What's new

Cable Box to HD Receiver to HDTV...no sound (1 Viewer)

Zagoren

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael C.
Hey guys..

I am new to the home theatre world. I just purchased a Sony AV receiver. Seems pretty straightforward. I took my HDMI out of my HD Cable box to one of my receivers inputs (DVD)...

Here is the rear panel of the receiver:

http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/So..._rearpanel.jpg

I then have the HDMI output from the receiver going to the TV. Problem is, while i have picture and sound on the TV, I get nothing out of the speakers when I set the receiver to DVD. Im sure there's some switch I am not hitting. The speakers work fine as i have tested with other sources.

Any advice would be appreciated.

MC

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Sony STR-DG520 is one of those lame "HDMI pass-through" receivers that only do HDMI video switching and won't process audio from the HDMI. You have to connect the optical or coax RCA SPDIF for the audio.

I'd recommend returning the receiver and getting the 720 or 820 instead, or an Onkyo 576/606.

Zagoren

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael C.
Thanks Stephen. Yes...i think i will be ok because I rarely listen to things that are mixed HD. So any difference in those 2 types of cables that you mentioned?

And do you know where on the back panel of the receiver do I plug in those cables?

thanks again

hockeymask

Auditioning
Real Name
David Rojas
I've had this problem before also. I decided to get a Denon 1909 receiver so I could get all the possible digital sounds that a BD player and movie can give you. Anyway, if your looking at the back of your receiver you'll see two optical connections in the upper left hand. One's for the satillite box, I think it's the bottom one, and the other is for your DVD player, the top one. Of course you will have to use the optical connection from your CB. You can get optical cables pretty cheap online.

Hope this helps, dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks