What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: The Abyss, True Lies, Aliens, Titanic, Avatar and Avatar: The Way of the Water (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I can't believe it, never thought I'd see the day. And the Special edition of The Abyss? Wow! I can't wait!

Reactions: PMF

Sidney Prescott

Auditioning
Real Name
Gabriel
Very nice! Already have the standard 4K of Titanic pre-ordered, and I'll be getting The Abyss, Aliens, and True Lies as soon as they're available. I'm actually hopeful we'll also be getting The Terminator (and a new transfer of T2) by the end of quarter four 2024, but that remains to be seen, of course. Fun (but expensive!) time to be a collector, the recent events with Best Buy notwithstanding.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Vince Mcmahon Wwe GIF

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I hope this is the version of The Abyss everyone's been asking for in this forum for the last 20 years--!

It's certainly(?) not the version I've "asked" for, heh... but of course, that version (w/ much better, far less hokey ending) doesn't exist at all, so... :P;)

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wonder: Are there going to be Blu-ray only editions of True Lies and The Abyss or do you have to get the 4K copy in order to obtain the included Blu-ray? It doesn't seem like the press release is clear in this regard.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
True, but it's appreciated when the studio or filmmakers at least make it known at the time of the initial release that a more elaborate version is planned. Before the first Avatar came out on Blu-Ray, in a bare bones edition back in 2010, Jon Landau stated that a more elaborate version would surface by the end of the year...and it did!

Both Avatar and Avatar: The Way of Water were released earlier this year with the words "Ultimate Collector's Edition" printed on the cover, and now a few short months later, we're getting the "Even More Ultimate Collector's Editions?" Not too cool, guys. Not too cool.

They keep using the word "Ultimate," but I don't think it means what they think it means.
"Ultimate" doesn't always go well in sci-fi ;)"
Drunk Star Trek GIF

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Amazing news. The Abyss & True Lies have been on the wish-lists of fans for many years. Both got sub-par DVD releases in the 200X's. Though those were OK for the era in which they were released, they are both severely lacking when viewed on HD sets (below average PQ; non-Anamorphic prints; etc.). So, it's fantastic to finally be getting HD versions of both. Obviously, this is long overdue.

I wonder: Are there going to be Blu-ray only editions of True Lies and The Abyss or do you have to get the 4K copy in order to obtain the included Blu-ray? It doesn't seem like the press release is clear in this regard.

Good question - I'd like an answer to this as well.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That in all the "product SKUs" sections of the press releases they only mention a physical 4K/Blu combo pack would seem to me like there will be no separate blu-ray option.

1700150408360.png

WillG

Senior HTF Member
One thing I notice about The Abyss is that it doesn’t mention the Van Ling text commentary being included. Would be a bummer if that was dropped as it had some great detail.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
One thing I notice about The Abyss is that it doesn’t mention the Van Ling text commentary being included. Would be a bummer if that was dropped as it had some great detail.
I guess don't get rid of your DVDs just yet!

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Quite a decent selection on 4k disc now with great transfers.

First Blood, 2001, Blade Runner, Aliens, predator and True Romance just to name a few.

Glad I made the leap a couple of years ago.
I’m not against doing it, but then I need a 4K QD OLED set (That’s the kind I want), a region-free 4K player, and for once in my life, I’d like to have a surround sound system. That’s a lot pieces and money. Plus I’m into retro gaming, so I’d probably need some sort of RCA-HDMI adaptor :p.

Reactions: PMF

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I’m not against doing it, but then I need a 4K QD OLED set (That’s the kind I want), a region-free 4K player, and for once in my life, I’d like to have a surround sound system. That’s a lot pieces and money. Plus I’m into retro gaming, so I’d probably need some sort of RCA-HDMI adaptor :p.

You don't need a "region-free 4K player". All UHDs are region free.

Unless you mean that you want your player to be region free for playing BDs (or DVDs) from any region. But for that, I play RA BDs and R1 DVDs on my 4K player, and have a separate region free BD player that's permanently set for Region B for RB Blu-rays (it plays all DVDs without needing to set the region).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
All you "need" to play a 4K disc from anywhere in the world is a 4K player. It can be connected and will play to any non-4K display (it just won't be displayed 4K, but you get all the other improvements in restoration and remastering). I play my 4K discs through my 1080p projector and my HDTV. Works fine.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I have a lot of DVDs and Blu-rays from a variety of regions. I need a player that can play them all. There are 4K players which have been modded to play all regions, I’ve seen them on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnthinkableSol
Recent bookmarks