What's new

Surround Sound Problems w/ Cable Box (1 Viewer)

clefler13

Auditioning
Real Name
CT
HTF.
I'm new here and any help would be great. I have my cable box, PS3 and TV hooked into my receiver via HDMI cable (specs below.) Whenever I run my receiver on the HD-DCS setting (the optimal setting based on the source,) the receiver shows an output of 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound depending on the game/Blu Ray. When the TV is running, my receiver shows a 2.1 output. The odd thing is when I switch off the TV, but leave the system running, the receiver displays a 5.1 output (and it sounds great.) Am I missing something in the way I hook up my components that results in this phenomenon?
Thanks for the help!
CT
TV: 40″ 1080P 120HZ LED HDTV LD-4065
Receiver: Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver (Black)
Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT870 7.1 Speaker Set
Cable Box: Standard Time Warner Cable Box
PS3: 80GB Original Model (PS398004)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Also, make sure that in the cable box settings, the audio output is set to "Dolby Digital".
Most tv shows are broadcast in stereo. I'd set the receiver to Dolby Pro Logic II, while in tv mode. Any programs broadcast in 5.1 will play in 5.1 surround, and all the stereo channels will play in 5.1 simulated surround (better than stereo). If you set it to Dolby Pro Logic IIx, it will play everything in simulated 7.1 surround. This is how I listen to tv. Good luck.

clefler13

Auditioning
Real Name
CT
I can not change my TV's audio output to off, but I will try changing the cable box's audio out to surround. I watch in Dolby Pro Logic now, but when the signal comes through in it's native Dolby Digital 5.1, it sounds so much better.
Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks