What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

CBS TV Releases for February 2017 (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We are still waiting for... the rest of Fantasy Island, None of those are going to get a complete series release from CBS either until all the seasons are released that's just the way CBS operates.

CBS will never release the Complete Fantasy Island. Sony probably wouldn't approve of CBS releasing one of their shows.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For example, are you talking about whether the region1 "complete series" of Dynasty will all be all remastered from the HD versions specifically?

Such as what was done for season 10 of the original Hawaii Five-O, where the original individual season 10 dvd set appears to have used an older non-HD master, while the "complete series" set version of season 10 is (alleged) to have been redone with a newer HD master.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For that matter, do you believe there was a season 10 of Dynasty back in 1989-1990, and a season 11 in 1990-1991? ;)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
There is no incentive for them to do that. They won't make much money in a complete series release because the price has to be low. That's why they do it after all the seasons have been released. To use leftover stock and since they have already made money on the releases as they came out per season. With disc sales in decline they would probably lose money on a complete series set.

If they don't do an "official" complete series set (whether shelf-friendly low budget or a more expensive version with special packaging), the other extreme "lazy assed" version is wrapping together all nine individual season sets of Dynasty with shrinkwrap and masking tape together.

These really extreme lazy-asssed versions were done for many CBS/Paramount shows such as the CSI franchise, Numb3rs, Medium, etc ...

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Previously before these shelf-friendly low-budget complete series were done, quite a few CBS/Paramount shows were done in this same extreme lazy-assed manner (ie. shrinkwrapped with masking tape all the prevously released season sets), such as:

- Ghost Whisperer
- Taxi
- Laverne & Shriley
- Matlock
- Sabrina The Teenage Witch
- etc ...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Anyways at this point in time, Dynasty isn't a huge priority for me. According to Randy if they don't ever release a Dynasty complete series in region1, I can live with that. (For that matter, I haven't even watched through all of my dvd sets of long running shows like the original Dallas, Law & Order franchise, CSI franchise, the original Hawaii Five-O, etc ... Still have a huge backlog).

Currently I can't even keep up with my tv viewing schedule. I end up watching through current episodes a week or two later after their first-run original broadcasts.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In terms of whether Dynasty actually made anything on dvd sales, I have no idea. (I don't have any insider information).

Currently, all the Dynasty seasons (except for season 1) are already bargain bin fodder whether on amazon or even some local discount stores. Nowadays I rarely ever see Dynasty at places like walmart, bestbuy, etc ...

Several years ago I picked up season 2 for less than $10 from a local dump bin. About a year ago, I picked up the vol 1 and vol 2 sets of season 5, for less than $5 a pop each from a local discount store. More recently I found season 2 in a dollar store. (ie. Another silly $1 impulse buy).

More generally, I don't know what CBS/Paramount does in regard to their shows which have been dump bin (or dollar store) fodder for a long time. Other older CBS/Paramount season sets which have been clogging up local dump bins and/or dollar stores over the past several years, is stuff like: the original Melrose Place, Friday the 13th, the original Beauty and the Beast, Tales From The Darkside, Charmed, The 4400, etc ... Out of this current bunch, only Melrose Place has not been re-released yet as an official shelf-friendly low-budget complete series set.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Ok I didn't realize that all the seasons have been released already the earlier posts seem to suggest that they haven't. Seems like I always see post for people asking for it but I stand corrected on that one. My only point from the beginning was they don't release complete series sets if all the seasons haven't been released individually. But since they have then yes I would agree that a complete series set is likely.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
But since they have then yes I would agree that a complete series set is likely.

I'm actually somewhat more pessimistic about a Dynasty complete series set being released in 2017.

Until I start seeing seasons 8 and 9 showing up in local dump bins (or dollar stores) in large quantities, I'm somewhat less kosher about the likelihood of seeing an official shelf-friendly low-budget complete series set in 2017. On the other hand, an extreme half-assed "complete series" set wrapped up together in masking tape and shrinkwrap could be more likely in 2017.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Anyways at this point in time, Dynasty isn't a huge priority for me. According to Randy if they don't ever release a Dynasty complete series in region1, I can live with that. (For that matter, I haven't even watched through all of my dvd sets of long running shows like the original Dallas, Law & Order franchise, CSI franchise, the original Hawaii Five-O, etc ... Still have a huge backlog).

Currently I can't even keep up with my tv viewing schedule. I end up watching through current episodes a week or two later after their first-run original broadcasts.

I have just as much a backlog-- among my unseen pile:
Mannix
Remington Steele
JAG
Hotel
Simon & Simon
MacGyver

et al.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Ok I didn't realize that all the seasons have been released already the earlier posts seem to suggest that they haven't. Seems like I always see post for people asking for it but I stand corrected on that one.

Finally. Clarity! :)

Unfortunately I had to ask questions like:

For that matter, do you believe there was a season 10 of Dynasty back in 1989-1990, and a season 11 in 1990-1991? ;)

in order to figure where your thinking is on this.

Easy mistake to make, if one isn't a big fan of the show. (Or if one doesn't remember much about the show).

Previously, I couldn't figure out why exactly you were parroting the same line over and over again, when all the seasons of Dynasty have already been released on dvd. :) (Initially I suspected you might not have been aware of the latter).

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
More generally, I don't know what CBS/Paramount does in regard to their shows which have been dump bin (or dollar store) fodder for a long time. Other older CBS/Paramount season sets which have been clogging up local dump bins and/or dollar stores over the past several years, is stuff like: the original Melrose Place, Friday the 13th, the original Beauty and the Beast, Tales From The Darkside, Charmed, The 4400, etc ... Out of this current bunch, only Melrose Place has not been re-released yet as an official shelf-friendly low-budget complete series set.

(Some more speculation).

One possible guess as to why Paramount/CBS has been releasing these low-budget shelf-friendly complete series sets (and some multiple seasons sets at walmart such as NCIS seasons 1-4, etc ....), I suspect is to keep their titles out of the dump bins for the next few years.

In a general sense, nobody wants their stuff as permanent fixtures in local dump bins. It greatly "devalues" the product.

Releasing these low-budget shelf-friendly complete series sets (or multiple seasons sets), gives CBS/Paramount an easy way to temporarily "reset" the price to something higher than the $10 or $5 (or less) dump bin prices.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Dynasty took about 9 or 10 years to get onto dvd; hard to say who stuck with it, and collected it in its entirety. I can tell you that the last three seasons were almost impossible to find in stores. I had to order all of them on amazon.

Since the series was stretched out over so many years, a complete series boxed set makes sense. (And of course, they never did put out the reunion movie, so I'm sure that'll be a reason to do a boxed set as well). And--if "Dynasty" gets rebooted on the CW, that's another reason to revisit the older material.

I'm pretty happy with some of their more recent boxed set packages--Laverne & Shirley, TNG blu-ray and so on. They look a lot better than older efforts. Hopefully DS9 will be a winner, too.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Dynasty took about 9 or 10 years to get onto dvd; hard to say who stuck with it, and collected it in its entirety. I can tell you that the last three seasons were almost impossible to find in stores. I had to order all of them on amazon.

Locally, I only ever saw the last few seasons of Dynasty at one of the bigger walmarts nearby. Not every local walmart stocked Dynasty. The local bestbuys, targets, etc ... didn't stock Dynasty at all.

Anyways after a week or two after their release dates, these Dynasty season sets largely disappeared from walmart.

I don't remember seeing Dynasty at all, at the local Costcos.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
To use leftover stock and since they have already made money on the releases as they came out per season. With disc sales in decline they would probably lose money on a complete series set.

In the case of shelf-friendly low-budget complete series sets (or multiple seasons sets such as NCIS seasons 1-4, Criminal Minds season 1-4, etc ... sets at walmart), are they really just taking the discs out of the old packaging and placing these same discs into the new shelf-friendly cases (whether by "hand" or using a machine)?

Or do the shelf-friendly low-budget complete series (or multiple seasons) sets consist of newly manufactured discs?

"Recycling" old leftover stock into a complete series set, would make more sense in the scenario of Paramount/CBS doing those really extreme lazy-assed "complete series" sets which consists of all the previous season sets bundled together with shrinkwrap and masking tape.

In the (hypothetical) scenario of CBS/Paramount taking the discs out of the old packaging and placing the same discs into the new shelf-friendly cases, the question is whether it is less/more expensive (ie. worker salaries) than just manufacturing new discs.

With old inventory, there is also the option of "writing off" old inventory on the final corporate taxes. The written off inventory either gets destroyed in a shredder, or it eventually ends up in a dollar store.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
In the case of shelf-friendly low-budget complete series sets (or multiple seasons sets such as NCIS seasons 1-4, Criminal Minds season 1-4, etc ... sets at walmart), are they really just taking the discs out of the old packaging and placing these same discs into the new shelf-friendly cases (whether by "hand" or using a machine)?

I'd say they're more likely putting the older discs into newer packages for these condensed lot releases; I have Perry Mason: The Complete Movie Collection, and the disc labeling is apparently the same as it was in the individual oversized boxes with 6 films apiece, and the "double features" with 2 apiece.
001.JPG

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In principle, they can just manufacture the same identical discs again with the same disc labeling.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
In principle, they can just manufacture the same identical discs again with the same disc labeling.

That'd probably be what they're doing-- making new copies of the older discs, and using those for the lot releases.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't have any easy way of figuring out whether these shelf-friendly low-budget complete series (or multiple seasons) sets are newly manufactured discs, other than maybe the IFPI numbers on the discs.

But unfortunately, Paramount has been using the same Thomson/Technicolor dvd/bluray manufacturing facilities for almost 15 years.

https://deadline.com/2009/10/forget...nt-thomson-renew-dvd-services-contract-17817/

The IFPI numbers won't tell you much, if they're all pointing back to the same Thomson/Technicolor manufacturing facilities.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I bought the original season 1 releases for Tales From The Darkside, Friday The 13th: The Series and Mission: Impossible before breaking down and buying the new complete series releases. I do know for a fact that Darkside and Friday the 13th reused the same disc labels, as the new sets feature some older lettering for the Paramount logo that was retired several years back.

I also have the complete series sets of The Untouchables, The Fugitive and Gomer Pyle USMC and the discs in these sets have the same generic labeling as the Perry Mason set pictured above. These DO appear to be new labels as they feature the newer lettering on the Paramount logo, but retain the copyright date from when the individual sets were originally released. Also, both The Untouchables and The Fugitive also retain the 'Vol. 1' and 'Vol 2' text on the labels which is rather redundant for a complete series release in my opinion.

On a side note, would anyone here know the possibility of CBS putting out complete series sets for The Streets of San Francisco and the original Hawaii Five-O in the near future? I've only bought one season from each of these shows and would rather get a complete series release than buying each season individually. I'd also love to get a new Combat! set, but that seems unlikely as CBS only seems to have the old syndication transfers of the series, and not the newer transfers Image made for their set a few years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks