What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Brewing my own Starbucks (1 Viewer)

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Around this time last year I lost my coffee maker. I don't mean it died... I think it ran away. I started making a daily stop(s) at my local Starbucks and I got addicted. Well, a few months later I got a really nice coffee maker for my birthday but I still craved the rich and bold Starbucks flavor. I started buying ground Starbucks coffee. Sumatra is my favorite and really the only one I buy.

My problem is I just cannot get it to taste like the pros. My pot makes 12 cups, I actually just gave it a good cleaning (inside and out) and I use one of the metal reusable filters.I tried to do it with as little coffee as possible at first thinking it is easier to add than take away. But I have been adding more and more. I am almost to a full tablespoon per cup now.... I use cold water when I start, I tried hot once but it runs right through. Any ideas? Other than opening a Starbucks in my kitchen.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
i went through the same thing a few years ago and here's what I did:
I got a starbucks coffee maker (the predecessor to this one; one of their gold cone filter thingys, buy freshly ground or grind yourself good coffee and use filtered water.

It is a thermal carafe and it keeps it hot, but if its been sitting for longer than an hour, the taste deteriorates so I usually drink it right away.

Also, I do not use the recommended coffee scoops per cup. I suggest you test out different variations and find your favorite combination.

The results have been great. I am not one for overstatement so I am not going to say its phenomenal, or fantastic but its very good. I still think the Starbucks coffee is better, however, I am happy with the results and this setup is the best setup I have ever had compared with previous trials.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Look into a Bunn coffee maker, or any other maker that claims to brew coffee at the correct temperature. Most coffee makers scald the grounds and this makes a huge difference in the taste. Coffee should be brewed between 195 and 205 degrees. Once you've done that, if you're still not happy, consider buying a burr grinder and grinding your own beans before each pot of coffee.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I have been thinking about grinding my own beans so maybe that will be the next step. It's funny, I can justify buing dvds and a projector and speakers when needed because she enjoys that stuff as well, but a new coffee maker.... hell had better freeze over.

I usually finish my coffee with in an hour or so, but, my maker does have a timer so after 2 hours it shuts off, which is great for hetic mornings.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ron P, a little side note. I was reading over at AVS about the silverscreen and saw that you tried it a year or two ago with your older projector but now have a Z3, right? Thats what I have now as well. What screen are you using for it? I am thinking of trying the silverscreen. I have a graywolf right now but the texture (and small size) and washed out whites drive me nuts, but, plain blackout material offers even worse blacks than what I have now.. I'm so frustrated.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Chad, it's a custom mixed paint from Lowes. I have the can in my shed, tomorrow I'll get the code for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks