CD Burner

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andy_brehm, Oct 31, 2001.

1. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

I am in the market for a new CD burner and I have been looking at LG Electronics GCE-8160B. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this drive. From what I have read it is a solid drive, but what concerns me is its realibility. LG was formerly known as Goldstar, and I have found their products to be inferrior. I was just wanting to make sure this is a quality drive, I dont know if LG has changed their quality or not.
    On another note, can anyone recommend a good drive?
    Thanks

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Go with Plextor, TDK VeloCD, or LiteOn. They all use the same basic drive mechanism but they support Burn-proof.

3. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Andy,
    >>LG Electronics GCE-8160B. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this drive.
    On another note, can anyone recommend a good drive?
    I don't have any experience with the LG unit but I just got a LiteOn 24X burner and so far it has been great. I have used several HP burners in the past and they worked pretty good too. The LiteOn one was a great price at www.newegg.com and it included Nero software.
    Good luck,
    Glenn

4. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Also, don't forget that the software you use will make a big difference in its performance. I was using some cheap knock-off burning software and getting all kinds of coasters. I switched to Nero and haven't had one problem since.
    I'm using an old 4/4/24 Mitsumi CDRW, by the way.
    ------------------
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    My Top 10 Movies of 2000 of 2001
    Fox: Please release P.C.U. on DVD!

5. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input. Ill look up a couple of models today and see which one is the best. I would really like to get a model that can overburn.
    Thanks again!

6. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Andy,
    About a month ago, I picked up the LG CD-RW CED8120B 12x10x32 burner. I haven't had any problems with it, but there were a couple of things I was a litte disappointed with.
    For one thing, it doesn't have "burn-proof" so you may still make the occasional coaster.
    Also, it seems that it can only burn at certain speeds (4x, 8x or 12x). I don't know if all high-speed burners are like this, but it's kind of annoying.
    Lastly, it seems that I can only burn data cd's at 4x. This may or may not be a software issue (roxio ezcd 5 platinum), but this is also annoying.
    After airing my gripes, however, I must say that this drive has been great, especially considering it only cost CDN$179.
    I hope this is of some help to you, send me any questions...
    ~Kris M

7. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

A Plextor drive running Nero is the best combo.

8. Ryan Witt

Ryan Witt Agent

I just bought a Plextor 24x10x40 from www.iitem.com for $179 shipped. They were a little slow to get it to me , but it did come!