What's new

Buffy Musical DVD in yesterday's Variety (1 Viewer)

Chuck Parker

Agent
I imagine this thing would sell like mad if just this episode were released on DVD (with the cool retro poster art) in advance of the season box sets. I know I'd be in for one, as I wouldn't imagine I'm worthy of getting hold of the variety promo, whether one is counting HTF status or access to several hundred dollars of disposable income for ebay.

Does anyone know what ever happened to intent to release a soundtrack CD from this particular ep? I hadn't seen mention of it in a while!

-chuck

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There are plans to release a CD. Last date I heard was "fall"

They have to remix the music for a "music" environment. The songs were mixed dialogue heavy to make sure people could understand the lyrics for the show, but they want more of a balance for the CD

Of course, Joss has had no time to supervise said CD, so it's probably being done over the break

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I still have "Once More With Feeling" saved on my TiVo since the original broadcast :D. I must have watched it about 20 times since it first aired. It's so comforting to know I can watch it anytime I please.
-Mike...

Vanessa

Stunt Coordinator
I've started this message a few times now, primarily I'm a lurker on the HTF and pretty much all boards I frequent as I can't seem to put my thoughts into words in a concise way that doesn't just echo some previous post...

To the point, things like this are the reason why I visit the HTF so frequently. While I would never be worthly of what Peter S. is trying to do, and will wait until it Season 6 comes out; I find it amazing that he would silently support the board by not only suppling Jeff "High Priest o' Joss" with a copy, but then go out of his way to try and find if there are any others available.

All I can say is Bravo!

Oh, and Ric, your cover looks great!

Vanessa

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Original quote on the Internet from Josh Whedon himself around the beginning of November 2001:
Quick stop in. Saw a Q and yes, the musical ep is going to be a few
minutes longer, maybe run over by about six. So set your VCR's accordingly, particularly since Tuesday night is the ONLY TIME the show will be broadcast in its entirety. It will run again but deep cuts will have to be made -- UPN are gods for letting us run (a total of eight minutes) long, but they can't do it on the rerun too.
Meanwhile, the Season Two DVDs should ship around the end of the week, so get your pre-order in now if you haven't already. (IMHO, one of the best seasons ever of TV.)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and Ric, your cover looks great!
Thanks Vanessa. For those of you that know of my constant tweaking with my Star Trek covers, I couldn't help but mess around with this one a little more. I incorporated much of the text from Derek Miner's VHS cover (hope you don't mind Derek!).
So here it is, submitted for your approval...
Link Removed
Click Link Removed for larger view.
If anyone is lucky enough to get their hands on one of these DVDs and you want to use my cover, I will email the High res 300dpi version to you if your mailbox can handle 3 megs.
As for me.... It's back to Ebay!
-Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Still no luck on Ebay for me... I won't go any higher than 75.00! But there was some good news on the Buffy front for me today. Walked in one of my usual haunts to pick up The Hustler, and lo and behold there was the Buffy Season 2 set! Marked on sale at 49.99 it rang up at 42.99!

At last... I find a Buffy deal!

-Ric

Sarah S

Second Unit
$40.05 including shipping. The digital picture included with the auction could have shown the magazine...I'm not sure, the resolution was not to good. At any rate, I should be getting this any day now...so I'm crossing my fingers & hoping. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
40 bucks is about what it's worth, seriously

Don't spend more than $50 on this disc, it's not worth it. For the amount some of these people are charging, you can buy a cheap Daewoo or Apex and the Season 6 box next year

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I guess I'm officially nuts. I just got someone to sell me a Buffy Musical DVD for 75 bucks!

Everyday more of these things are popping up on Ebay, so somebody is gettin ahold of them.

Congrats on your bid Sarah, it sounds like you got one of the best prices yet!

Hope my wife likes it!

-Ric

It might come as a slight consolation to those without this DVD that, being a screener, there is text saying so burned onto the lower part of the screen at intervals.

It can be distracting.

P.S. Does anyone know why they windowboxed the letterboxing for this episode? My VHS copy had black borders at the edges, and so does the DVD.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
They specifically used the whole 16x9 frame for visual composition as well as the titles in this episode. I think they wanted to minimize the amount of picture lost to overscan in regular 4:3 broadcasts, so they windowboxed it. At the time of the original broadcast, someone said this was how the Angel episodes were, however none of the ones I have watched have been windowboxed.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I suppose since a week has gone by and Peter hasn't said anything that it's not looking very good... :frowning:
(I hope we didn't scare him off!)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I got the DVD tonight. My wife and I really enjoyed it. The sound really rocks! I know I spent too much, but I am still happy with it.
I have gotten a few requests for the cover but have had limited sucess due to people's size linitations for their mailboxes.
So here is a Link Removed where you can get the Hires version off the web if you wish.
For those who are unable to pay these crazy prices and are disappointed in not getting this... FEAR NOT! Now that I have bought it on Ebay,(well not actually..It was an email from someone that saw me bid there) it's just a matter of months before FOX releases this to the general public.
It's called Easton's Law (Used to be Murphy's)
Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm thinking that they might see the light and release this one separately. I think there are alot of folks who would buy this that might not pick up all of the box sets. Fox just has to realize what they have on their hands here.

Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks