What's new

ClassicFlix Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Got my World of Giants blu ray already. What a great restoration job! Amazingly sharp PQ for a disc based on 16mm material.

Great '50s spy-fi action with plenty of familiar '50s genre supporting actors such as James Seay, Don C. Harvey, Nestor Paiva, Edgar Barrier and John van Dreelen, and, on the distaff side, Peggie Castle, Pamela Duncan and Allison Hayes. And genre directors including Jack Arnold, Byron Haskin, Nathan Juran and Eugene Lourie!

If you're at all a fan of Incredible Shrinking Man you're sure to love this!

Great work, ClassicFlix!
Agreed it is a fun series, it reminds me in a way, of the 70s Hanna Barbera cartoon, inch High Private Eye

But better, more involved...maybe Land of the Giants is more appropriate?

I had never seen it but pre ordered it along with a new 2- fer set in the steamliner series of dvds. watched it last, both in Cinecolor...pretty amazing it was Hal Roach's reboot to the our gang comedies. Fun but although interesting to see them in Color and to have the great and creepy George Zucco in the spooky secoond feature "Who Killed Doc Robin" they weren't as good as the originals. That said, these are very nicely done and a fun addition to any light comedy collection.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Agreed Bob, although TASL was released by two companies, little was done to restor the episodes and neither truly did justice to the series. Here is s snipit from the WP data sheet:
"The complete series of 30 episodes were released as a DVD boxed set in the UK by Network DVD in 2004. Of the 14 episodes made in colour, only 12 are presented in colour for financial reasons. The other two colour episodes ('The Ugly Duckling' and 'The Missing Princess') are taken from black and white prints. In the US, the series was released as a DVD boxed set on 19 August 2008 by Timeless Media Group with 14 episodes presented in colour, taken from US public domain prints." ** side note - Also Alpha Video did several volumes of this series as well, but again, no restorations were done.
View attachment 200159
Dixon of Dock Green was a long running British TV police station series going from b&w to color and all starring English comedian Jack Warner who originated the Dixon role on The Blue Lamp (Ealing 1950). Dixon became the oldest serving police officer!!!! The UK series never screened in Australia which was odd for a British series of any kind as Z Cars and it spin-offs all did. There were DVDs issued in UK of this BBC series but, alas, in their wisdom, the BBC had wiped or junked countless episodes to my dismay. Z Cars and other series suffered the same fate along with many episodes of various BBC Radio shows of note and popularity. I am always a buyer of British TV series if they eventuate.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Check out this just posted restoration comparison of our upcoming Blu-ray release of Sam Wood's OUR TOWN (1940) starring William Holden & Martha Scott.

Beautifully restored by ClassicFlix from 35mm film elements preserved by the Library of Congress, Thornton Wilder’s immortal classic Our Town (1940) starring William Holden and Martha Scott makes its Blu-ray debut.

Touching, yet unsentimental—tender, yet heart-breaking, Thornton Wilder’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play Our Town is a pensive look surrounding the lives of two families in the fictitious hamlet of Grover’s Corners, New Hampshire. While a literal time capsule of early 20th century America, the story’s power transcends era and locale with its universally timeless themes of love, loss and the fleeting nature of life.

When independent producer Sol Lesser purchased the film rights to Our Town, he signed Wilder to adapt the play for the silver screen, as well as actor Frank Craven, who also reprised his stage role as the “stage manager” for the movie version. The film would go on to earn six Academy Award nominations in all, including Best Picture, Best Actress (Martha Scott in her film debut) and Best Original Score (Aaron Copland).

Directed by three-time Oscar nominee Sam Wood (Kitty Foyle) and featuring the innovative production design of William Cameron Menzies (Gone With the Wind), Our Town stars William Holden (Sunset Boulevard) in the role of George Gibbs with Scott reprising her role of Emily Webb from the stage play. Rounding out a top-notch cast is Thomas Mitchell (Alias Nick Beal), Beulah Bondi (Make Way for Tomorrow), Fay Bainter (Jezebel), Guy Kibbee (Captain January), Stuart Erwin (Make Me a Star), and the aforementioned Frank Craven.

BONUS FEATURES:

• Audio commentary by actor and film score restorationist Ray Faiola
  • Rare interview of Thornton Wilder by actress Lilli Palmer on her TV program from the early 1950s where they discuss prolific Spanish playwright Lope de Vega
  • The Campbell Playhouse radio production of Our Town broadcast on May 12, 1939. Produced by Orson Welles and starring Welles as the stage manager and featuring Agnes Moorehead, Ray Collins, Everett Sloane and John Craven reprising his role of George from the 1938 play
  • The Lux Radio Theatre production of Our Town broadcast on May 6th, 1940 with most of the stars from the motion picture including William Holden, Martha Scott, Frank Craven, Thomas Mitchell, Fay Bainter, Beulah Bondi, Guy Kibbee and Stuart Irwin
  • Restoration comparison
- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Our Winter Blowout Sale is live at ClassicFlix and includes two recent releases and many at lowest price to date!

FIRST TIME ON SALE

- Film Noir Blonde Ice BD (1948)
- Rare TV 21 Beacon Street - The Complete Series starring Dennis Morgan

LOWEST PRICE TO DATE

- Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series, BD starring Arthur Lake, Pamela Britton and Florenz Ames
- Hi Diddle Diddle (1943), Silver Series BD starring Dennis O'Keefe, Martha Scott, Adolphe Menjou, Billie Burke, Pola Negri, June Havoc
- The Little Rascals - The Complete Collection (Centennial Edition) BD
- Mickey Spillane Film Noir The Long Wait (1954) UHD/BD starring Anthony Quinn, Peggie Castle, Charles Coburn and Gene Evans
- Suspense/Thriller Obsessed (1951) BD starring David Farrar and Geraldine Fitzgerald

Sale ends December 31st.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Check out this just posted restoration comparison of our upcoming Blu-ray release of Sam Wood's OUR TOWN (1940) starring William Holden & Martha Scott.

Beautifully restored by ClassicFlix from 35mm film elements preserved by the Library of Congress, Thornton Wilder’s immortal classic Our Town (1940) starring William Holden and Martha Scott makes its Blu-ray debut.

Touching, yet unsentimental—tender, yet heart-breaking, Thornton Wilder’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play Our Town is a pensive look surrounding the lives of two families in the fictitious hamlet of Grover’s Corners, New Hampshire. While a literal time capsule of early 20th century America, the story’s power transcends era and locale with its universally timeless themes of love, loss and the fleeting nature of life.

When independent producer Sol Lesser purchased the film rights to Our Town, he signed Wilder to adapt the play for the silver screen, as well as actor Frank Craven, who also reprised his stage role as the “stage manager” for the movie version. The film would go on to earn six Academy Award nominations in all, including Best Picture, Best Actress (Martha Scott in her film debut) and Best Original Score (Aaron Copland).

Directed by three-time Oscar nominee Sam Wood (Kitty Foyle) and featuring the innovative production design of William Cameron Menzies (Gone With the Wind), Our Town stars William Holden (Sunset Boulevard) in the role of George Gibbs with Scott reprising her role of Emily Webb from the stage play. Rounding out a top-notch cast is Thomas Mitchell (Alias Nick Beal), Beulah Bondi (Make Way for Tomorrow), Fay Bainter (Jezebel), Guy Kibbee (Captain January), Stuart Erwin (Make Me a Star), and the aforementioned Frank Craven.

BONUS FEATURES:

• Audio commentary by actor and film score restorationist Ray Faiola
  • Rare interview of Thornton Wilder by actress Lilli Palmer on her TV program from the early 1950s where they discuss prolific Spanish playwright Lope de Vega
  • The Campbell Playhouse radio production of Our Town broadcast on May 12, 1939. Produced by Orson Welles and starring Welles as the stage manager and featuring Agnes Moorehead, Ray Collins, Everett Sloane and John Craven reprising his role of George from the 1938 play
  • The Lux Radio Theatre production of Our Town broadcast on May 6th, 1940 with most of the stars from the motion picture including William Holden, Martha Scott, Frank Craven, Thomas Mitchell, Fay Bainter, Beulah Bondi, Guy Kibbee and Stuart Irwin
  • Restoration comparison
- David

Will your blu-ray of Our Town include subtitles?

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Below is a sneak peek at the final artwork for our upcoming MEET JOHN DOE release.

DOE is undergoing a full 4K restoration and we hope to announce the street date soon.

MJD BluFinal4minoredit800.jpg

- David

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Balls of Fire 1941 has the same team of Stanwych & Cooper - I'd love to see a fulllrestoration of that film as well as the remake with Kaye and Mayo 1948 A Song is Born (a little more musical).

Last edited:

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Both Goldwyn titles, but I believe BALL OF FIRE (a personal fav of mine) is with Warner and SONG used to be with MGM.

Wish I had better news, but I wouldn't hold my breath on either being restored and released...

- David

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Both Goldwyn titles, but I believe BALL OF FIRE (a personal fav of mine) is with Warner and SONG used to be with MGM.

Wish I had better news, but I wouldn't hold my breath on either being restored and released...

- David
Thanks David, could Song is Born be with Paramount? They did a wonderful job with Kaye's The Court Jester...his catalog might be there as well...hard to say anymore!!

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Getting the best elements are an issue with DOA.

I talked with Wade Williams (whose library is said to have the best elements), and who passed away in January, about it and many other properties several years ago, but his asking price was through the roof and not realistic at all.

One can only hope that it may be released in HD someday, but it's another title that may never be release in HD.

- David

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Getting the best elements are an issue with DOA.

I talked with Wade Williams (whose library is said to have the best elements), and who passed away in January, about it and many other properties several years ago, but his asking price was through the roof and not realistic at all.

One can only hope that it may be released in HD someday, but it's another title that may never be release in HD.

- David

I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps with a potential status change in Mr. Williams' library, things might be different at some future point. Thank you for the reply.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
With an official street date of December 19th, we've started shipping our latest release, Our Town (1940), for those who have purchased their copies at ClassicFlix.com.

Beautifully restored by ClassicFlix from 35mm film elements preserved by the Library of Congress, Thornton Wilder’s immortal classic is making its Blu-ray debut and stars William Holden and Martha Scott. Featured are Fay Bainter, Beulah Bondi, Thomas Mitchell, Guy Kibbee, Stuart Erwin and Frank Craven.

Details are below, but check out our restoration comparison from the film.

BONUS FEATURES:

- Audio commentary by actor and film score restorationist Ray Faiola
- Rare interview of Thornton Wilder by actress Lilli Palmer on her TV program from the early 1950s where they discuss prolific Spanish playwright Lope de Vega
- The Campbell Playhouse radio production of Our Town broadcast on May 12, 1939. Produced by Orson Welles and starring Welles as the stage manager and featuring Agnes Moorehead, Ray Collins, Everett Sloane and John Craven reprising his role of George from the 1938 play
- The Lux Radio Theatre production of Our Town broadcast on May 6th, 1940 with most of the stars from the motion picture including William Holden, Martha Scott, Frank Craven, Thomas Mitchell, Fay Bainter, Beulah Bondi, Guy Kibbee and Stuart Irwin
- Restoration comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks