Casablanca Standard Edition Coming Sept. 15

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Heinz W, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

www.blu-ray.com/news/

About time. Hopefully Warners will do the right thing and release similar editions of Oz and GWTW day and date with the fancy boxes. Not happy that they're losing some of the extras, completists will STILL have to buy the expensive set if they want it all.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Finally! I do not mind losing some of the extras, as long as I can purchase the film in HD.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    They surely must have realized the demand for the film in a more commercially manageable package. Thank you, Warners, for being reasonable about this at long last. It's a must buy for me.

4. Martin Teller

Martin Teller Cinematographer

It sounds like the only thing that will be lost is the Jack Warner doc, and I never was interested in that anyway.

Hopefully this bodes well for Oz.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I guess the question now is: will Warner go day-and-date with these...or continue this model of debuting the standard editions months later?

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It's the latter unless actual sales data changes a certain Warner executive's mind.

Crawdaddy

7. BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman Supporting Actor

In the case of Casablanca, it's hardly "months" later. They'll get as many sales out of Oz and Wind as they can, especially at holiday time. No one will be seeing this kind of cheaper release on Oz or Wind for at least six months to a year, if Casablanca is anything to go by.

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I can always rent the Warner doc, so it seems like I'll be getting this release this year, and then The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind in Fall 2010.

Better late than never.

Edited by Brandon Conway - 7/10/2009 at 06:22 pm GMT

9. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    This is more like it. But really, why can't they do this fully correct by offering a version with all disc-based extras but none of the other physical trinkets. Why eliminate the second disc? In this case that documentary is not important to me, but there may be extras on the WOO or GWTW extra discs that I'll want.

10. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

I seem to remember someone here saying that Warner Bros. literally had copies of this edition lying around since the format war. For whatever reason, this title was withheld at that time and HD DVD effectively received an exclusive. That more than anything angered me about their decision to go Ultimate Edition only when it came time for a Blu-ray Disc release, and I guess that is why, while I'm thankful a standard edition is coming out, I'm not going to break my arm patting them on the back for it. It would also explain why all the disc-based extras aren't being included.

In the meantime, as long as their is a standard edition available for import as there appears there will be for both Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz, I'll send my money overseas and not have to wait an additional year for 'sane' release.

11. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Great news. I was about to break down and buy the Collector's Set but now I'll wait for the more affordable option.

12. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Screenwriter

Doug Wallen
    Glad this is coming out at an affordable price. I don't need the "papers" or whatever was in the big box and I am not really interested in the life of Jack Warner.

Doug

13. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I was waiting for Amazon to put the boxset out in their Deal of the Day so I could get Casablanca at a reasonable price, but I think I'll grab this version instead. I wouldn't mind checking out the Jack Warner doc but for the price difference I it doesn't seem reasonable.

14. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    double post

15. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    There's actually a good Warner Bros. documentary on the new and improved "This is the Army" disc. It details the bros. work in the period leading up to and through WWII.

16. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Aye. Good to see this standalone edition finally coming out. Hopefully, we won't have to wait this long (and w/out any advanced word) for such future releases.

_Man_

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think everyone with an interest in owning Casablanca needs to purchase it the week it comes out in order to show Warners that there's a big demand for the non-box set version of their classics.