What's new

Choosing the driver... and current sales (1 Viewer)

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I realise I should be asking this directly to the manufacturers... but I thought I throw it on here if any of you know when the specials end for:

1)Tempest : is currently 150$ shipped
2)AV15 : pre-order 165$ + shipping (I heard April 7th?)

It's just that I haven't decided... and they both are at such great prices right now... I don't want to miss out.

I've got a power amp on the way (JBL MPC200 with an optimistic max of 700W@4ohm bridged) and I wound like to build a ported enclosure of about 6ft3 although I could stretch it to the 8ft3 of the Adire alignment if need be. Once I calculate materials for building the box, I could probably stretch the budget for the Stryke but I don't know how much it'll cost to ship and get across the border... I've written to John, but I haven't heard from him yet. I know the Tempest to my door will cost me 225$cnd... but the AV15 could cost as much as 385$cnd depending a lot on brokerage... and delivery won't be till June.

The way I see it, I have to decide this week! Many of you have had both... what are your opinions??

Thanks...
Rob

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Standard questions: How big is your room? How loud do you want it?
On an absolute level, the AV15 is a better driver. However, if there's that much of a disparity in price, you have to decide if it's worth it based on your performance goals.
As far as dates, the Tempest has been that price for as long as I can remember. I think you're right on the AV15 pre-order date.
With that power, I like the AV15 in about 200 liters ported to 18Hz.

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the info... it gives a week to decide then...

opps... I should have mentioned my design data.... :D

Right now it would be for a 17x13x8 room open to a hall of about 10x10 but it will eventually move to a dedicated room of about 20x12 x7. As for SPL, I don't listen to music sources above 110db... so i guess a 110db in room with head room would be nice. I have an Energy ES12 right now, and it just can't keep up. So maybe a little more db...

thanks...
Rob.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
the av15 is a sweet sub. i have 2 powered with 500 wats each and they can crank. you would also have to wait for 10-12 weeks for them to be maid.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
You can have Stryke send the driver by USPS, that will cut out the brokerage fee.

People need to understand that the 'ETA' on preorders is a very rough guess (aka crap shoot). In the past preorders from several mfgrs have tended to be strung out LONG after the anticipated arrival date.

So the price paid for getting the driver at a nice discount is frequently a couple months of delay in getting the drivers.

If a person can hang on and not have an anxiety attack, this is a great way to get extremely good deals on drivers. But if one's schedule or persona is fixated on having a system up and running by a specific date, preorders aren't a good idea

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
If a person can hang on and not have an anxiety attack, this is a great way to get extremely good deals on drivers. But if one's schedule or persona is fixated on having a system up and running by a specific date, preorders aren't a good idea
For some of the most vocally impatient, I'd bet that a pre-order is the only way they can even afford the "good stuff". The wait is part of it...deal.

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
Ok... I think you guys have sold me. I'll try to contact stryke this week and if he sends it USPS ... it's no contest... I'm going to get a AV15 on preorder... !

The amp has got the power to use the AV15 to it's fullest and i already have a sub till that one ships... but I'm already looking forward to it!

Thanks for your posts...
Rob

Dan Dubeau

Auditioning
Rob, Just wondering where you can get a tempest for $225cdn shipped to your door. I have been looking but the cheapest i can find is at CSS and it's about $267cdn including shipping

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the Tempest deal has gotten a lot sweeter for us Canadians, as well as that $166 Shiva deal we had last week. Sorta regretting not picking one or five up :)

If you do end up getting the AV15, I'd be very interested in what it comes to in CDN $$$. It seems the only sure way to find out is to actually order it and then check your bill.

Andrew

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
I spoke with Stryke, and they are willing to ship it using the regular mail (USPS) which, in my experience, has avoided most of the brokerage/duty fees. The driver shipped with the exchange will run about 310$cnd ... plus duty and taxes (with a minimum -or- no brokerage). When all is said and done, I'm expecting about 100$cnd premium versus the Tempest.

The way I see it, they are both good value for your money...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks