What's new

Sony STR-DA2ES in stock at Crutchfield for $700. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Crutchfield put the Sony STR-DA2ES receiver up on its web site overnight. It is in stock for $700. From Crutchfield's web site, here are the key features:
* dual 32-bit processors for surround decoding (Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, Pro Logic II, DTS 96/24), DTS Neo:6 and DCS modes
* 100 watts x 6 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD
* 5.1 and 6.1-channel inputs
* 6.1-channel preamp out
* dual-room/dual-source capability (stereo preamp output for second room)
* component video switching: 2 in, 1 out (50MHz bandwidth)
* digital inputs: 4 optical (including 1 front-panel), 1 coaxial
* optical digital output
* 4 audio (including phono) and 5 A/V (including 1 front-panel and 4 S-video) inputs
* on-screen display (requires TV with direct video input)
* learning/multibrand remote with macros
* OP Processing
* wide-range frequency response
* stereo and multichannel analog direct modes
* digital and video power management
* aluminum front panel
* cast aluminum heat sink
* oversized transformers
* Control A1II
* 2 sets main speaker outs
* 16-15/16"W x 6-5/16"H x 16-5/16"D
* warranty: 5 years
Crutchfield also has posted pictures of the 'DA2ES. It looks like a DB receiver (i.e., 'DB1070) with the ES badge. Here is a link to the 'DA2ES at crutchfield.com:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...TRDA2E&o=m&a=0

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Wow, I must of just missed it last night. I checked Crutchfield last night before I went to bed to see if they have anything new up.

Your right it looks identical the DB series. So I'm guessing that they might discontinue the DB series altogether, and just make them all ES. I wonder how this model will do. Haven't read any that owns one yet.

So now I'm sure the 'DA4ES & 'DA7ES will be up shortly.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I just looked at a picture of the back panel of the 'DA2ES on Crutchfield's web site. The 'DA2ES has A and B front-speaker inputs, however the B inputs are just spring clips. The A inputs and all other speaker inputs are binding posts. Also, it looks to me from the picture like the RCA connectors (stereo analog inputs, coaxial digital input, component video inputs and outputs) are not gold-plated.

The 'DA2ES is a lower-rung ES model, but at $700 retail, it should have gold-plated connectors. I hope it does. Also, I don't like those spring clips on a $700 receiver. The 'DB930 I had a couple years ago had binding posts for B speaker inputs and gold-plated RCA connectors for the same price.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Wow, I never thought I would see spring clips on an ES receiver. Especially one that retails at $700. Like Keith said, when I had my DB930 it had binding posts for all speakers plus gold plated RCA connections. I believe that the DB930 even retailed less like $600. I thought only the DE series gets spring clips. I know Sony had to cut corners on the lower ES models, but adding spring clips on $700 receiver to me makes it feel cheap.

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing this unit, I am just really shocked.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Outside Nth America, this is the STR-DB1080 in the QS line. I'm sure I mentioned this in another thread...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, from what I have read, Sony will continue the DB series (part of the "Bridge Series") overseas. Abroad, Bridge Series components (receivers, minidisc players, CD players, and SACD players) have all carried the 'QS' badge. Anyway, I have read that Sony will be marketing a 'DB780 and 'DB1080 over there, which I imagine are the overseas versions of the 'DA1ES and 'DA2ES, respectively. We get a break here in the US since we get the five-year ES warranty with these units.

Regarding spring clips, I am thinking that the 'DA1ES and 'DA2ES are basically DB receivers with an ES badge. I wonder if they will perform to the ES standard. Certainly, I would not expect the 'DA1ES and 'DA2ES to perform at the level of the 'DA4ES or 'DA7ES, but I wonder if they will perform at the level of previous entry-level ES models (e.g., 'DA333ES, 'V333ES, or 'DA3ES). I am skeptical, especially since it looks like we are not getting true DB models here.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig, I just said the same thing. Our posts crossed. ;) I am guessing that the forthcoming 'VA333ES will be the overseas version of the 'DA4ES. I wonder if Sony will market a version of the 'DA7ES overseas ('VA777ES?).

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Yes, the DA1ES is the STR-DB780. I KNOW I have mentioned this in another thread.:b
edit - whoops, crossed posts again!
I have not seen mention of an equivalent to the 7ES on our market.:frowning:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig, it's O.K. I belive you! ;) I read about these models in What Hi*Fi? and Hi-Fi Choice out of UK. These magazines are available on some newsstands in the US.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Craig,

Have you got a chance to check out the 'DB780 or 'DB1080 in person? How does the build quality feel? Sound quality?

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
They look, feel, sound like the 870 and 1070 to me. I haven't listened extensively but just fairly briefly. Enough to tell they sound very similar and a step below the DA5ES/VA555ES.
I haven't found a 4ES/VA333ES to listen to yet so I'm relying on opinions from your side ;).

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
I guess with Sony releasing the 'DA1ES & 'DA2ES their trying to get a much wider consumer market for their ES line now. Hoping to pull in people just starting out in HT or Music and don't have a large budget to start.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
This isn't related, but I was rather shocked at Home Theater Mag's report on the 3ES, and that it held to spec on watts with all channels driven.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mark,
I too was impressed by the performance of the 'DA3ES on the test bench. Hopefully the new models will perform as well. Better would be acceptable too. :)
Craig,
Thanks for the info. on the 'DB780 and 'DB1080. I'm sure the 'DA1ES and 'DA2ES will prove to be an obvious step below the 'DA3ES, 'DA5ES, 'DA4ES, and 'DA7ES.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
STR-DB1080 weighs 13.3kg (29.3lbs), STRDB-780 is 12.5kg (27.5lbs), STR-VA333ES weighs 21kg (46.2lbs).

Then again, Oade bros site has the 2ES at 35.2lbs and the 4ES at 44lbs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig, if these weights are correct, perhaps these models are not equivalent (i.e., 'DB780 vs. 'DA1ES, 'DB1080 vs. 'DA2ES, and 'VA333ES vs. 'DA4ES). On the other hand, I am no electrical engineer, but perhaps there are some differences in the power supply sections since the US versions are set for 110V and the overseas versions are set for 220V.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
The small difference for the 4ES/VA333ES is probably in things like the power supply as you said, Keith. Our 1080 on the other hand, doesn't have component switching like your 2ES does but that was done to our version of the 1070 too since component is not as big a deal down here. I think that could well explain the large difference in quoted weights (which are never spot on anyway). The spec list (sound modes, amp channels, distortion/power...) is the same so I'm confident they are the equivalent models.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Just got back from the AV store and after checking out a the new XBR800, I had the salesman look up he weight on the 4 and 7. In the manual it says 21kg or 46.2lbs.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I've been looking for a receiver that will be able to drive speakers I have on the back porch, while only using 3 channels inside (L/R/C). Thanks to another thread, I have started to look at these new Sony's. Can anyone compare the multizone/source features of the 2es and 4es (and maybe even the 5es if it can still be found) against the Denon 1803?

I found a pic of one of the new Sonys last nite on the web that even seemed to come with 2 remotes - one for the second zone, but I can't seem to find it again.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks