What's new

CBS Series DVD's and possible Blu Revisits (1 Viewer)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm still divided on whether or not I want to pick up Dallas. The melodrama doesn't really thrill me, but I do like Larry Hagman and the Texas scenery.

The DVD set is nearly $200. If the blu-ray came out closer to $100 I might bite.
This is the one and only "soap" I can watch from start to finish - although the last two seasons are something of a struggle.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yeah, and the people they were replaced with weren't as interesting. Plus, after so many years, the series got a little out there - even for Dallas.

Especially J.R. being in that insane asylum in Arkansas (as I remember one thirteenth-season storyline).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
With the Magnum PI reboot being canceled yesterday, most likely a complete series dvd set will be released later this year.

Though I would be willing to wait awhile and see if ViacomCBS will release a complete series bluray set (whether wide general release or mod).

My reason for this, is that I'm guessing the cool Hawaii scenery would look a lot better in HD resolution (bluray), than dvd. This is partially based on the first three season blurays of the Hawaii Five-0 reboot, which I thought looked a lot better on bluray than the original CBS hd broadcasts a decade ago.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
With the Magnum PI reboot being canceled yesterday, most likely a complete series dvd set will be released later this year.

Though I would be willing to wait awhile and see if ViacomCBS will release a complete series bluray set (whether wide general release or mod).

My reason for this, is that I'm guessing the cool Hawaii scenery would look a lot better in HD resolution (bluray), than dvd. This is partially based on the first three season blurays of the Hawaii Five-0 reboot, which I thought looked a lot better on bluray than the original CBS hd broadcasts a decade ago.
Still holding out for the original Five-O on blu ray.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Yeah, and the people they were replaced with weren't as interesting. Plus, after so many years, the series got a little out there - even for Dallas.
They also stopped filming Dallas in Dallas, the last couple of years. That really hurt the show too.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I don't know if this show has been brought up already but I still can't understand how trackdown with Robert Culp hasn't been released (outside of a few episodes on a very bad quality DVD).

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I don't know if this show has been brought up already but I still can't understand how trackdown with Robert Culp hasn't been released (outside of a few episodes on a very bad quality DVD).
Somehow I have a hard time imagining Culp in a western. The snarky, irritable, tantrum-prone characters he normally plays seem incompatible with a laconic western gunslinger.

Last edited:

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Somehow I have a hard time imagining Culp in a western. The irritable, tantrum-prone characters he normally plays seem incompatible with a laconic western gunslinger.
I would have agreed before seeing it. Once I saw the show he was really good. More of a thinking man (imo) who does wear a gun but is very nonchalant about it. Often times hobie(robert culp) would outsmart his opposition, opposed to just killing them flat out like Steve McQueen. And I liked the fact the episodes were based off real Texas ranger cases and received full backing by them unlike other shows.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
True , it’s the one puzzling unreleased fifties Western. Since it’s a Four Star show, maybe Renown in the UK will release it.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I would have agreed before seeing it. Once I saw the show he was really good. More of a thinking man (imo) who does wear a gun but is very nonchalant about it. Often times hobie(robert culp) would outsmart his opposition, opposed to just killing them flat out like Steve McQueen. And I liked the fact the episodes were based off real Texas ranger cases and received full backing by them unlike other shows.
Yes, and it was very popular back during it’s run inspiring comic books , board games, a cap gun, trading cards , a Hartland figure etc. And Culp was very good in role of Hoby Gilman.
Since Culp became a very popular actor later on it’s surprising the show has never been on DVD.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Not all CBS , but here are some shows I’d love to see on Blu-ray:
I LOVE LUCY-why isn’t this on BD?? The over priced debacle is ancient history now!
The MUNSTERS- another mystery!
The FUGITIVE, with correct music.
CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU
HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL
GUNSMOKE -at least the first 5 seasons.
THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN
SEA HUNT
MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS

I’ll post more in the future.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
As to what Paramount Global (the new name of CBS and ViacomCBS since 2021) owns, I'd ask for:
Barefoot in the Park (1970)
Funny Face/The Sandy Duncan Show (1971-72)
Me and the Chimp (1972)
Love Story (series) (1973-74)
Paper Moon (series) (1974)
Kate McShane (1975)
Serpico (series) (1976-77)
Blansky's Beauties (1977)
Szysznyk (1977)
Mulligan's Stew (1977)
Who's Watching the Kids? (1978)
Makin' It (1979)
Brothers and Sisters (1979)
Out of the Blue (1979)
Struck by Lightning (1979)
The Associates (1979-80)
Goodtime Girls (1980)
Foul Play (series) (1981)
Making the Grade (1982)
Madame's Place (1982-83)
Star of the Family (1982)
The Renegades (1983)
Ryan's Four (1983)
Mr. Smith (1983)
Sanchez of Bel Air (1986)
Gung Ho (series) (1986-87)
Bronx Zoo (1987-88)
Duet (1987-89)/Open House (1989-90)
Day by Day (1988-89)

~Ben

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
As to what Paramount Global (the new name of CBS and ViacomCBS since 2021) owns, I'd ask for:
Barefoot in the Park (1970)
Funny Face/The Sandy Duncan Show (1971-72)
Me and the Chimp (1972)
Love Story (series) (1973-74)
Paper Moon (series) (1974)
Kate McShane (1975)
Serpico (series) (1976-77)
Blansky's Beauties (1977)
Szysznyk (1977)
Mulligan's Stew (1977)
Who's Watching the Kids? (1978)
Makin' It (1979)
Brothers and Sisters (1979)
Out of the Blue (1979)
Struck by Lightning (1979)
The Associates (1979-80)
Goodtime Girls (1980)
Star of the Family (1982)
The Renegades (1983)
Ryan's Four (1983)
Gung Ho (series) (1986-87)
Bronx Zoo (1987-88)
Duet (1987-89)/Open House (1989-90)
Day by Day (1988-89)

~Ben
Haven’t seen Me And The Chimp since it first aired. I enjoyed it back then and I’ll bet it’s still fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks