What's new

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1 Viewer)

Steven_M Grimes

Stunt Coordinator
It's been years since I tried this, but my recollection is that the instructions included with the LD box gave incorrect chapter listings, but it was possible to get the chapters in pretty much the right order for the "extended version" if you knew what goes where.
It's also been years since I've tried it, but my recollection is that the placement of one of the chapter stops prevents you from omitting the original Neary Introduction. I'll be checking out the LD when I get home tonight to see if I'm remembering it wrong.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Another trim that is NOT in either the 1998 edit or the DVD version is the closeup on the McDonald's sign during Roy Neary's first encounter.
FWIW, I'm fairly certain that this trim is contained as an unmarked chapter on the appropriate side of the Criterion CAV set.

DJ

Jo_C

Second Unit
The close-up of the McDonalds' sign is chapter-marked and can be found in the SE section of side One of the Criterion LD.

Steven_M Grimes

Stunt Coordinator
My bad. I only meant to mention that the Mcdonalds sign bit was not in the 1998 (and DVD) version, which I find puzzling since they apparently went to the trouble and expense of filming a new effects shot for the special edition, obstensibly to "fix" the sequence.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Really? I always thought it was part of the compromises Spielberg had to make to get the 1980 version made (i.e., Columbia asked for more obvious product placement).

-Lyle J.P.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The closeup of the McDonald's sign was ONLY in the 1980 Special Edition. I'm not sure if it was product placement or if the closeup was to make the joke more clear... the joke being that the sign says "McDonald's next right" or some such thing, and the UFO makes a right on the road.

It is not possible to program the Criterion disc exactly like the Special Edition, because both the Special Edition and the 1998 edit cut back and forth between Lacombe and Neary much more frequently. The original theatrical cut (and the Criterion disc) had a Neary sequence, then a Lacombe sequence, then a Neary sequence, etc. It wasn't Neary scene/Lacombe scene/Neary scene/Lacombe scene as it was after 1980. The order of the early scenes was different in the original cut.

I prefer the structure of the original. You had three scenes leading up to Barry's abduction, and they all began and ended with the five-note tone -- Lacombe addressing the assembly, which ended with his demonstration of the hand signal, cutting directly to the observatory sequence, which begins with the satellite picking up the five-note "beeps" and ends with Lacombe picking out the five-note tone on a keyboard, which cuts to Barry playing the tone on his toy xylophone. It was great, it just gave you chills.

But for some reason Spielberg decided he prefers Lacombe at the assembly to be followed by Neary loading his camera on the hilltop. This scene originally came after Roy gets fired, which of course ended with the pillow bit. (And even in the current version Roy makes a reference to the pillow scene when he's helping Barry build the mud tower -- "I've seen this before -- in shaving cream, pillowcases.")

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The McDonalds Shot,

I figured the purpose of this related to one of the early conceptions that the ailen spaceships were going to show themselves to earthlings with familiar product logos, lile McDonalds. I know that this was mentioned in the Documentary

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Wow. This is pretty fascinating reading. In my youth I saw this film numerous times during both theatrical runs as well as many times on video, network television, cable, etc. I thought I knew the details about all of the different versions; apparently I was wrong. You guys have me beat!

One question:
8. The "final director's cut" screened at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science's Samuel Goldwyn Theater on January 12, 1999 (this was edited according to an original Spielberg story outline---and markedly different than the 1998 edit).
I've never heard of this one. What's the story behind it? Did Spielberg do the editing or did someone else do it? More importantly...why? It seems a little strange to me.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic documentary on the 2-Disc CE DVD! I'd highly recommend this excellent 90-minute+ documentary to anyone who's never seen it.

I, for one, enjoyed each and every one of the many deleted scenes on the DVD (even though they were quite bleached of color and showed their age). I can see why Spielberg didn't want to include many of these, but, still, great stuff.

(Truffaut reading from the paperback romance novel will make you smile, although having nothing to do with the project at hand. :))

"Heaving with passion, her young breasts rose with arrogance...." :)

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
has anyone bought the single-disc DVD that is now out?
I have the 2-disc but was wondering about getting the single one as it mentions something like "new high-definition transfer" on the back. does anyone have both? does the single one look better than the double, picture-wise?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I really think it is just first disc of the 2 disc set. Identical. This happens on alot of 2 disc titles

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if there will ever be a Superbit version, especially since Columbia is releasing older titles now.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I wonder if there will ever be a Superbit version, especially since Columbia is releasing older titles now.
Presumably the current releases are already SuperBit discs, as the movie disc (either disc 1 of the 2-disc set or the single disc release) has only the movie with DD and DTS 5.1 tracks and no extras. Perhaps compression methods have improved in the last 3 years, though. The removal of the 2.0 dub tracks may also provide some marginal improvement to the peak bitrate, too, but I doubt it would be significant.

DJ

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I've never heard of this one. What's the story behind it? Did Spielberg do the editing or did someone else do it? More importantly...why? It seems a little strange to me.
I've been wondering about this, too. I remember hearing about the limited release in '99, but I thought it was the '98 LD edit.

I have the '98 VHS and the 2-disc DVD. From what I can tell, they are the same version. What are the differences between this and the '99 theatrical release?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about anyone else but I actually like the ending with Roy inside the mothership. I like the effects, the music and Roy's reaction to seeing it all. It demystified the UFO's to a certain extent, but IMO it seemed like a bigger pay-off to the entire movie than just seeing Roy board the ship and take off.
Agreed. Personally, I enjoy the movie more with that ending...seems more of a "payoff" after the long journey to that finish line.

Britton

Screenwriter
Many clueless audience members also thought that the shower of lights that hits him inside turns him into the alien that comes out at the end! I overheard them on the way out of my theatre every night when I played the special edition in 1980
:laugh: That's great!!! :laugh:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Presumably the current releases are already SuperBit discs, as the movie disc (either disc 1 of the 2-disc set or the single disc release) has only the movie with DD and DTS 5.1 tracks and no extras. Perhaps compression methods have improved in the last 3 years, though. The removal of the 2.0 dub tracks may also provide some marginal improvement to the peak bitrate, too, but I doubt it would be significant.
In addition, Superbits are known to have had less filtering which results in greater horizontal detail. Bjoern (sp.?) has talked about this before I believe.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
", I enjoy the movie more with that ending...seems more of a "payoff" after the long journey to that finish line."

Is that scene in the 2-Disc DVD edition in it's entirety? It seems like it fades off prematurely during the "Shower of Lights" I wish on this DVD and many others that the deleted scenes were bookended by a few seconds of the Theatrical cut so you could see exactly where the deleted scene would have been

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks