What's new

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1 Viewer)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
The Big Reel. I don't know if it's still around, but it was a mag dedicated to the buying/selling of film.

How does it compare? Well, to be honest, I sold the film before DVD was released. Here's what I remember: scratches, not so many splices, the detail and color was extraordinary compared to LD, but I'd have a hard time deciding which is better-a heavy, bulky 35mm print or a 2 oz. remastered DVD, both shown on a 9 ft. screen. I'd bet the DVD would give the print a run for its money. It's been way too long to say which is better, but I do know that storing several hundred DVDs is better than several hundred 35mm prints.

I don't know if it's truly psychological, but there's this old-school feeling about watching a 35mm print of a film like that. Even if you watched a film on the same screen as the same movie on DVD, the film would make you "feel" like you were in whatever your favorite theater was at the time. It's almost like the defects give it the feeling like you're watching it in a theater. Like vinyl albums.

A side note about film - it's hit or miss. My 1977 35mm print of Star Wars is fading, except for reel 5 which was printed on Fuji stock (but with the same date mark). I loved collecting film, but it was terribly inconvenient. Temperature control alone is a big problem. When we were married and alone, we had room but now we have two kids and no room. I still have a projector and a half, but no room for the projector anymore so it's in the garage (Simplex E7).

Mike

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

How much do older 35mm films ('77 Star Wars, C3K, etc.) of this nature typically cost? Not that I'm interested, but I know little about it and I find it intriguing. It's got to be a great experience for reasons you mentioned.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
That depends on the film, its condition, what film stock it was printed on, and if they're desperate to get rid if it.

My BTTF was $150 (I sold it for exactly the same price to a friend of mine). That's dirt cheap. CE3K was $125, but mono. Star Wars was $600, but overpriced considering its condition (and it's starting to smell of vinegar now). A pristine 1977 35mm tech print of Star Wars can go for $5000.

I don't have much film left anymore. I actually have more trailers than movies, but again, back then DVDs weren't out and trailers were hard to find. Now they're on almost every DVD. Some of my trailers are in better shape than what you get on some DVDs.

Mike

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
don't know if anybody brough this up,but when they
did the columbia dvd,they didn't included the fine
Photo gallery of the laser set,maybe at some piont they
will do another version with this back in

isn't there also a superbit version in japan?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dave, the japanese version is region 2. If you do see one say on Ebay, that is region free, it is a bootleg.
The Japanese SB is actually split over 2 discs for just the film!!!!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
All I know is this thread has made me want to watch C3K again. I have a completely new (much improved) set-up since I last watched it a few years ago. It should be fun. :)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I don't think we'll ever see the true 1977 version released on any format. Even the Criterion laserdisc was compromised (one shot replaced with a shot from the 1980 SE, and two other scenes trimmed). Speilberg just won't allow it.

-Lyle J.P.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It's the film's 30th anniversary next year - something I imagine Sony, with their obsessive re-releasing of popular catalogue titles, will not have failed to notice. There's the vast stills collection featured on the laserdisc that didn't make it over to the original DVD, plus the other missing snippets people have mentioned on this thread for an expanded outtakes section. A third disc with both the 1977 and 1980 versions available via seamless branching would also be most welcome. Any other ideas?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Spielberg has a right to hate that spaceship interior sequence... it's a failure of imagination.

Now if only Sony will finally give his final cut a proper, clean transfer with really, really good re-mastered sound. I watched the current DVD the other day and I was asking myself, "is this the best they could do??"

Dan

AlexCremers

Second Unit
I should stress that I indeed love the scene of the mothership interior, but only as an extra, and not in the film. It's the kind of SFX I respond to, emotionally as well as physically.

Alex

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I bought the 2 disc collectors edition when it was released in 2001. I watched it like crazy when I first bought it, and watched it last night for the first time in over 5 years. I blame this partly on the fact that I buy so many dvd's, it's hard for me to get back to those that I really love.

I'm going to watch this film annualy from here on out. It's hard to describe how much I love this movie, because it is just so epic, thought provoking, and great. When it comes to Spielberg, many will say Jaws is his crowning achievment. IMO, Jaws is a great film, but Close Encounters is purely magical, and much better. Not only did Spielberg make a masterpiece, he also wrote the novel(which I have read, and is also very good) so he really proved himself an incredible talent.

I regret not watching Close Encounters at my local cineplex, but then again I was only 6 years old at the time. I wonder if there is a full screen edition available on dvd. I always prefer Widescreen dvd's, but full screen is how I watched it for the first time on the ABC Sunday night movie when I was in sixth grade. My feelings for movies in general more than tripled after I watched it, and I am that much of nut about this movie.

If a new release happens next year, I will be more than happy.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I watched this again just recently too- maybe two weeks back.

I had remembered being very disappointed in the transfer when I first saw it, but for some reason, I thought it looked fine this last viewing- with the possible exception of the first few scenes in the desert where there is some nasty, noticeable ringing. Otherwise I think I can ride out a Bd release, if the players are still tagged at $1K or more.

a 30th anniversary re-release is likely- especially since they will be able to exploit a Bd version along with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks