What's new

Breaking Bad - Season 5 (AMC) (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Just an unbelievable episode, all-around! Just hard to believe that there are only 4 episodes left, and that's it! I won't really get into most of the stuff, since it has already been discussed. But this show is literature on TV!Even after Jesse tried to burn his house down after finding out what Walt did, he still calls him Mr. White. I did not realize that until an episode of Talking Bad, when I heard Aaron Paul refer to him as Walt, which just sounded foreign to me.Love how this season has used 2 Disney references so far! First Scrooge McDuck, and now Old Yeller. :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
Even after Jesse tried to burn his house down after finding out what Walt did, he still calls him Mr. White.
For some reason, I love that he always calls him Mr. White. Although Jesse did call him 'Walt' once back in an episode in the second season when he and Walt were arguing in the RV and Jesse was trying to take Walt down a peg or two.

EDIT: Here's a roundtable discussion with Alan Ball, Carlton Cuse, Vince Gilligan and Damon Lindelof talking about how to end their TV shows: http://www.interviewmagazine.com/culture/exit-strategies

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Quentin said:
I do agree that the truly most interesting thing now is how far will Hank go now that Jesse has suggested they can take Walt down together.

But, while you're right about the videotape confession not being useful due to Jesse being alive (if he ends up dead, it can't be used either since it is being taken illegally), what I'm saying is that NOTHING they are doing right now is legal. Jesse isn't under arrest? That's not correct. He has been arrested, and is out on bail after contacting his lawyer. He can't then be picked up and treated as a cooperative witness - by a guy who questioned him without witnesses, and who also beat him at one time - without any record and without his lawyer present. This is all quite illegal and on the down low. And, all of the 'fruit' that comes from it would be considered 'poisoned' and inadmissable.

Hank knows this. Gomez SHOULD know it. And, once (if?) they join Jesse to take Walt down they will cross from being inadmissable to being criminal.
None of the other characters are probably going to have the opportunity to take that dramatic a fall, or go that far down the rabbit-hole, but does Hank shrugging off the possibility of Jesse's death, Gomie going along with Hank, Marie enjoying the fantasy of poisoning someone, or Skyler suggesting murder really come off as less nefarious than Walt's initial, boneheaded scheme to make some needed dough by illegal means?

All these reactions seem to be pretty in-character, and quite sensible in their respective contexts. Yet they're all unquestionably "bad" things.

It's thought-provoking. I think fate is going to prevent a lot of these charcters from finding out just how low they can go from here, but what virtuous next stage are you really likely to graduate to once you've started Googling untraceable poisons? In some sense, it's irrelevant that Walt is the one that created this awful atmosphere for most of these characters. However, given such an atmosphere, everyone is proving that they do, indeed, bend.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Quentin said:
I do agree that the truly most interesting thing now is how far will Hank go now that Jesse has suggested they can take Walt down together.

But, while you're right about the videotape confession not being useful due to Jesse being alive (if he ends up dead, it can't be used either since it is being taken illegally), what I'm saying is that NOTHING they are doing right now is legal. Jesse isn't under arrest? That's not correct. He has been arrested, and is out on bail after contacting his lawyer. He can't then be picked up and treated as a cooperative witness - by a guy who questioned him without witnesses, and who also beat him at one time - without any record and without his lawyer present. This is all quite illegal and on the down low. And, all of the 'fruit' that comes from it would be considered 'poisoned' and inadmissable.

Hank knows this. Gomez SHOULD know it. And, once (if?) they join Jesse to take Walt down they will cross from being inadmissable to being criminal.
Jesse was arrested by APD, and presumably they read him his rights and questioned him about the money. He said nothing and was eventually released. I don't think he was charged with anything by APD and therefore didn't need bail to get out. He ended up with Hank and is (I think) not under arrest by the DEA. The video confession is voluntary. Hank might have a hard time proving it, though Gomie is a witness that Jesse was cooperating with them in order to bring down Walt. I don't think anything Hank is doing is illegal or in violation of Jesse's rights.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It tends to get real quiet here just before a new episode airs.

oldman.gif

And, oh my god, it's almost here, and does anyone else dread it, because surely this episode is going to be A BLOOD BATH.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
My brain is full of fuck. All these spinning plates, and they still haven't toppled.

Vince Gilligan is like Hitchcock or Carpenter when it comes to suspense.

(Also, very cool detail, Travis -- my heart was so about to explode during that whole sequence that I never caught that.)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I knew Hank was toast as soon as he called Marie (probably even right before that).

Wow. Just wow.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Scott Hanson said:
I knew Hank was toast as soon as he called Marie (probably even right before that).

Wow. Just wow.
I still think the phone call could be a feint. Gilligan knows that we know what a conversation like that means in cop stories.

That said, my face still contorted in shock and awe during those last few minutes. It will probably stay that way forever.

There needs to be a meme of intense moments on various TV shows suddenly getting cut off by "EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: VINCE GILLIGAN."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks