What's new

Cambridge Soundworks or Wharfedale? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Freddie Ross
Hi, this is my first post here and I'm not exactly sure where this should go.

I'm looking to completely replace my current speakers. My current set are all very mismatched, with Teac center/rears, JBL N24II fronts, a Cambridge Soundworks MC50 surround back, and a KLH sub. The first thing I wanted to replace were the surrounds because they're being clearance at Cambridge Soundworks' site for really good prices. However after reading some reviews of the Wharfedale Diamond 9s and WH2 surrounds, I'd really like to know more about them and how they'd work for me.

My first problem with the Wharfedales is that I can't find them anywhere. I realize this is a UK-based brand, however I do remember them from a few years ago (I used to be pretty into speakers and such, then lost interest for a while and regained interest about a month ago) which leads me to believe they were available over here. Their site's dealer locater doesn't work for me, so does anyone know if these are available through any dealers around Boston (or any online places, the only one I found (Wild West Electronics) was quite outdated so I'm not sure about them)?

...On to the Cambridge Soundworks surrounds. I'm currently stuck between the S100 and S200s, as the S300s I originally wanted are sold out. Both look pretty nice, and I know Cambridge generally puts out quality stuff. The price difference is $40. From what I understand, the S100s are basically 2 MC50s wired so they can do the multipole thing (my MC50 sounds ok, so I think these would be decent surrounds). The S200s seem like they have better drivers, however rated freq response and sensitivity is worse on paper (S100s are rated from 100-16khz and 89db in bipole, S2s 100-10khz 87db). The S200s include stuff that you'd expect from the price difference, like binding posts and better looks. They do have a 45 day money back thing, however since they're on clearance, if I return them that's pretty much it.

I'm kind of new to the multipolar thing; will these sound ok in a 12x18 basement bedroom/TV room? About 75% of what I do is TV with ProLogic IIx movie, 10% movies (and 15% music in stereo so that doesn't matter). I'm running off of an Onkyo TX-SR502 which is about 35 watts RMS from what I've read.

I'm aware that getting one or the other pretty much commits me to one brand in the long run. I'm just not sure which would be better value and sound in my room. My long term plan if I go Cambridge (more likely) is M50 Bookshelfs for fronts, an MC305 for center, and an HSU STF-2 sub. I'd have to research a bit more on what I'd get if I did Wharfedale.

Any other suggestions on other brands? Right now I have about $200 to spend on surrounds, so Paradigm and B&W are out of the question lol....

Thanks for the help.....

-Freddie

Real Name
Freddie Ross
Sorry for the bump/double post, however I'm now looking into Best Buy's Kilpsch Synergy 3s. The high sensitivity has my attention.... Does anyone have these and have an opinion on them? Are horns an acquired taste (I have never had these, just domes and paper tweeters)? I'm sorry if I sound rude but I'm kind of in a race against the clock with the Cambridge clearance so any quick info on these would be great. I'm going to try to listen to them tonight or tomorrow at Best Buy.... Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks