What's new

CBS/Paramount Complete Series Craze (2 Viewers)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
classicmovieguy said:
I'd love a 'Complete Series' set for "The Mary Tyler Moore Show".
Or Rhoda, Phyllis and Lou grant.

I'm watching season 1 of Rhoda right now. I don't think the full series is out on DVD.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
In other related news, taking a que from CBS, although I have many new threads I could post on here, I'm going to take the easy route and just repost my exisiting ones in one large COMPLETE post......so don't expect anything new from me in the future...LOL.

In all seriousness, very disappointed with them. They have so much left they could give us without retreading stuff.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I think these sets are a good way for them to clear inventory. Plus they work out cheaper than getting the individual sets - which they may decide to discontinue in the wake of these cheaper Complete boxes.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
classicmovieguy said:
I think these sets are a good way for them to clear inventory. Plus they work out cheaper than getting the individual sets - which they may decide to discontinue in the wake of these cheaper Complete boxes.
I guess the reasoning is, why get it piecemeal when you can have it all at once, and cheaper? That's just what I'm guessing.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I for one am counting myself lucky to have what I have. Whatever the state of TV shows on DVD is, clearly it's winding down. And when I look at what I have, virtually every one of my all-time favorite shows on DVD, I'm quite satisfied. I realize it's easy for me to say, since my favorite series aren't still out there languishing in the ether, but when I look at the vast amount of material CBS/P has released in the last two decades, and the overall quality of it, it's mind blowing, at least to me.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Carabimero said:
I for one am counting myself lucky to have what I have. Whatever the state of TV shows on DVD is, clearly it's winding down. And when I look at what I have, virtually every one of my all-time favorite shows on DVD, I'm quite satisfied. I realize it's easy for me to say, since my favorite series aren't still out there languishing in the ether, but when I look at the vast amount of material CBS/P has released in the last two decades, and the overall quality of it, it's mind blowing, at least to me.
Ditto Here. Next week marks the halfway point between Christmas and My Birthday, so I'll be doing some "Splurge Purchasing" on April 2, 14 and 23, with a "Mop Up" on May 1. If all goes as planned, I'll be purchasing my 850th TV Series, as well as passing both the 40,000 episode and 500th Documentary mark. :biggrin: In my house there is NO SUCH THING as "Nothing good on TV tonight" :laugh: I got tired of what the networks (Both OTA and Pay) were offering, so I MADE MY OWN NETWORK!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
classicmovieguy said:
I believe this is accurate and, along with many others, have posted similar thoughts. If some of the sets they have released so far have had alterations to them, no matter how minor, I would say that, yes, there is a chance or at least a hope of corrections being made to affected sets, but I think it's clear that nothing is being done outside of repackaging. I wish I were wrong as I would love for GOMER, MY THREE SONS and ODD COUPLE to be restored to their original form, but it appears to be asking too much at this point what with physical media on an apparent decline. I'm not happy about having compromised sets in my collection, but the properly restored and remastered ones far outweigh those and I choose to be grateful for that. As I've said before, I never ever thought I would have the Museum Of TV & Radio in my own home!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
What makes it hard for me to live with the alterations to Gomer Pyle, The Odd Couple and My Three Sons, for example, is the belief that they were not done for sound legal reasons, but from an overabundance of caution, that by and large they were unnecessary.

Success doesn't always mean an overhauled box set of a complete series, like The Fugitive. Success doesn't have to be disc-based. Success can mean a recognition that legally, some alterations didn't have to be made. That's a first step that can eventually lead to other steps. If not a disc replacement program, then perhaps restored episodes available for streaming.

Or maybe the success I seek is something I can't even imagine because the technology it requires is yet to be born. If that's true, then the passion I and others feel for restoration might be the only thing that can keep it alive until technology, and economic realities, can evolve.

If the people and passions in power today don't value preserving classic TV shows (as their creators intended for them to be seen and heard), there's always a chance that someone in power tomorrow will.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Exactly right. If CBS/Paramount had been more like Warner they would have taken time to study the matter and not been so stupid and a case of coming out with the edit the instant they hear so much as one line of a song being mumbled. Maybe they would have still released a set with some edits but to the idiotic degree we saw with these titles? I'm not buying that. I would have rather seen no DVD release at all of "Odd Couple" these last few years if it meant they were going to take the time to do it right and study the matter carefully but CBS/Paramount it's clear only had a "lets rush everything out" mentality with their only saving grace being that they would generally take the time to remaster the video elements whereas so many other studios just use old masters.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Jack P said:
The problem for me is too much great *comedy* was ruined by what was done on Odd Couple. "Strike Up The Band Or Else" loses its biggest punchline without "Cocktails For Two" because the look on Felix's face when Pernell Roberts starts singing that is just priceless. I refuse to watch the compromised episodes though I do manage to enjoy those episodes which were not tampered.

This is especially shameful because this is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series. I love Oscar's comedy square dance.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Bumping this up: do you think that I Love Lucy and the original 1968-80 Hawaii Five-O could get such releases in the future, being that the original full releases of those were criticized, IIRC, for not being very well packaged?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I picked up the latest MacGyver release, having never seen it when televised. I watched the first two episodes last night. I am happy with the pick up (e.g., show, price, packaging). No complaints here.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(On a semi-related tangent).

Wonder if Warner will go on a huge "complete series" (re)release craze too.

So far, the only Warner complete series sets re-released in shelf-friendly packaging which I'm aware of:

- The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

- Full House

- Friends

- Gilmore Girls

- The OC (?)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Wonderfrog68 said:
Any hope for the complete "Beverly hillbillies" , "Petticoat Junction" and Happy Days"?
Not until CBS releases the rest of the seasons individually, I'm afraid. The only 'Complete' packages we've seen so far are for shows that CBS has already released every season of in the past. We're not talking about Shout! Factory here, sadly.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
classicmovieguy said:
Not until CBS releases the rest of the seasons individually, I'm afraid. The only 'Complete' packages we've seen so far are for shows that CBS has already released every season of in the past. We're not talking about Shout! Factory here, sadly.
I wish CBS would quit piece-milling out The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction and put them out on DVD quicker or give it to Shout! Factory. I really wish someone else was doing Happy Days because CBS is going to chop it to pieces over music rights.

The one saving grace to Petticoat Junction is the episodes on ME-TV aren't edited to my knowledge, only time sped a bit. I don't know why CBS ever decided it was necessary to butcher up The Beverly Hillbillies as badly as what they did. I've been recording Petticoat Junction the last few weeks and I intend to put them on DVD just in case CBS decides to stall it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks