What's new

Bring back "Battle of the Network Stars".... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I remember watching this as a kid. It would be so much better now that their are 6 networks. I guess the problem now is getting the rights to use the other network people and getting stars to lower their appearance fees. Unless, the money raised goes to the actors charities, similar to when tv stars appear on game shows (ie-Millionaire, Weakest Link, etc.)
ps-Where else can Mr.Kotter beat Robert Conrad in a sporting event. Total humiliation for Jim West. ;)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I can remember these being true family events. WE would all gather aroundthe TV and cheer for our favourite actors. This coming back would be a great idea.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I just wonder if today's stars would do it for several reason:

1) Do they have the time between a series and movies during the hiatus period...

2) With there being such competition now between the networks, would they even be able to get all the people together from the different networks to do it? And who would get the rights to air it?

3) Would you find stars eager enough to compete in a sportings event the same way they will for power these days?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I would love this! I loved the battle whenever it was on.

Chuck:

1) Yes, some stars would.

2) Rotate it between the 6 networks

3) I think there are a number of people who would be afraid to do it thinking it would be too silly.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I think they should bring back "Battle of the Network T's & A's".
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Battle of the Network Stars has morphed into Celebrity Boxing.
Didn't you get the memo? ;)
Seriously, 'Battle' was something that I don't think could happen now. It was a vestige of a time where there was a pretty clear delineation between movie actors and TV actors. Crossing over to film after having established oneself in TV was a pretty big deal back then. And doing TV after having done films was a sort of sign of defeat.
Hence, very few TV actors ever had the opportunity to do movies (excepting made for TV movies, I suppose) in their hiatus periods.
Also, so few networks have "stars" to call their own anymore since so few series actually last any length of time. I doubt there is any sense of network loyalty anymore. Battle of the Network Stars would just be Regis, Jay & Dave armwrestling. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks