What's new

Casablanca Standard Edition Coming Sept. 15 (1 Viewer)

Heinz W

Second Unit
www.blu-ray.com/news/

About time. Hopefully Warners will do the right thing and release similar editions of Oz and GWTW day and date with the fancy boxes. Not happy that they're losing some of the extras, completists will STILL have to buy the expensive set if they want it all.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
They surely must have realized the demand for the film in a more commercially manageable package. Thank you, Warners, for being reasonable about this at long last. It's a must buy for me.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
It sounds like the only thing that will be lost is the Jack Warner doc, and I never was interested in that anyway.

Hopefully this bodes well for Oz.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess the question now is: will Warner go day-and-date with these...or continue this model of debuting the standard editions months later?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I guess the question now is: will Warner go day-and-date with these...or continue this model of debuting the standard editions months later?
It's the latter unless actual sales data changes a certain Warner executive's mind.

Crawdaddy

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
In the case of Casablanca, it's hardly "months" later. They'll get as many sales out of Oz and Wind as they can, especially at holiday time. No one will be seeing this kind of cheaper release on Oz or Wind for at least six months to a year, if Casablanca is anything to go by.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I can always rent the Warner doc, so it seems like I'll be getting this release this year, and then The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind in Fall 2010.

Better late than never.

Edited by Brandon Conway - 7/10/2009 at 06:22 pm GMT

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
This is more like it. But really, why can't they do this fully correct by offering a version with all disc-based extras but none of the other physical trinkets. Why eliminate the second disc? In this case that documentary is not important to me, but there may be extras on the WOO or GWTW extra discs that I'll want.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by GlennH

This is more like it. But really, why can't they do this fully correct by offering a version with all disc-based extras but none of the other physical trinkets. Why eliminate the second disc? In this case that documentary is not important to me, but there may be extras on the WOO or GWTW extra discs that I'll want.
I seem to remember someone here saying that Warner Bros. literally had copies of this edition lying around since the format war. For whatever reason, this title was withheld at that time and HD DVD effectively received an exclusive. That more than anything angered me about their decision to go Ultimate Edition only when it came time for a Blu-ray Disc release, and I guess that is why, while I'm thankful a standard edition is coming out, I'm not going to break my arm patting them on the back for it. It would also explain why all the disc-based extras aren't being included.

In the meantime, as long as their is a standard edition available for import as there appears there will be for both Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz, I'll send my money overseas and not have to wait an additional year for 'sane' release.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Great news. I was about to break down and buy the Collector's Set but now I'll wait for the more affordable option.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Glad this is coming out at an affordable price. I don't need the "papers" or whatever was in the big box and I am not really interested in the life of Jack Warner.

Doug

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I was waiting for Amazon to put the boxset out in their Deal of the Day so I could get Casablanca at a reasonable price, but I think I'll grab this version instead. I wouldn't mind checking out the Jack Warner doc but for the price difference I it doesn't seem reasonable.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
There's actually a good Warner Bros. documentary on the new and improved "This is the Army" disc. It details the bros. work in the period leading up to and through WWII.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Aye. Good to see this standalone edition finally coming out. Hopefully, we won't have to wait this long (and w/out any advanced word) for such future releases.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks