What's new

CD Burner (1 Viewer)

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the market for a new CD burner and I have been looking at LG Electronics GCE-8160B. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this drive. From what I have read it is a solid drive, but what concerns me is its realibility. LG was formerly known as Goldstar, and I have found their products to be inferrior. I was just wanting to make sure this is a quality drive, I dont know if LG has changed their quality or not.
On another note, can anyone recommend a good drive?
Thanks

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Go with Plextor, TDK VeloCD, or LiteOn. They all use the same basic drive mechanism but they support Burn-proof.

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Andy,
>>LG Electronics GCE-8160B. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this drive.
On another note, can anyone recommend a good drive?
I don't have any experience with the LG unit but I just got a LiteOn 24X burner and so far it has been great. I have used several HP burners in the past and they worked pretty good too. The LiteOn one was a great price at www.newegg.com and it included Nero software.
Good luck,
Glenn

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Also, don't forget that the software you use will make a big difference in its performance. I was using some cheap knock-off burning software and getting all kinds of coasters. I switched to Nero and haven't had one problem since.
I'm using an old 4/4/24 Mitsumi CDRW, by the way.
------------------
B00005LC4P.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305499128.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
0792846427.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305165912.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
B00003CXRM.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

My Top 10 Movies of 2000 of 2001
Fox: Please release P.C.U. on DVD!

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input. Ill look up a couple of models today and see which one is the best. I would really like to get a model that can overburn.
Thanks again!

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Andy,
About a month ago, I picked up the LG CD-RW CED8120B 12x10x32 burner. I haven't had any problems with it, but there were a couple of things I was a litte disappointed with.
For one thing, it doesn't have "burn-proof" so you may still make the occasional coaster.
Also, it seems that it can only burn at certain speeds (4x, 8x or 12x). I don't know if all high-speed burners are like this, but it's kind of annoying.
Lastly, it seems that I can only burn data cd's at 4x. This may or may not be a software issue (roxio ezcd 5 platinum), but this is also annoying.
After airing my gripes, however, I must say that this drive has been great, especially considering it only cost CDN$179.
I hope this is of some help to you, send me any questions...
~Kris M

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks