What's new

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I disagree that it’s slow. Its pacing matches the creepy feel of films from the classic era of horror films. It remains a strong Coppola film. The weak links are Reeves and Ryder.

When the picture was released to cinemas I was very annoyed with the casting of Reeves and Ryder. Did not care for either of them. Really loved what he did with the film and loved watching it in a theater. I think I saw it 4 or 5 times while it was playing. Yes, never enjoyed Reeves or Ryder but thought it was brilliantly made and I liked Oldman, Waits, and Hopkins.

Still love the film now, still wish he had not cast Reeves and Ryder.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I like Ryder in it but find Hopkins to be ridiculously over-the-top and annoying. I always wanted Max Von Sydow to play Van Helsing in a DRACULA adaptation.

Vincent

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I like Ryder in it but find Hopkins to be ridiculously over-the-top and annoying. I always wanted Max Von Sydow to play Van Helsing in a DRACULA adaptation.

Vincent

Yeah, Hopkins is gnawing on scenery but he is kind of fun doing it. Love Max and I think you are spot on, he would make a great Van Helsing.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit

Vincent
I always felt that was Coppola’s intention and Hopkins to make Van Helsing crazy-he’s dealing in elements of the supernatural which drove him mad to a degree. It fits with the overall feel of the film which has always felt larger than life almost like a gothic soap opera. I always felt Coppola also told Hopkins “remember Van Helsing” IS a little crazy. Play it that way.’

I do think that Max would have been a terrific Van Helsing as well but it was not to be-certainly better than Oliver who was, IMHO, not up to the task. I think casting Max in the 1979 would also have been perfect. He would have been young enough to being some ofmthe energy someone like Cushing did to the role.

In fact, I’m this interview with Dick Cavett he describes Van Helsing as ’crazy’ Van Helsing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks