What's new

Power Distribution for a Server Rack (1 Viewer)

dorito777

Agent
Real Name
Dori
I am going to be moving into my new home soon and wanted to get prepared for a server rack I have been putting together over the last few months. The rack is a large 42U server rack from Tripp Lite. So far, I have the following components in the rack:
  • NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with Tri-band (Although this may sit in a distribution hub downstairs)
  • ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (Although this may sit in a distribution hub downstairs)
  • Furman PL-PLUS DMC Power Conditioner with Voltmeter / AMMeter
  • Custom Built NAS for Plex (FreeNAS)
    • Chassis - Supermicro 846BE16-R1K28B
    • Motherboard - Supermicro MBD-X10SRH-CLN4F-O
    • Memory - Crucial 16GB ECC RDIMM DDR4-2400 x2 (32GB)
    • CPU - Intel Xeon E5-1640 v4
    • Boot Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 120GB
    • HDD - 8x WD Red 4TB's (Expandable to 24 drives)
  • TP-Link 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Rackmount Switch (TL-SG1024)

When I move into the new house, I will be adding in the following components:
  • PS4 Pro (x2)
  • AV Receiver (Haven't picked one out yet, but it will be a powerful 7.2+ receiver capable of 4k passthrough, HDR, and all the bells and whistles)
  • NVIDIA Shield
  • Nintendo Switch (Possibly?)
  • HDHomeRun Connect Quattro
  • Possibly more components based on automation, custom remote control systems, or video games requirements

The server rack will sit in the closet of a home theater room. I have the power conditioner to keep the power clean going into the components (something I read was a benefit, especially for AV receivers). My question is how I should be protecting the equipment and what I should purchase to provide power distribution and useful functionality to the server rack. I have seen many versions of PDUs for TrippLite racks online, but I am not sure how to configure it. Should I purchase a large vertical PDU and plug that into the power conditioner? Should the power conditioner be plugged directly into the wall? Or should I do the opposite....only the receiver goes into the power conditioner, which goes to the PDU, which goes to the wall....and the rest of the components just go to the PDU directly? I want to have an idea of how to set this up beforehand, so when we get to the house, I can plug things in without having to rerun wires and reconfigure things multiple times. Thank you!

dorito777

Agent
Real Name
Dori
Here is what I was PLANNING to do and people can correct me if I am wrong.

I was planning to purchase a large vertical TrippLite (or another recommended brand) power strip. I was planning on plugging this into the power conditioner and then plugging all of the components into the power strip. The power conditioner would be plugged into the wall directly. If/when I ever end up purchasing an UPS, I would plug the power conditioner into the UPS and the UPS would be plugged into the wall.

Does this make sense or should I switch things around?

dorito777

Agent
Real Name
Dori
Does anyone have any feedback on this or have a recommended forum I could post this on to get the help I need? I want to make sure I do this properly.

dorito777

Agent
Real Name
Dori
Is there a forum or advice mechanism where I can get this information from? I don't want to drop hundreds of dollars on equipment that is either unnecessary or will harm my configuration.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I can’t really answer your questions but I can give a practical example. I have a professionally installed home theater, comparatively modest as these things go.

The installer installed new dedicated circuit breakers in the main panel for the room. At the equipment closet, there’s the one power cord going to the rack, which connects to a Power Conditioner. All the electronics plug into the power conditioner. It’s a Panamax, the MR5100 I think.

“MR5100 Power Management | Panamax | #1 in power protection”
http://www.panamax.com/product/mr5100-power-management-MR5100

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
i do not have a UPS on the theater room. If there’s a power loss, I’m not concerned about trying to keep the theater up and running. Having a UPC on the media computer would be nice, but not critical.

I’ve been considering putting a UPC on the house’s core internet “modem”and router. I’ve read that’s useful in keeping home WiFi running despite a short term power loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks