What's new

Can I get rid of the hiss through my PC speakers? (1 Viewer)

Jonny K

Second Unit
When I crank the volume up LOUD (pretty much to the top), the speakers hiss pretty loud. I do this because I have a few songs that are quiet, so to get the same volume I need to crank it up. Now I'm pretty sure there isn't really anything I can do about this...but I want to be certain. I'm using a pair of Altec Lansing ATP3's.

Thanks.

TosH

Agent
Nothing you can do on the hardware side short of upgrading your equipment. However, you can Replaygain your music files so they play at the same level as your other songs. Google it for details.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
This might not work the same for you but I had alot of hiss when turned up until I got a new Creative Audigy soundcard. Even at the maximum volume theres no hiss.

Jonny K

Second Unit
I am using an Audigy. Not a high end one, just the basic "Audigy 1". I find the sound card is outputting some degree of noise, and the speakers are also doing some of it. Or maybe it's just the speakers, not sure.

An interesting thing is, when I run Linux (I normally use Windows), I can get much greater volume that is much cleaner than I get in Windows. Go figure.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
On a side note, the Audigy cards, and it seems that it's irrespective of the drivers (maybe Linux is different?!), that if the main volume of the card is either maxed out or nearly so, the IMD is over 10% and that's definitely audible. Signficantly better performance from the card is obtained by adjusting the main volume down to around 3/4 or so.

Jonny K

Second Unit
I do keep the volume a little lower in Windows (which definatly reduces hiss and clears up the sound), but my speakers don't turn up enough to get the volume I want. To get it loud, I must still turn up the volume in-computer and on the speakers.

I suppose the answer is simply new speakers, huh? I've been wanting a set of those Klipsch's...

Ryan T

Second Unit
I just got my set of Logitechs Z-5300 yesterday. They are pretty decent. Not as clear as the klipsch but the overall sound of teh satilites seems more balanced and a little less harsh than the klipsch. my only complaint is the logitech sub has the mother of all bass boosts at around 50 HZ (seems about 10 DBs hot at 50 or so Hz) but once its EQed down a bit it sound pretty nice. Its only $150 so its quite a bit cheaper than the klipsch. Of course there is the klipsch GMX that is cheaper than the real klipsch promedias but the GMX speakers kinda suck in compairison. Also the logitechs are THX certified (not like it matters whole lot) and they are rated for 280 Watts RMS/560 peak and i can definatly say they play VERY LOUD. If your going to get some new speakers give the Z-5300s a try. I dont think the klipsch speakers sound much better to warrent spending the extra cash unless you get the promedia ultras but they are $400.

On a side note im getting my audigy 2 ZS gamer edition today woo! I can hear my computer introducing a crumby hiss at louder volumes. I plugged the Logitechs into my PCDP and there was no hiss so it has to be the computer. Im just using the onboard sound and those have a nasty history of hissing from the HDD. hopefully my audigy will get rid of the hiss and maybe make my computer sound better.

Ryan

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Audigy LS and Klipsch GMX 2.1 speakers (which I liked better than the Promedias) with matching floor stands. My windows volume is one notch above half and I get no hiss with the speaker volume at maximum. I still have my old Altec Lansing ATP3's somewhere I could test to see if they produce any hiss. If that helps any.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Computer speakers are fairly limited, even at the higher end of things. Why not invest in a nice set of bookshelves and an inexpensive AVR, and pass the audio digitally from your soundcard?

Jonny K

Second Unit
Well because I haven't got much room here at the computer desk. Adding a receiver and bookshelves would be overkill. Also, I'm saving my pennies for a Paradigm setup downstairs, so the computer isn't exactly my sound priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks