What's new

CBS/Paramount Complete Series Craze (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
classicmovieguy said:
Probably the outer box is a cardboard slipcase - with plastic boxes inside.

If I remember correctly, that's how all of CBS' condensed full-series releases are-- the main case is plastic, and it has a cardboard slipcase over it.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Hasslein said:
I'm hoping for Star Trek Voyager... MSRP per season still too high for a mediocre series.
To be fair, IMO, Voyager did have some pretty good shows, but by and large, I strongly agree that it was quite mediocre.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
2 more sets coming in June:

Laverne & Shirley

The Odd Couple (Hopefully this will contain all original music- wishful thinking but I am sure fans would pay a little extra to get original uncut episodes)

It looks like this complete series trend might continue throughout the year?!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have no hope at all for a fixed Odd Couple set, though goodness knows it deserves it just as much Fugitive did!

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Jack P said:
I have no hope at all for a fixed Odd Couple set, though goodness knows it deserves it just as much Fugitive did!

That is what I was thinking- if they can fix The Fugitive then why not The Odd Couple?! CBS DVD sucks, why the heck did Viacom not leave the home media releases with Paramount- they did a much better job releasing the classic series on DVD.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
So long as "Cocktails For Two" isn't restored to the "Strike Up The Band Or Else" episode, "Odd Couple" will always be a compromised series on DVD!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The Fugitive doesn't seem to have required much more than just excising the heebie jeebies about things like the Capitol cues.

The Odd Couple would require more than just soothing a few overeager law interns and would require real money to be invested in acquiring a wide variety of licenses, something they've always appeared loath at even attempting.

Even presumably easy things have been missed pretty routinely, like the free advertisements for seasons 1-3 of Green Acres on DVD from MGM in the form of a few seconds of the Green Acres theme in season 3 of Petticoat Junction.

I suspect they never even asked, although if this one is the fault of MGM and they did try but were refused or a lot of money would've had to exchange hands, I'll apologize in advance on the off chance someone involved ever reads this and it was MGM's fault instead.

But I bet they just didn't even try.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hasslein said:
I'm hoping for Star Trek Voyager... MSRP per season still too high for a mediocre series.
All of the Star Trek series are quite expensive. I'm hoping voyager and ds9 come to blu Ray. I love the tos series, but was never a huge tng fan.

I enjoy voyager and ds9 a lot more than tng. I'm currently watching voyager via Amazon prime.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
LeoA said:
The Odd Couple would require more than just soothing a few overeager law interns and would require real money to be invested in acquiring a wide variety of licenses, something they've always appeared loath at even attempting.

Except that with Odd Couple they got so paranoid they were even excising public domain songs!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(On a tangent).

It would be great if other movie studios take note of what Paramount has been doing, and also do similar (re)-releases of complete series sets of older shows.

For example, Fox doing (hypothetical) complete series sets of older shows like: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Pretender, Remington Steele, Land of the Giants, Lost In Space, Time Tunnel, The Addams Family, MASH, Mary Tyler Moore, the original Outer Limits, etc ...

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
LeoA said:
The Fugitive doesn't seem to have required much more than just excising the heebie jeebies about things like the Capitol cues.
If someone does an episode-by-episode analysis of the 2011 recalled set compared to the final Most Wanted Edition set, they will find far more "fixed" than a few Capitol cues. I'll leave it at that.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Except that I believe a good bit of that which didn't, went along for the ride anyways since the folks working on these couldn't differentiate with certainty just what library that every last thing came from.

And with stuff like incidental music playing in the background like say on a jukebox (I think that happens at least once), I doubt anything was paid in order for it to be restored. Again, it was a matter of CBS/Paramount after they joined together, of not being so paranoid and over cautious with things that weren't even a question before it.

At least that's the gist that I picked up back then as a casual observer of this topic here. I'll leave it to the passionate Fugitive fans to correct me if a substantial amount of licensed music indeed had to be secured in order to make this definitive release a reality.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The folks at CBS spent two years, hiring experts to insure every last bit of music, including source music, had been restored (to say nothing of restoring damaged film). It cost a small fortune, not to mention many thousands of man hours.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Osato said:
All of the Star Trek series are quite expensive.
You can always try "Yard Saleing". :biggrin: I got this set (and three other complete Star Trek Series) for a total of $100.00 at one such sale a few years ago! :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
When it comes to the Odd Couple, I'll take what I can get. Since this may be my favorite sitcom of all time and easily my favorite of the 70s, some missing music has not stopped me from enjoying it.

It is a shame that CBS is so paranoid about paying for music in many of its programs. Restoring the original music for the Odd Couple would make it so much better.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The problem for me is too much great *comedy* was ruined by what was done on Odd Couple. "Strike Up The Band Or Else" loses its biggest punchline without "Cocktails For Two" because the look on Felix's face when Pernell Roberts starts singing that is just priceless. I refuse to watch the compromised episodes though I do manage to enjoy those episodes which were not tampered.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, I can't watch "official" copies of THE ODD COUPLE or MY THREE SONS, and had no reservation about seeking complete series sets (and a couple of others like them) through other means. Resorting to truncated copies from TVLand is preferable any day to enduring the unnecessary atrocities CBS perpetrated upon MY THREE SONS.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
phenri said:
When it comes to the Odd Couple, I'll take what I can get. Since this may be my favorite sitcom of all time and easily my favorite of the 70s, some missing music has not stopped me from enjoying it.
I am also thinking that the missing music (and replacements thereof) would not be so bad if you had never seen the show before. Sure, that first release of The Fall Guy did have some musical replacements (and of course, they were unannounced on the box), but as I had never really seen the show before, I was able to enjoy it more than I would have if I had seen the show before and had heard the songs that were used.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks