What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Cataracts Anyone? (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Standard replacement intraocular lenses IOL (monofocal). Both eyes. Same time.

It's not actually anything like "Clockwork Orange" (See above photo).
Here one eye is done at a time. Of the first one goes well with no complications the second is done. This gives you vision in the opposite eye and continue to function.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I had mine done about 8 years ago. I went with multifocal lenses (ReSTOR in one eye, ReZoom in the other), and I do not need glasses. One of the IOL types is better at reading vs. distance, so my surgeon determined my dominant eye and went with the two types. Worked out great. Only issues are halos at night and some blurriness in low-light conditions, a quirk of the multi focal lens design.

My only sedation was a Valium drip. The worst part was the numbing eye drops, to be honest. They stung like crazy going in. I was fully awake for the procedure. I did squirm at times, mostly due to the super-bright microscope light. I went home and immediately got on the computer, no problemo.

I was shocked at how not-yellow things were the moment I looked at the wall in recovery. No complications except the for predicted need for a posterior capsulotomy, a YAG laser procedure that opens a hole in the back of the lens capsule, which can get blurry due to random cells healing and growing there and slightly puckering the gossamer tissue.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You are sedated during the procedure. I previously had to wear glasses for reading, for computer, and for distance, and was about to buy prescription graduated/blended glasses. Now, following my double cataract procedure, I can see distance perfectly, computer perfectly, and only need glasses for reading. During the procedure i was aware of lights, but that is all. i felt nothing.
How about driving. Can you see the instrument panel clearly without glasses?

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I had cataract surgery about 10 or 15 years ago for both eyes (about a month between eyes). I opted for the more expensive radial lenses. The cost was about 1500 per eye after insurance. I haven't worn glasses since then and can see like I could when I was young except for one thing -- My vision is hampered in low light so, for example, if we're at a concert I cannot read the program easily. I'm in my mid 70s and my last eye exam showed no problems and 20/20 and 20/30 in my two eyes.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
It's important to get as much information as you can in advance of your surgery, from as many sources as you can, but every experience will be difference, and one should bear that in mind. Your doctor's opinion should be paramount. I have a sense that my peripheral vision is not as "wide" as it was before the surgery. Just an impression. I'm not sure.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I got that last year. It’s called a Posterior Vitreous Detachment (PVD). It’s terribly alarming, annoying, and also quite common. You see floaters of various types (dots, dark strings, cobwebs, clear worms, etc.) and then a super-disturbing Weiss Ring forms in the center of your vision, around your macula, as the vitreous finally pulls away from the retina. It looks like a shower curtain in the shape of a circle or a U.

Mine took several months to detach, during which I saw flashes from time to time and an awful lot of debris. Retinal detachment is a risk early in in this tugging process.

I had a real snow globe situation going in one eye until it absorbed. I was pretty well blinded, just nothing but foggy garbage in my vision. A year later I still have some stupid, annoying tendrils flitting about. There is a vitrectomy procedure they can do to suck out and replace the vitreous if it’s super bad, but apart from that there is no treatment.

This happens because the jelly-like vitreous filling your eye liquifies with age. It’s held to the retina with a filigree of fibrils that pull or tear away with sudden motions. A strike to the head can kick it off. In my case, I’m a type 1 diabetic. My vitreous began detaching one day when I had a really low blood sugar event, which seemed to jackhammer it loose.

I read a post somewhere where an eye surgeon responded to his patient’s PVD with, “Congratulations, you made it!” As in, you got old, you’re alive and well, and the PVD is your badge of station.

Last edited:

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Hell yes, I have a huge collection of 3-D movies that I watch regularly. No problems there. In fact, better because I ditched having to wear eyeglasses. So freeing to be able to throw on 3-D glasses, or pick my face up in a rainstorm, or go swimming, and not worry about my glasses being a hindrance.

If you get the ReSTOR/ReZoom type IOLs, you will need several months for your brain to adjust. It’s a new way of seeing. The halos may annoy at first, but your brain will adapt. You just get used to it.

The other interesting thing is you get with multifocal lenses is “deep focus,” like Citizen Kane. You won’t be able to focus your eyes anymore, as those muscles won’t be attached to your eye’s lens. But you won’t have to. You just look at stuff and it’s all in focus at once... near, mid, far. Deep focus.

There is another type of IOL that does attach to your eye’s focusing muscles, and literally flexes and focuses like a natural lens. However, as one ages, these muscles grow weaker, and so that type of IOL would not maintain its ability to focus, whereas the other types do.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have been approved for cataract surgery. Before the exam that did it, I was talking to the tech that was doing the pre-appt stuff. She said that when she worked at the McFarland Clinic (a big name in cataract surgery) she did post-op followup and a lot of patients complained of having trouble adapting to the multi-focal lenses. My optometrist was not enthused about the multi-focal lenses.

My next-door neighbor had the procedure and went with mono-focal and is happy. He uses readers for closeup.

I wonder if there’s a site that honestly discusses the pros and cons?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
If you get the ReSTOR/ReZoom type IOLs, you will need several months for your brain to adjust. It’s a new way of seeing. The halos may annoy at first, but your brain will adapt. You just get used to it.

The other interesting thing is you get with multifocal lenses is “deep focus,” like Citizen Kane. You won’t be able to focus your eyes anymore, as those muscles won’t be attached to your eye’s lens. But you won’t have to. You just look at stuff and it’s all in focus at once... near, mid, far. Deep focus.
About 20% of the brain is taken up in visual processing. That's a lot. The visual receptors in the eye, rods and cones, really are discrete sensors just like a video camera. Your vision is really the result of "software" in the brain as it processes the huge amount of sensor data.

My eye doctor told me that the multi-focal IOL actually projects simultaneously different focus images onto your retina. The brain then separates out and processes the appropriate image components for you. Your brain really takes time to re-write its software to deal with this situation.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I had a scheduled date of 8/1 for an evaluation with the surgeon. I didn’t want to wait that long and asked my GP to recommend some surgeons. I got an evaluation last Friday from her recommended surgeon. Yup, I’ve got cataracts that are ready for the surgery. I was put through several tests none of which were the “is 1 better or 2” test.

I asked the surgeon about multi-focal lenses and he’s put them in in the past but had too much dissatisfaction from his patients. He does not recommend them. My optometrist who first determined I was ready, was also of the same opinion. So then I had to consider Toric lenses to correct my astigmatisms in both eyes. They would be $875 for each eye and there was no guarantee I wouldn’t need glasses. So I’m going standard with distance vision for both eyes. I will get glasses to make whatever corrections I need after the surgery.

My right eye will be done first on 7/31. I wish it could be tomorrow.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I had a scheduled date of 8/1 for an evaluation with the surgeon. I didn’t want to wait that long and asked my GP to recommend some surgeons. I got an evaluation last Friday from her recommended surgeon. Yup, I’ve got cataracts that are ready for the surgery. I was put through several tests none of which were the “is 1 better or 2” test.

I asked the surgeon about multi-focal lenses and he’s put them in in the past but had too much dissatisfaction from his patients. He does not recommend them. My optometrist who first determined I was ready, was also of the same opinion. So then I had to consider Toric lenses to correct my astigmatisms in both eyes. They would be $875 for each eye and there was no guarantee I wouldn’t need glasses. So I’m going standard with distance vision for both eyes. I will get glasses to make whatever corrections I need after the surgery.

My right eye will be done first on 7/31. I wish it could be tomorrow.

I think your doctors and you are doing the right thing. If you have Dry Eye Syndrome, mention it to your doctor NOW, and begin, at the very least, to use lubricant eye drops. A prescription may be in order. And post here afterwards. I care.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think your doctors and you are doing the right thing. If you have Dry Eye Syndrome, mention it to your doctor NOW, and begin, at the very least, to use lubricant eye drops. A prescription may be in order. And post here afterwards. I care.
Thank you for the advice and concern. I don’t have dry eye, but on occasion I use Allaway drops for allergy irritation and they know that.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I had my first surgery yesterday. All went well. I was warned that my eye would feel irritated and scratch and might water. All three happened and even my right nostril (right eye was done) was running. It was the most painful experience I’ve had without pain. The irritation was extremely irritating. Jeez. Tylenol helps.

Yesterday there was a white film over my vision and it’s still there today, but less so. I wonder how many days till I get my new vision?

I got the standard lenses, non-laser surgery. I also got a humdinger of a shiner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks