What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Cataracts Anyone? (1 Viewer)

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I had my first surgery yesterday. All went well. I was warned that my eye would feel irritated and scratch and might water. All three happened and even my right nostril (right eye was done) was running. It was the most painful experience I’ve had without pain. The irritation was extremely irritating. Jeez. Tylenol helps.

Yesterday there was a white film over my vision and it’s still there today, but less so. I wonder how many days till I get my new vision?

I got the standard lenses, non-laser surgery. I also got a humdinger of a shiner.

I would contact your doctor and ask about the white film over your vision. I did not have this experience. Nor a black eye. I could see well immediately, but Dry Eye Syndrome was very painful. Everything was extremely bright and vivid. I had both eyes done at the same time.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I would contact your doctor and ask about the white film over your vision. I did not have this experience. Nor a black eye. I could see well immediately, but Dry Eye Syndrome was very painful. Everything was extremely bright and vivid. I had both eyes done at the same time.
The surgery was in the morning and I returned in the afternoon for a checkup. I related the white film and he said it was to be expected. How long did it take for you to have improved vision?

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
My improved vision was immediate. However, the dry eye syndrome cause great pain (like dirt in your eyes) for over a month. I had additional appointments, and a procedure was done on my tear ducts to get them working. It helped a lot. There was no actual pain from the surgery. Vivid color and extreme brightness seem to be permanent. I no longer have to wear distance glasses, but I do wear reading glasses.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My improved vision was immediate. However, the dry eye syndrome cause great pain (like dirt in your eyes) for over a month. I had additional appointments, and a procedure was done on my tear ducts to get them working. It helped a lot. There was no actual pain from the surgery. Vivid color and extreme brightness seem to be permanent. I no longer have to wear distance glasses, but I do wear reading glasses.
I got mono-vision lenses like you. My “dirt in the eyes” feeling is gone (knock-on-wood) but I have this white film over my vision, though it is decreasing. With the film, I don’t get that vivid color. I hope it comes soon.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
This isn't a good development. I hope your doc can fix you up quickly. When I sat up from the surgery table, my new vision was like "wow". It then got a little fuzzier for a day or two as some inflammation kicked in on the corneal cuts.

How many kinds of eyedrops are you using?

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This isn't a good development. I hope your doc can fix you up quickly. When I sat up from the surgery table, my new vision was like "wow". It then got a little fuzzier for a day or two as some inflammation kicked in on the corneal cuts.

How many kinds of eyedrops are you using?
The white film is gone now, but vision is still blurry. I’ve talked to a nurse twice now. The film is normal and it takes several days for the blurriness to go away. I’ve got a checkup scheduled a week from today.

I’m taking an antibiotic and a steroid drop.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The good news is the doc says what I’m experiencing is normal. The bad news is my vision has plateaued. No further improvement. I have an appointment with him this Friday. He will be grilled.

My neighbor got the mono vision lenses (different doctor) and it didn’t take him this long to get his permanent vision. Now the only glasses he uses are readers. He says all other vision is fine.

His doctor did not suggest the astigmatism lenses to him and he doesn’t know if he has one. My doctor did offer them, but not push them, as an option. I guess if my astigmatism is bad enough, this is what I’ll be stuck with. I did understand that I would need glasses for some correction but I thought my distance vision would be sharp.

I think this is a problem with most doctors. They don’t want to take the time to educate and counsel the patient. If I had understood this is the expected result I would have upgraded to the Toric lenses. I wonder what would happen if I upgrade to them for the second eye?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Saw my doctor today. He says I’m 70% healed and says I’m a slow healer. He added an ophthalmic ointment and had me continue the steroid drops for a longer period.

I asked if I had gotten the Toric lenses would I have seen better results quicker and that was a no. After the surgeries are done, as I expected, I will need glasses. I verified that the reason people get the Toric lenses is to avoid wearing glasses for distance. Since I would still need glasses for closeup and since I’m so accustomed to wearing glasses, I saw little advantage to the Toric lenses.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The theory here is to wait at least 6 months after the first eye is done to do the second, to make sure you don’t have complications.

This left me with a problem. The new lens in my left eye now gave me perfect vision for distance, but the right eye still needed glasses. Not having a monocle handy, and not knowing Mr. Peanut personally, I took the unneeded lens out of my glasses. Either no one noticed or was too polite to make a comment.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The theory here is to wait at least 6 months after the first eye is done to do the second, to make sure you don’t have complications.

This left me with a problem. The new lens in my left eye now gave me perfect vision for distance, but the right eye still needed glasses. Not having a monocle handy, and not knowing Mr. Peanut personally, I took the unneeded lens out of my glasses. Either no one noticed or was too polite to make a comment.
I had not heard of anyone waiting that long. I sure wish I was getting perfect vision for distance. How long did it take for you get get the perfect vision.

I think if I took a lens out of my glasses I’d have to rub that eye thru the lens hole just to freak people out. :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I had almost perfect distance vision right away, but I did have major “floaters” for about a year after, and still get them frequently.

My optometrist found it difficult to fit me with my bifocals with a very small prescription in the top and my reading prescription in the bottom. I had her change lenses 3X but still can’t wear them. The make me feel sick when I try them occasionally.

I don’t wear glasses for distance at all now, and have a pair of dollar store readers in every room in the house, car and suitcase.

Last edited:

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I also popped out one of the lenses from my glasses for the month or so between surgeries. I freaked people out by wiggling my finger through the empty lens frame at them. Or maybe it was the Mr. Peanut costume.

A couple of years later I had the optional follow-up procedure, a posterior capsulotomy. This opens a hole in the rear of the lens capsule, which may blur as undifferentiated muscle cells try to regrow there and cause mild puckering. And that was that. Shot my eye up with a laser. I could hear the explosions ticking in my skull. Then the doctor took a look and ended up taking some pot-shots like a gunfighter to clean up. Had a real snowglobe situation for weeks, but it worked.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My ophthalmologist was finally satisfied with my right eye and my left eye will be done tomorrow. He has called me a slow healer and decided that during my surgery, he will give my left eye a steroid shot to help it heal and keep the swelling down.

Checkin time is 7:30am. May not be on HTF for a couple of days after that, just see how it goes.

A week ago my current glass frames broke at the right hinge. Took it into my optometrists shop and they bent it back into shape. I said I was afraid to do that and he said he was too. While I was there I found these extremely light and rimless frames. They have been designed so any of the frames on display can take different shapes and sizes of lenses. I like big ones and I really want something light. I will probably go with these.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
While I was there I found these extremely light and rimless frames. They have been designed so any of the frames on display can take different shapes and sizes of lenses. I like big ones and I really want something light. I will probably go with these.

Are those Silhouettes, Johnny? That's what I use. LOVE them!

All the best with the next surgery.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Had my eye examination this week. No cataracts surgery yet, but it's something they're monitoring. My vision has remained the same for the last five years.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My ophthalmologist was finally satisfied with my right eye and my left eye will be done tomorrow. He has called me a slow healer and decided that during my surgery, he will give my left eye a steroid shot to help it heal and keep the swelling down.

Checkin time is 7:30am. May not be on HTF for a couple of days after that, just see how it goes.

A week ago my current glass frames broke at the right hinge. Took it into my optometrists shop and they bent it back into shape. I said I was afraid to do that and he said he was too. While I was there I found these extremely light and rimless frames. They have been designed so any of the frames on display can take different shapes and sizes of lenses. I like big ones and I really want something light. I will probably go with these.
Good luck Johnny!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Are those Silhouettes, Johnny? That's what I use. LOVE them!

All the best with the next surgery.
Yes, they are Silhouettes. I’m happy to read you like them. My final surgery has been done. I think the recuperation from this surgery will be easier. The surgeon gave me a steroid shot into my eyeball and I think that will help. I went back in for a checkup this afternoon and I’ve got that same white film over my vision which the doc says may be gone tomorrow. I think it took me several days the last time.

I am typing this with one eye, I hope my hands are in the correct home position. :P

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This won't be a surprise to some of the glasses-wearers here...but I am VERY particular about my eyeglasses (always have been). They need to fit right, be in proper adjustment, be clean ALL the time and I rally like them to be lightweight.

The Silhouettes allow all that.

I am not especially keen on posting pix of myself across the forum, but have, on occasion. here is one pic of me in my Silhouettes at a recent trip to see The Art of Racing in the Rain:

full

By being rimless, there is so little to them they are EXTREMELY light. yet I have never had a problem with durability or fragility. And there is a TON of different shapes and sizes. They can even do magnetic clip-on sunglasses (but I haven't tried them as I prefer to keep things simple.) Hope you like yours, Johnny!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks