What's new

Building A Home Theater? Start Here. (1 Viewer)

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Hey Brian!

Just a quick update, I have an appointment with a fabricator tomorrow on designing my custom mounts. I am terrible at mechanical drawing so he is struggling with my drawing. I am bringing an actual speaker with me so he can get exact dimensions and after searching the web for examples to help him visualize my concept I bumped into a very fine site that is perfect for the DIY hometheater builder. Some of this equipment is rated at holding 500lbs. Really! I was pleasantly surprised to finally find real heavy duty parts. Much of their offerings are commercial industrial grade, but they have simple home applications as well. I want you to add the link to your wonderful site to help any crazy guys like me that want to mount full size speakers to their ceilings. This site will also help with the average installation too. Endless possibilities no matter what kind of ceiling you are dealing with. Most of the gear is aimed at displays or monitors if you will, but I can see the adaptability to use the parts for speakers as well. I of course will keep you posted and provide pictures of the final install. Small delay in my progress with a family matter, but it is under control and will just set me back a month. Please add this link and check it out when you get the time.
https://www.standsandmounts.com/

If you navigate to the top far right and click on the pull down menu under ALL you will see a section called Mount installation accessories. There is a huge amount of parts for almost any type of mounting you could imagine. I hope many DIY theater people find this helpful. Take care and stay safe. Oh and I just picked up my next display, I got an LG GX65" OLED, should be a killer to go with the sound.

20210421_111054.jpg

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
I might end up with an 11.1 system. Not sure what receiver I'll get. Most likely whatever setup the local AV dealer suggests.

I really like Anthem AV, but according to the AV store owner, it's quality took a nose dive about 5 years ago. He assured me he could get a setup as good as Anthem, for less money. I'd have to go into the store when I get a chance to, in order to dig more into the options.

The speakers will all be Paradigm MilleniaOne speakers, and a Paradigm UltraCube 10.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
So bumped into a better source for mounts of any kind. I can't share the full catalog PDF it is too large to attach. But here is a link. I got my gear back up and running, a new OLED hung on the wall, center channel on an expanding shelf at same exact tweeter height as the mains, and have mounts on the way for my CM5s. I am copying Auro layout with the speakers in the height channel being at 30 degrees above the mains. Atmos has adopted this position agreeing that it is fine for their codec. I gave up on ceiling mounts directly above firing down, and funny how things go but it isn't the best way to do it. Here is the link to very fine adjustable height mounts good for 50 kilograms in weight, and they swivel and tilt too.
This spring I am going to take the drivers and crossovers out of the large floor standers I have in the cellar and make custom cabinets that are smaller. I will post pics when I do it, but in the end I will have all 9 speakers exactly the same so the timbre will be intact and as good as it can be. I highly suggest anyone building a theater to read about Auro. And watch the videos on YouTube with Wilfried. It is the best codec of the 3.

Hope this helps all who are building!

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Brian it is because it isn't the best way to do it. I am lucky I had the delays I did because the Auro way is the best way. Do some research on the Auro vids on YouTube, and I wish you could invite Wilfried on as a guest on your Podcast someday.
I am still going to have all 9 speakers the same, just smaller cabinets in the height layer. All the same drivers and crossovers. I plan to build the upper layer cabinets in the spring. I will post more pics on the project, and show the build.
Even Dolby is now on board with the 30 degrees that Auro uses. That has to tell you something.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Brian it is because it isn't the best way to do it. I am lucky I had the delays I did because the Auro way is the best way. Do some research on the Auro vids on YouTube, and I wish you could invite Wilfried on as a guest on your Podcast someday.
I am still going to have all 9 speakers the same, just smaller cabinets in the height layer. All the same drivers and crossovers. I plan to build the upper layer cabinets in the spring. I will post more pics on the project, and show the build.
Even Dolby is now on board with the 30 degrees that Auro uses. That has to tell you something.
Interesting!

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I read way too much but in the end the info will go to good use. You can't keep a good man down LOL

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
This is another guide that has more new information to me. The width of the front speakers should match the display if possible, of course it must be fairly large. Also information on head occlusion when sitting on a couch with people to the right and left of you. It shows how to put the speakers a little bit more in front or in back of the people to avoid the heads getting in the way. Nice information from one of the premiere decoders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks