What's new

Can I connect a Blu-Ray player to my DVD home theater system? (1 Viewer)

follicle

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
A while back, I purchased a very decent Philips DVD Home Theater system. I'm not looking for anything too upscale, just something to give some nice sound while watching movies. I've really enjoyed it so far and I'm surprised at how much it has enhanced our movie viewing experience. However, after viewing a few Blu-Ray movies at a buddy's house, I'm now in the market for a Blu-Ray player.

There's only one issue: The speakers included with my DVD home theater system have connections specific to the included DVD receiver. I was wondering if I would be able to somehow connect the speakers to the Blu-Ray player once I got it. I am assuming that to do this, I would have to connect the Blu-Ray player to the DVD reciever.

The DVD receiver has two red and white audio inputs (Aux 1 and Aux 2). I know that the Blu-Ray player needs to be connected to the television using an HDMI cable, but can I connect red and white audio cables from the Blu-Ray player's audio outs to one of the DVD player's audio inputs to pipe the sound through my surround sound system? Or will I face some issues?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
You didn't give a model number - but I looked up a "Philips DVD Home Theater system" and found this one:

http://www.usa.philips.com/c/home-theater-systems/hts3372d_f7/prd/;jsessionid=C49F2301EC7D8D185035FB8992C425C2.app101-drp1?t=specifications

It shows the following input connections:

Rear Connections: = AUX in, Digital coaxial in, Digital optical in

-- If this is indeed the system (Shot in the dark) - you would use either of the Digital inputs (coaxial or optical) from the blue ray player - and place the player in a "legacy" mode. You wont be hearing the loose-less audio, but at least you will be able to get Dolby Digital and DTS. If you use the "two red and white audio inputs (Aux 1 and Aux 2)" - you will only be able to get a 2 channel stereo signal.

follicle

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Thanks a lot for your reply. I did forget to give a model number. Amazingly, the system you found is actually the system I own.

Can you elaborate on placing the Blu-Ray player in a "legacy" mode? I took a look at the receiver and I can select "Coaxial" or "Optical" as a source for the sound. Is that all I would have to do or is there another step?

Again, thanks for the help.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Can you elaborate on placing the Blu-Ray player in a "legacy" mode?

I am in a similar situation - as my receiver does not have HDMI inputs.

I finally got an Blu-ray player (Toshiba BDX2500 ) - and when I hooked it up with an optical cable - my receiver showed up as being in PCM Stereo mode....After looking at the manual, there was an audio setting on the player I needed to change.

After reading the manual - it said if you want a converted (legacy) Dolby or DTS signal to be output by the player over optical (my setup) - you need to place the audio option into "legacy mode"..This will give you the same quality as a DVD, but not then new, loose-less audio available on blu-ray. I have the player hooked directly into the TV with an HDMI cable for the video, and am using an optical cable to hook up the player to the receiver. After changing the audio mode, my receiver now switches to Dolby Digital or DTS mode...works good, but am missing out on the new audio formats. I'm not sure if the "legacy mode" is common to all blu-ray players, or is just used with the Toshiba model I have - there should be something similar on your player, but maybe under a different name.

I took a look at the receiver and I can select "Coaxial" or "Optical" as a source for the sound. Is that all I would have to do or is there another step?

You just have to get the correct cable and run it from your player to the receiver, and set your player up to output over the new cable. Since your receiver has both options available - it is your choice on which one to run. It probably depends on what is available from your player.

Then, when you want to watch a blu-ray - switch the TV to the correct input for the video, and the receiver to the input you are using, and you will be good to go...I already had an optical cable available - but if you need one...

Digital Coaxial Audio RCA Cable -12 ft - $4.50

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=189-250

OR 3 ft - $3.00

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=189-185

Optical Cables...12 ft - $5.90

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=180-944

3 ft - $5.00
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=249-215

Good luck...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've never heard of "legacy mode" either. Most players I'm familiar with either have "Bitstream" or "LPCM/PCM" as the options. Jon would want "Bitstream" which allows the receiver to do the decoding. LPCM or PCM would send a stereo signal through the digital output or a decoded 5.1/7.1 signal through the multi-channel analog outputs for those players with that connection.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
You have coax and optical inputs so choose whatever the BD player has and use that ... then run the video to your display and you'll be good to go. As noted above - select bitstream in your BD player's audio options/setup menu. You won't get the "HD" audio formats as your model does not support decoding of same - just DD and DPL II - but you will get Dolby Digital surround and the better BD PQ that you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks