What's new

buying new irons (1 Viewer)

James Slade

Second Unit
I am about a 16 handicap

Trying to decide between Taylor Made 360 or Wilson Deep Red irons.

Your thoughts?

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I haven't hit either of those clubs, but six years ago I was attempting to decide between two different sets myself. It was between Taylor Made Oversize and Titeleist DCI. I spent several evenings at the shop, hitting into a net and out on the range. I liked both equally well.
One day at work I was talking with a buddy of mine (now deceased.) This guy was a true "scratch" golfer. He had played for over 40 years and a round in the 80's was rare for him. I asked for his opinion and his response was "Why would you care?" When I told him I was struggling with the choice and simply wanted his opinion he said "But I'm not going to be playing with them." After debating the merits of an outsiders opinion on my decision and answering a few questions of his, he offered this bit of advice. When looking at clubs, he rated the following in order of importance:
Feel - do you like how the club feels in your hand, how it feels at address, how it feels when you swing?
Performance - Is one more forgiving than another? Are you better able to control or shape your shots with one? Also, some people hit certain clubs better than others, sounds strange, but I've seen it myself.
Looks - if the above are equal, chose the one you like the looks of.
I know this isn't a selection of either the Taylors or the Wilsons, but after all, you are the one who is going to be playing with them!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
James ; I haven't checked out the prices on either, but I'd say the Tayler made are played by more pros while the deep reds are more of "the rage" right now.
I was getting my new driver regripped, it had a generic grip, and tried a the new deep red(I think that's what it's called) by Wilson. I'll say I wasn't all that impressed.
That's me though.
Keep your eyes out for the deals!! I bought an Integra 4 320cc driver with UST pro65 for $180 taxes inc ... great club great deal.
If I may, see if you can find an new set of Tommy Armour Evo31s ... they were clearing them out a few months ago for under $400 .... great clubs....
I would have bought a set, but I only picked up the 845 Silver Scots last year on a clearout.
Look at the 845 Stripe too.
Brent L
I'd take the Taylor Made irons:)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I agree with Dennis -- golf clubs are a very personal selection. I made the mistake several years ago of buying a set of Tommy Armour 855's because I got a good deal -- I did not compare them against any other clubs. After three years of struggling with the irons, I decided to make a change. It took me several trips to the golf store, comparing different brands, before I made a choice. Interestingly, I chose a brand that I had not even considered before I starting shopping. I ended up with a set of Top Flite Tour irons. They felt better than anything else I tried.

My advice would be to take your time, make several trips to the golf store, and try no more than 4-5 brands in any one trip. You will find the right clubs eventually.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Im a 12 handicap. My recommendation would be to invest the money you were going to spend on clubs in lessons. That will lower your score much quicker than new hardware.

But you didnt ask that question so....take a 7 iron of each with you on a round (not to the range), play with them, and buy the set that feels better to you.

Good luck

Mike (playing with 10 year old irons and 20 year old woods) Knapp

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Twenty year old woods, Mike?! Wow, I think this is one instance where new clubs could really help. Technology in woods has come a long way in 20 years. Titanium and steel are superior to the old perssimmon clubs.

I'm a 13 handicap, but a short hitter (220-230 yard drives). If I couldn't play a fairway wood well, my handicap would increase by several strokes. The longest iron I now carry is a 5 iron. I've replaced my longer irons with fairway woods -- I carry a 3, 5, 7 and 9 wood.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
"Woods" being a generic term! :) I do have metals. Taylor Made Tour Burner. 20 years old. Im good for about 240 with the driver.
Mike

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I got a Sunbeam iron a few months ago. It turns off after 5 minutes and has two steam settings. The only problem is that the adjustment wheel is right under the handle, which means I'm always turning the thing from "Cotton" to "Wool" or "Polyester" whenever I pick it up. Who comes up with the ergonomics of these things???

Ooops......

I am a dreadful golfer. I've taken lessons last year so I know theoretically what I should be doing, but execution is a major problem. I suck ass. My hand-me-down clubs are a mismash of different brands with all different shaft sizes. I couldn't hit a fairway wood if my life depended on it, though curiously I carry a 5 wood in my bag. I've become quite an expert at hitting out of the woods because unless I'm on the next fairway over, I'm in the woods almost every time off the tee. Last year I got my first par ever (on second thought maybe my second) on a 9 hole 3 par course and it was a huge thrill. (My tee shot was absolutely perfect, straight, and landed right on the green about 20 feet in front of the hole - I had a legit chance at a birdie but missed it. I was not upset.) I've pretty much decided that I'll never have the time or interest to invest in golf so I'll never be good. I may as well enjoy being bad! I don't get frustrated when I go out and shoot incredibly horrible scores with my friends, I just enjoy the day. And usually I can get at least one really good shot off per round.

I can putt fairly decently and I can read greens well thanks to years of computer golf.

I agree with Mike Knapp lessons are the best thing you can do. Personally I'm not going to replace my miserable piece of crap clubs until I take more lessons and get better or my fiance buys me some for my birthday which is almost inevitable.

So my recommendation is not based on experience, rather on advice from my teacher. See if you can find a local shop that can custom make irons for your height and swing. They're not really more expensive than "name brand" irons, but they'll make more of a positive difference in your game than ill-sized ones.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Most name brand clubs also now have fitting systems to customize your new irons to your particular size and stance. I agree with Philip that it is important to get measured for proper shaft flex, lie angle, etc.
Philip, how far can you hit the ball with that Sunbeam iron? :laugh:

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
James - Mike Knapp made an excellent point regarding lessons. (You didn't provide your handicap so don't take the comment as an insult!) Speaking once again from experience, I invested in lessons prior to dumping major dollars into equipment. Made all the difference in the world.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I wouldn't purchase a ste of clubs unless I can have them custom fitted to suit my measurements and swing speed/type. Ping, Calloway, and a few others are good at this. I would love to get my hands on some cutom fitted Calloway's X-14s or the VFTs...or is it VTFs. :D

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Mike too. Equipment will not help nearly as much as lessons. If you already have a passable set of clubs, I'd go for lessons. I'm a 3 handicap. I got a set of Ping Eye 2 for Christmas when I was 14. I got a set of Taylor Made Burner Plus metal woods for my birthday the same year. Fifteen years later, I'm still using the same irons and 3-wood. I've only upgraded the driver and added a lob wedge. Also-Check out the used bin at your local golf shops. You'd be amazed at what you can find. Many times golfers use the clubs for a year or even less and trade them in on new sets. My brother found a set of Taylor Made Burner Oversize irons in perfect condition last year for $149.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks