What's new

Can region-free DVD player use to play PAL tape through VCR? (1 Viewer)

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
I got a couple of PAL VHS from the UK that I'm dying to watch but don't want to buy a VCR that supports it (cost like $500) or a converter or pay $30 to convert the PAL tape to NTSC.

Can I import the signal from the US vrc to a DVD player that can play PAL DVDs and somehow be able to watch it?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Good question Dustin. I’ve never considered this, but sadly, I don’t think so.

For this to work, you need for the VCR to not care if the format is PAL or NTSC (I’m not sure if they care or not), a DVD player that has a video input (mine does not, although DVD recorders would have to) and will convert (not all region-free players will convert) the passed PAL format to NTSC in some sort of pass-through fashion. Or, if such a DVD player exists, you might be able to record the VCR onto a DVD and then play the DVD.

This is a lot of ‘ifs’. But I suppose that it is barely possible.

Good luck. I’d really be interested in the results if anyone is in a position to experiment.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
a DVD player that has a video input (mine does not
Oh yeah. I forgot about this part.

However, I do have a dvd recorder so I'll try your idea of importing the movie. I don't think it'll work though because even if the fed-in signal is unmodified, the encoding on the DVDR must do something to it. It's worth a try though. Thanks.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I tried this once with a PAL tape from someone at work (She's german). She just had the tape converted to NTSC so that her daughter could watch it (Was a kids movie) I borrowed it to try and see if I could do somethng with it.

My Video Capture card in my computer can be configured to accept a PAL signal. But the problem seems to be that while the video on the tape is PAL, the VCR still thinks it's NTSC so it wouldn't just pass a PAL signal for a PAL-Compatible Display Device to see. It would pass a totally screwed up signal to the TV (Or in my case, capture card) that is unrecognizable no matter what mode you use. Not to mention that the Auto-Tracking indicator was constantly on!

Not only that, but the tape was playing at a slower speed since for some reason, it thought it was recorded in EP when it was in fact recorded in SP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks