What's new

CBS Series DVD's and possible Blu Revisits (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
It had been rerun on TV Land in its early years, along with Goodtime Girls and Foul Play.

~Ben
Didn’t know that! But it’s funny that no “gray area” DVD sets taped from TVLand have shown up !
Another fun throwback show from that era, The Tim Conway Show -the sitcom-CBS also I believe.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Which is a good thing because I do not like bootleg sets.

~Ben
Truthfully, me neither. But sometimes when you really want to see an old obscure show it’s the only way. It would be nice if the companies that owned these shows released them legitimately on MOD sets.
So, as much as I’d like to seee And The Chimp again there’s no way.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Truthfully, me neither. But sometimes when you really want to see an old obscure show it’s the only way. It would be nice if the companies that owned these shows released them legitimately on MOD sets.
So, as much as I’d like to seee And The Chimp again there’s no way.
Which depends on if they still have the original 35mm studio masters, as opposed to the 16mm or the 1" videotaped dubs used in syndication and cable reruns.

~Ben

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know why the ultra iconic I Love Lucy show hasn’t shown up as a complete Blu-ray set? Is it because the over priced first two season didn’t sell as expected?
I would think this show would be a no brainer for Paramount!
Maybe they're waiting for the 75th anniversary in 2026? Sometimes those anniversaries are a little off from the exact year so hopefully they'll do it next year.

cpalmer2k

Agent
Real Name
Chad
Maybe they're waiting for the 75th anniversary in 2026? Sometimes those anniversaries are a little off from the exact year so hopefully they'll do it next year.
This is pure speculation on my part, but could it possibly have something to do with music rights for the series? Amazon has had lots of episodes available in HD for several years now, but randomly skipped some of them for some reason. They've all shown up on Paramount+ recently, but it makes you wonder if maybe they didn't get music rights for HD formats as part of the original DVD licensing deal?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
This is pure speculation on my part, but could it possibly have something to do with music rights for the series? Amazon has had lots of episodes available in HD for several years now, but randomly skipped some of them for some reason. They've all shown up on Paramount+ recently, but it makes you wonder if maybe they didn't get music rights for HD formats as part of the original DVD licensing deal?
Possible, but Lucy and Desi Jr.s seem to amenable to every type of release going back to the old Columbia House VHS tapes. The’ve provided out takes, intro’s home movies, and commentaries. So , I wouldn’t think they were the problem. But who knows? I Love Lucy used to be one of CBS’s flagship shows along with The Honeymooner, Dick Van Dyke Show, Twilight Zone.and The Andy Griffith Show, and all of those are available on Blu-ray.

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I've never heard of needing separate rights between DVD and HD formats. My guess is that they want to do it right and the one thing that we haven't seen streaming are the "The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" episodes in HD. I'm guessing that because the show is so iconic that they are taking the time to restore everything to the original broadcast form.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
They also stopped filming Dallas in Dallas, the last couple of years. That really hurt the show too.

They practically (OT) never filmed Dynasty in Denver (the only time it was there was at the Carousel Ball of '83, IIRC).

Broomy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I’d really love a Blu-ray release of Family Ties. I’m kinda surprised they didn’t do it last year to tie in with the release of Still: A Michael J Fox Movie.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I’d really love a Blu-ray release of Family Ties. I’m kinda surprised they didn’t do it last year to tie in with the release of Still: A Michael J Fox Movie.
My guess is that they'd have to get the rights to some of the music heard within each episode, and it's another videotaped series, too, which makes it kinda hard to accurately do for Blu-Ray.

~Ben

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, Family Ties was shot on tape, so that makes it more difficult (expensive) to create an HD version for Blu

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks