What's new

Center channel hookup to STRDN860 (1 Viewer)

zomgkateh

Auditioning
Real Name
Kaitlin
So I recently delved into the world of building my own home theater system, used to have a sony HTIAB with proprietary ports so going in to best buy i bought all new stuff. Sony STRDN860 receiver, polk audio bookshelf speakers, and a pioneer subwoofer. While disassembling my old system, the center channel (which i thought I couldn't use because of proprietary stuff) looks to have a +/- connector on it like the rest of my new hookups (they're tabs on the speaker unlike the twists on the receiver). The center channel's model number is ss-ctb103, I'm wondering if I can still use it as a center channel or if some magical sony crap is gonna stop me from doing so. My entertainment center is kinda limited in space so i need a low-profile center channel which are apparently hard to find. Any help is appreciated.

Real Name
Thomas Roberts
Does the speaker have those plastic connector things? If so, you should be able to simply cut off the plastic piece, strip the wire a bit and use the bare wire in the speaker terminals on your new receiver.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
So I recently delved into the world of building my own home theater system, used to have a sony HTIAB with proprietary ports so going in to best buy i bought all new stuff. Sony STRDN860 receiver, polk audio bookshelf speakers, and a pioneer subwoofer. While disassembling my old system, the center channel (which i thought I couldn't use because of proprietary stuff) looks to have a +/- connector on it like the rest of my new hookups (they're tabs on the speaker unlike the twists on the receiver). The center channel's model number is ss-ctb103, I'm wondering if I can still use it as a center channel or if some magical sony crap is gonna stop me from doing so. My entertainment center is kinda limited in space so i need a low-profile center channel which are apparently hard to find. Any help is appreciated.

You should use speakers from the same manufacturer and same product line across your front three so that the sound is consistent across the front soundstage.

Just because the speaker has regular speaker wire clip-style terminals doesn't necessarily mean it is safe to use with your new gear. You want to verify the impedance of the old speaker first (measured in ohms). If it is any lower than 6 ohms don't use it. The impedance is often included on the back of the speaker, near the serial and model numbers. If there's nothing there, check the manual for the Sony system - the impedance for all the speakers should be at the back of the manual. If still no definitive answer, err on the side of caution and use the new stuff.

Even if the impedance is OK, I wouldn't mix and match the speakers that way. The center channel is arguably the most important of all the speakers, since it carries most of the dialog. You wouldn't want your weakest speaker here.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Does the speaker have those plastic connector things? If so, you should be able to simply cut off the plastic piece, strip the wire a bit and use the bare wire in the speaker terminals on your new receiver.

This is a really bad idea. The proprietary connectors are there for a reason - to prevent someone from connecting the speakers to incompatible gear. If the speakers are low impedance you risk serious and permanent damage to your receiver the minute you try and crank the volume up.

That's the sad part - the receiver would be toast, but your $10 cheapo speakers would be fine.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I think I would pass on it but it's up to you. The first issue that I have is the Sony center is a 3 ohm unit and most receivers like to have 6 ohm or greater speakers attached to them. The lower ohm rating means the speaker will pull more current and cause the amp to run warm. If the AVR has individual amps you could damage the center channel amp by prolonged use of this speaker.

The second issue that I have, much less important, is that the sony won't match the sound of the polk speakers that you have for you mains. You should be able to level match them with the auto setup but I'm worried it won't sound good. Of course this is personal preference as some people mix their front speakers but it's generally considered a poor practice.

If you want to try it out then you're certainly welcome to but considering these issues I think I would pass.

*I just looked closer at the specs of that speaker and it's a very small full range guy so I doubt it will even sound good.

zomgkateh

Auditioning
Real Name
Kaitlin
Thanks all for input so far.

I did hook it up (which it definitely sucks) just temporarily while I shop for a legit center channel, solely because I am very constricted in what I can buy space-wise not price-wise. My television as is has a low base and don't have the ability to wall mount it. I have two smaller cubbies in the entertainment center that measure just above 20" wide, one has the receiver in it and the other has my cable box/xbox 360 in it. I can scoot the xbox up to next to the television, but the cable box doesn't have anywhere else to go. So I'm looking for either some low-profile center channels (4" and under) or a center channel with a length under 20".

Was looking at the polk audio blackstone TL1 as a possible replacement, but would appreciate some more insight.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
If you want to do it right then you should look at getting the same speaker or the same series of speaker for your center. Going with the same brand will get you closer to a tonal match but it's no guarantee. What main speakers do you currently have? I know you said they are Polk but there are a lot of Polk models out there. I would try to get the matching center to that or you can get new speakers for the front three. If your limited on space have you considered a riser like this to get the TV up a bit? You could also do a shelf on top of the TV like this one for center speakers. I think either of these options would be better than trying to get a speaker that just fits the space.

zomgkateh

Auditioning
Real Name
Kaitlin
If you want to do it right then you should look at getting the same speaker or the same series of speaker for your center. Going with the same brand will get you closer to a tonal match but it's no guarantee. What main speakers do you currently have? I know you said they are Polk but there are a lot of Polk models out there. I would try to get the matching center to that or you can get new speakers for the front three. If your limited on space have you considered a riser like this to get the TV up a bit? You could also do a shelf on top of the TV like this one for center speakers. I think either of these options would be better than trying to get a speaker that just fits the space.

I have Polk t15 bookshelf speakers. The T30 center channel is too big for my space, but the blackstone TL1 fits. The space of my entertainment center doesn't allow me to put the TV on a riser (it's a space that fits a 48" TV and I have a 46"), and the shelf won't work 'cause there's cabinets above the TV space that would be blocked off by the center channel. I may be able to drill into this cubby above the TV to run wire through but even then it's still only a 16" opening.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
It sounds like you're in a tough spot with your setup. You can get the TL1 center and give it a shot. I mean it going to be better that the existing Sony unit that you have for several reasons. It's not going to match the T15's but it might be a closer match than another brand.

Have you thought of upgrading the front three together? Here are some examples of speaker sets that could work and are around the price of the Polk center you're looking at: Yamaha NS-AP1405 $50 &Yamaha NS-AP7800 $100. This would get you a matching front three and therefore a seamless soundstage.

Another option would be to get the TL1 and then replace the T15's with the matching TL1 sats down the road. That just depends on budget and what you want to do with your system. The problem with any of the smaller sat speakers is that you'll have to be sure to run your auto setup again so that you can get your crossover set correctly. Most of these smaller speakers will require a higher crossover point setting in your AVR than what you're currently running.

Just some things to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks