What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release BVHE Press Release: The Abyss, True Lies, Aliens, Titanic, Avatar and Avatar: The Way of the Water (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well - after all the threads about the death of physical media, Disney no longer releasing old movies, Bill Hunt's interview with Jon Landau (confirming the release of these titles last March) being rubbished - everyone can now spend the next few weeks worrying themselves sick about teal, DNR, framing, sound re-mixes, new CGI effects etc etc ;)

I am not promoting doom for Disney and physical media but take note these are all James Cameron titles and the only reason Disney is most likely putting them out is under contractual pressure from the Director.

When Disney starts releasing Fox catalog titles from other directors I think we will be in a better position to say Disney is doing a good thing with physical media

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Titanic is Paramount, why is Disney releasing something another studio owns?
Disney owns part of Titanic via Fox. I wish they had full home video and streaming rights though, so Titanic would be in Movies Anywhere.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Disney owns part of Titanic via Fox. I wish they had full home video and streaming rights though, so Titanic would be in Movies Anywhere.

To answer these questions to the best of my ability...

This is a cross-promotion announcement for all the James Cameron films being introduced (or recently introduced) to 4k. This includes TITANIC from Paramount and the already-released AVATAR films.

Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't know if anyone noticed the verbiage, but this new 4k release of AVATAR includes all three versions of the film, one of which is the Special Collector's Cut with the extra 8 minutes of introduction to Jake Sully.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Available in 4K Ultra HD, some for the first time ever, on Dec. 12, 2023, at digital retailers including Prime Video, Apple TV and Fandango/Vudu:
  • Avatar: The Way of Water Collector’s Edition

Available Dec. 19, 2023, are special edition Blu-ray discs of:
  • Avatar: The Way of Water 4K Collector’s Edition
Ok, that is confusing as hell, the way it's worded.

Rather annoying that the Avatars are being re-released with new bonus features, including the extended versions of A1, so soon after a lot of us just purchased them :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:.
For real. Kinda a big slap in the face for early adopters. I would have held off had I known this was coming.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
For real. Kinda a big slap in the face for early adopters. I would have held off had I known this was coming.
This has been happening for decades. First the bare-bones release, then the big fancy deluxe edition a few months later.

We've been complaining about double-dipping on this forum for years.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m a little confused from the press releases on whether or not the 3D disc version of the first Avatar will include 3D versions of the two extended cite of that film - if it turns out to, I’d gladly double dip on that.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ok, that is confusing as hell, the way it's worded.

Guess I should be glad I don't love either nearly enough to have already bought them (at the prices they've been commanding)... :P

But yeah, that's a definite bummer for those who loved them quite that much...

I’m a little confused from the press releases on whether or not the 3D disc version of the first Avatar will include 3D versions of the two extended cite of that film - if it turns out to, I’d gladly double dip on that.

The PR posts are so big I didn't even paid enough attention to notice the inclusion of a 3D release... but too bad there doesn't seem to be a complete combo pack w/ both 4K and 3D BD though...

_Man_

Reactions: PMF

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Audio specs seem to indicate 3D is theatrical only:

1700072481491.png

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Well - after all the threads about the death of physical media, Disney no longer releasing old movies, Bill Hunt's interview with Jon Landau (confirming the release of these titles last March) being rubbished - everyone can now spend the next few weeks worrying themselves sick about teal, DNR, framing, sound re-mixes, new CGI effects etc etc ;)
Never underestimate Bob Iger's commitment to physical media.

Also, I'm in for The Abyss and True Lies.
Lets Go Reaction GIF by Bounce

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
BTW the Bits says it looks like only Avatar will have a steelbook release (from Best Buy). (I asked in the comments of the FB item.) So the artwork is what it is.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
This has been happening for decades. First the bare-bones release, then the big fancy deluxe edition a few months later.

We've been complaining about double-dipping on this forum for years.
True, but it's appreciated when the studio or filmmakers at least make it known at the time of the initial release that a more elaborate version is planned. Before the first Avatar came out on Blu-Ray, in a bare bones edition back in 2010, Jon Landau stated that a more elaborate version would surface by the end of the year...and it did!

Both Avatar and Avatar: The Way of Water were released earlier this year with the words "Ultimate Collector's Edition" printed on the cover, and now a few short months later, we're getting the "Even More Ultimate Collector's Editions?" Not too cool, guys. Not too cool.

They keep using the word "Ultimate," but I don't think it means what they think it means.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks