What's new

Calibrating New 6.1 setup? (1 Viewer)

Steve Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Young
In the past I have used VE to calibrate my old Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 setup. I used my RS SPL meter and calibrated the 5 main speakers to 75dB and the sub to something like 80dB. Now I have a new AVR(Marantz SR-7500) and a 6.1 speaker setup. Obviously my old VE disc isn't going to work with this setup, so I just used the internal test tones of the AVR. Is this ok, or should I get a new copy of DVE to do my calibrating?
I was playing a music DVD (Godsmack - Changes) and when I switch between the DD and DTS tracks, the DTS is alot lower output. On my old Yamaha I had a separate setting for DTS LFE output, which I always left on +10dB after reading about how DTS LFE tracks were 10dB lower than DD. But I have read recently that newer DVDs won't have this problem?
My new AVR doesn't have any separate settings for DD and DTS.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Steve

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I belive the +10 DTS issue related to early DTS music discs. I have not been a big time DTS user, so I could be mistaken about that, but I have read that in the past.

As for overall channel balance, I have read posts from some industry pros (John Kotches of WSR magazine, and Roger Dressler of Dolby labs) that advocate using the internal test tones.

While DVE does have 6 channel tones, it has some other flaws that prevent me from recommending it (search DVE and LFE for some additional reading on the subject).

Lastly, your initial observation of a difference between a DD and DTS track may simply be that they are encoded at different levels. I have noted some level differences between the two tracks on occasion.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks