What's new

'Cleaning' Power and Remotes (1 Viewer)

Devilish21ca

Agent
Real Name
David Sheedy
Good day; I'm about to pull together a home theatre project that includes a PAN TH58PZ700U plasma, an Onkyo SR805 reciever, Definitive Mythos speakers, an HD DVD player, and a HD PVR (cable). It will all sit in an in-wall cabinet with one of those pull-out-rotate gear racks. I have two questions:

1 - Do I need to 'clean' the power on the way in (or otherwise regulate it) or is a really go surge protector sufficient? I've no problem getting it if it is needed, but I don't want to buy more than I need either. Also, since the room is being wired, how should the AC be made available to the gear area?

2 - We are probably going to have a cabinet door in front of the gear; this would seem to indicate I need an RF remote, though I could go with an IR kit that runs through the all to the cabinet. Any recommendations on which is better, and a manufacturer?

Thanks in advance,

David Sheedy

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you go RF, the Harmony 890 is very nice. I use the IR only model 880 to control all of my gear. Otherwise, IR repeaters from Wired Home (available at Parts Express) are nice as well. Then you can get into the Crestron level if you have the money.

-Robert

joseph westcott

Second Unit
I suggest just getting a Tripp Lite Surge Protector. I use the HT10DBS. It provides signal isolation and 3750 joules of protection. The equipment insurance is $100,000!!!!! for all UL or CSA connected components.

A more expensive solution like Panamax, Monster Power and others is not needed in most cases since most quality hardware (like the ones you listed) have more than adequate self regulating power supplies.

Devilish21ca

Agent
Real Name
David Sheedy
That did it, thanks; ordered it last night. My electrician also mentioned a surge protector breaker that he is going to put in our panel (seperate power for the system), so that'll provide even more protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks