What's new

clarification with my surround/dipole/adp setups (1 Viewer)

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
I have read a few things lately about dipole surrounds being good for HT if they are in the correct room. What by defintion is the correct room for dipole surrounds, more specifically the Paradigm ADP 370's. I basically have a choice between two rooms to put my stuff in both have their own disadvantages/advantages when it comes to surround sound. Both of the rooms are 11x15. Room #1 leads into a hallway where the right ADP would be firing back so I don't think it would work with them as I have heard they require a clear back wall. Room #2 has a back wall on both sides but the wall comes out a bit for a closet structure that protrudes out about 2ft. This would make the surrounds closer together and they would be firing at my Paradigm Monitor 7's. Would this cancel out some sound? Do the surrounds have to spread further apart from left to right vice versa than the front speakers.

Honestly neither room is perfect for a HT but I'm 20 and just starting out in this so I can live with less than ideal conditions. I just want to make sure its in the best possible room. I have some pictures of both rooms on my computer but I don't know how to post them on here or anything.

I have a Sony Da4es so I can accomadate a 7.1 setup, is an 11x15 too small for 7.1? If so than what I wanted to do was go with 5.1 with Dipoles. I currently am using some teeny sony speakers as my surrounds and they do seem to localized and not as enveloping as I would like. I don't think 2 mini-monitors would improve the envelopment aspect but 4 might.

Sorry for the long post, but I can't seem to figure it out myself...and both my rooms are fairly unique so I can't really go on any of the other threads. Any suggestions/opinions and or follow up questions will be appreciated.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Bipole speakers running in dipole mode should be placed directly to either side of the key listening position about 3 feet above head level.

If you put them behind you, switch them to bipole mode.

In case you don't know the difference, dipole mode places the rear facing part of the speaker out of phase with the front facing part of the speaker. Bipole mode runs both parts of the speaker in phase.

Regards,

Ed

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
Does the distance between the surrounds speakers have to be farther than the distance between the front speakers. For example: with dipole/bipole surrounds

LF-----TV-----RFront

Ls------------RSurround

OR

LF-----TV-----RFfront

LS---------------------------RSurround

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
well that didn't turn out as well as I liked on the bottom one the Left surround would be farther to the left as far as the right surround is to the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rixoci
Recent bookmarks