What's new

Can I use a Dayton HPSA-1000 subwoofer amp with my SpeakerCraft BassX-2 in-ceiling subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

WaltJohnson

Auditioning
Real Name
walter Johnson
Hello All,

Can I use a Dayton HPSA-1000 subwoofer amp with my SpeakerCraft BassX-2 in-ceiling subwoofer? Here’s my situation. I was able to purchase a brand new SpeakerCraft BassX-2 in-ceiling subwoofer (without the BB2502 amp) CHEAP ($99.). So I needed a subwoofer amp to push it. I just purchased the Dayton HPSA 1000-R subwoofer amplifier online and it arrived today (also pretty cheap - $275.). I made a mistake and didn’t realize the Dayton was a mono amp. The SpeakerCraft BassX-2 is a dual driver (opposed in the enclosure) that is spec’ed for the SpeakerCraft BB2502 amplifier (also a 1000 watt sub amp, but I cannot find any other specs for that amp or subwoofer and my requests to SpeakerCraft via email have fallen on deaf ears).
The Dayton HPSA 1000-R pushes 512 watts into 8 ohms and 1000 watts into 4 ohms. The SpeakerCraft BassX-2 subwoofer (in the box, unconnected) is reading 2.7 ohms at the terminal for each of the drivers. When I connect the drivers together to one speaker cable, they still read 2.7 ohms. Can I connect the leads from the two SpeakerCraft subwoofer drivers together and run them to the single mono output on the Dayton amp or will they detonate/damage each other? Please help! This was the last piece to the home theater and I am ready to install. Thanks, ------Walt

WaltJohnson

Auditioning
Real Name
walter Johnson
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: I have been advised that the SpeakerCraft BB2502 amplifier for the BassX-2 subwoofer has 4 outputs (two positive and two negative). The outputs are in parallel. The amplifier is rated at 300 watts/channel at 8 ohms and 500 watts/channel at 4 ohms.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wire your two drivers in series and connect them to the amp. The 2.7 ohm DC reading will be a 4 ohm nominal load. Wiring them in series will give you an 8 ohm load. That means your amp will push about 500w. Probably more than your drivers can take but you should be fine. That amp has a good SSF set at 18hz.

-Robert

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And you can use that amp when you want to upgrade to an infinite baffle sub (a real in-ceiling sub).

chuckg

Supporting Actor
By "series" Robert means:

hook the negative / black / - / minus wire from one coil to the negative / whatever terminal of the amp.
hook the positive / red / + / plus wire from that same coil to the negative / whatever of the second coil
hook the positive / red / + / plus wire from that second coil to the positive / whatever of the amp.

think of the coils as "chained" together. This adds the impedances, and should give a read of about 5.4, which will be 8 ohms nominal.

parallel would be where reds of both coils are hooked to red on the amp, and blacks similarly hooked together. This will give half the impedance (resistance) of a single coil alone, and probably be a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks