What's new

Can the Pioneer 1014 be Beat for <$500 (1 Viewer)

Colin+M

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for a relatively inexpensive receiver for music and movies. I have JBLs all around. E80's in the front, EC35 center, and S38II's for the rear channels.

My question is, what will push them and make them sing?
Of course in a reasonable price range($400).
I was looking at the Sony 1000ES,2000ES; HK 335, etc.
I am running a Yamaha HTR-5660 right now, it puts out 85 watts a channel(20-20k). Would it even be worth upgrading? Will those 25 extra wpc's be worth the change?i currently have a 6.1 setup and don't plan on buying another rear soon.

Thanks guys,
Colin

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
The 25 wpc is not a noticeable increase in volume level--only about 1db. Remember, doubling output power increases level by 3db.

If you compare the weight of the Pioneer versus others in this price range, however, you'll notice it is heavier. The extra weight is mostly in the power supply--larger capacitors to stiffen its output capability. This matters mostly with lower efficiency speakers, but contributes to improved overall performance. While the increased output power won't sound significantly louder, home theater normally has more dynamic range than music, and the stiffer power supply will reproduce them more realistically.

Only you can decide if the extra features of the Pioneer are worth the cost of replacing your Yamaha. I really like the MACC. The component video switching makes your system simpler to operate--no more changing inputs on the monitor between DVD, satellite TV, etc.

Colin+M

Stunt Coordinator
Are the Sony ES receivers even worth considering? I know they have a decent price tag, is that about it? I also know they have a digital drive amp, i know this should be lighter and run cooler(??) but does it sound as good as the ol' boys such as the pioneer etc.?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
25wpc can be a significant increase going from one manufacturer to another. It really depends on how much real current the amp section can deliver. My old Sony was rated at 100wpc, but when I moved to a Marantz with 105wpc, the difference was huge because the Sony didn't put out an honest 100w. So you can't compare by rated power, you'd actually have to go and listen to them with similar speakers to see if they are going to give you a noticable upgrade.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Colin, along with what John said you also have to look at the THD level of the power output. Shoot for under .1% thd. Also make sure the power is rated at 8ohms not 6.

Power can make a difference depending on the receiver. I had a sony str-de595 rated at 1000hz at .7% thd. I noticed that during a scene that was loud in front the sound that would come out of the rears was fuzzy and muffled sounding. Now I have the pioneer 1014 and it can truly deliver at least 100 wpc. Now the sound from the same scenes sounds perfectly clear out of the rears.

Shiu

Second Unit
The 1000ES is analog. It weighs almost 32 lbs, not much lighter than the Pioneer 1014TX. There are some good reviews on the ES receivers by some U.K magazines. If the price is right, it is worth considering.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Have the 1014 and JBEl 80 mains, EC35, etc and would never look back at this price point.
MCACC is worth it alone.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
The biggest difference is in what the Reciever is designed to input. Some need lower voltage input and that is why they appear to make more power. You will not notice much or any difference with an extra 25 wpc. Second everybody trys to rate as high as they can under the regulations. What would be the point of not advertising your actual output. No point at all.

I know a lot of people do not believe this but hey who am I to dispell their opinions. After all that is what a fprum is about....opinions.

I would look for a DVD player that has a variable out if you are looking for more sound pressure in your room. Try a Yamaha DVD player if you aren't using one now. It should match your recievers input levels.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well that changes things for sure.

I While I would definetly rate the 1014 as the best for HT, because of it's features. For main goal music, I would consider a different product most likely.

Ilove Denon's music performance, almost above all others myself.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Marantz, H/K, NAD, and a bit higher up Rotel, Arcam, and B&K, to name a few will give great musical ability.

I'm a Marantz guy myself.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I have to agree for music in particular, Marantz is pretty darn steller. What models would you suggest in his price range John Garcia?

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I'm a huge Marantz fan myself. I have an older separates setup, AV9000 paired with the MM9000. I use Paradigm Monitors for speakers.

That being said, I'm not as big a fan of some Marantz products. My friend picked up an SR-4300 (I think, it was 4xxx and a while ago - maybe 4200) and we hooked it up to my system purely as a preamp. At the time I was using a SR-19 A/V receiver as my preamp and there was a very noticeable difference / downgrade from the SR-19 reference A/V Receiver. Thats when I decided to pick up the AV9000 without all the bells and whistles of newer preamps.

The reason I am bringing this up is around the same time I tested a Pioneer Elite thx select receiver. I tried it as a preamp and powering the speakers itself. I was very impressed. It was not as good preamped as the SR-19 but it was very close. I also was shocked at the built in power.

Now this was approximately 3 years ago but if the guts of the lower end Marantz's are simular to what they were and the Pioneer 1014 is truly like their Elite products, I'd go for the Pioneer. Especially if 75% or more of your usage will be for movies.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The SR-19 would weigh in at least around $1500+ so it's not really a fair comparison to a $400 receiver. I would not expect entry level gear to sound as good as the upper level of their line and almost 4x the cost. For the price, the Marantz gear will more than hold it's own compared to similar competition.

The funny thing is, one of the best sounding inexpensive receivers I've owned was a Marantz SR-4000 that I picked up used for $150 for stereo music & movies in the bedroom. It had a surprising amount of power and great sound. It sounded better in stereo than the 6200 I had at the time, which is why I ended up upgrading to my current 8300 in the main HT.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
True. But I will say $1500 is like saying the 1014 costs $650. I didn't pay anything close to $1500. I think I got it for around $800 - $1000. I can't remember yesterday :)

I just want to point out that the Pioneer gear really surprised me for it's price point.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't pay MSRP for my 8300 or PM7000 either, but when comparing the items in this manner, you have to consider their real price bracket (though cost doesn't define quality).

With the 1015 coming out shortly, I'd be looking for a closeout 1014 right now, because there should be some very good pricing on them.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
No kidding. Onecall has them for $350 plus $35 shipping. I'm tempted to get one for a second system. I just can't justify it though :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks