What's new

ClassicFlix Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Hi Diddle Diddle is out today on Blu-ray!

Have you picked up your copy?

A screwball comedy with few rivals, Hi Diddle Diddle and all its madcap glory is making its Blu-ray debut and stars Dennis O'Keefe, Adolphe Menjou, Billie Burke, Martha Scott, Pola Negri, June Havoc and Walter Kingsford.

Animated wallpaper, breaking of the fourth wall and an actress that shows up in almost every scene playing different characters because she's "a special friend of the director's", Hi Diddle Diddle has to be seen to be believed.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I remember liking the Dennis O’Keefe Show as a youngster, and I don’t think I have any film in my collection with him in it. I was only vaguely aware of Hi Diddle Diddle and don’t recall ever seeing it. But because of O’Keefe and the synopsis, plus wanting to encourage the release of more hidden gems like this, mine is on order. Looking forward to it.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
I remember liking the Dennis O’Keefe Show as a youngster, and I don’t think I have any film in my collection with him in it. I was only vaguely aware of Hi Diddle Diddle and don’t recall ever seeing it. But because of O’Keefe and the synopsis, plus wanting to encourage the release of more hidden gems like this, mine is on order. Looking forward to it.
Thanks for wanting to support this release. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

On his film career, while Dennis O'Keefe is generally known for his noirs like T-MEN (1947) and RAW DEAL (1948), he was a poor man's Cary Grant and capable of playing the lead in many genres.

While his string of noirs would come later, O'Keefe was at the very beginning of his screwball comedy phase with DIDDLE which would later include UP IN MABEL'S ROOM (1944), BREWSTER'S MILLIONS (1945) and GETTING GERTIE'S GARTER (1945)--all of which I consider very funny.

- David

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
This is great news about "The Proud Rebel" which has never had a good home video release. A personal favorite of mine.
Yes, I'm delighted. A 4K scan of the OCN as a starting point with more remedial work in store. Any film directed by Michael Curtiz and starring Alan Ladd and Olivia de Havilland is to be welcomed.

jsmiller60

Auditioning
Thanks for wanting to support this release. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

On his film career, while Dennis O'Keefe is generally known for his noirs like T-MEN (1947) and RAW DEAL (1948), he was a poor man's Cary Grant and capable of playing the lead in many genres.

While his string of noirs would come later, O'Keefe was at the very beginning of his screwball comedy phase with DIDDLE which would later include UP IN MABEL'S ROOM (1944), BREWSTER'S MILLIONS (1945) and GETTING GERTIE'S GARTER (1945)--all of which I consider very funny.

- David
I recall you mentioning that UP IN MABEL’S ROOM or GETTING GERTIE’S GARTER was coming from ClassicFlix. Is this still the case?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
While I'm thrilled that The Proud Rebel is being worked on for an eventual blu ray release (and in its OAR finally), the news is bittersweet for me. My film buff buddy Charles was a HUGE Alan Ladd fan and this was one of his favorite Ladd movies. He hated that all available transfers were shoddy looking and full frame rather than OAR. He would be over the moon at this news but sadly, he passed away last year.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yes, we had, but we had to put the deal off and we hope to acquire them in the near future.
My biggest hope right now for ClassicFlix, David, is that you will be able to continue to restore and release the Hopalong Cassidy westerns. I’m gonna do my part by pre-ordering when they come available and encouraging everyone else to pre-order them, so that you can continue the line to the very end.

Gary “this film series is the most exciting news I’ve heard in some time, so I really hope it continues“ O.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
While I'm thrilled that The Proud Rebel is being worked on for an eventual blu ray release (and in its OAR finally), the news is bittersweet for me. My film buff buddy Charles was a HUGE Alan Ladd fan and this was one of his favorite Ladd movies. He hated that all available transfers were shoddy looking and full frame rather than OAR. He would be over the moon at this news but sadly, he passed away last year.
it's sad that so many of Ladd's later day titles are so hard to find, and when you do they're in shoddy dvd collections from wornout elements. The Black Knight, Botany Bay and my favorite Iron Mistress are still MIA for restorations and BD upgrades?

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
it's sad that so many of Ladd's later day titles are so hard to find, and when you do they're in shoddy dvd collections from wornout elements. The Black Knight, Botany Bay and my favorite Iron Mistress are still MIA for restorations and BD upgrades?
I hope that all three get a restored blu ray treatment at some point. At least Iron Mistress(WBA) and The Black Knight(MC) have US dvd releases. But i don't believe Botany Bay has ever had a US dvd release.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The DVD-R of Drum Beat has lousy picture quality.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cindydo
Recent bookmarks