What's new

Books you've read in 2010 (2 Viewers)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I've been reading H.G. Wells.

Already completed The Time Machine, The Island of Dr. Moreau and The Invisible Man. I think all 3 of these hold up well.

Currently reading The First Men in the Moon. While the premise of getting to the moon holds up well in science fiction terms, what the moon is like does not hold up well in light of our manned spaceflight achievements. As a result, I'm having trouble getting through it.

There are still 3 other works in this collection.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Children of the Mind, by Orson Scott Card. I've finished the Ender's Game quartet. This last book started off as a total slog. It was dull, overwrought with even more philosophizing that in the previous books -- which is a lot. It was no longer about Ender or the Hive Queen or the Piggies, but about secondary and tertiary characters, often a road to dullsville. I struggled to get stay with it. But halfway through, it came together. The foggy plot resolved itself; characters talked a bit less and did a bit more. And the book pulled itself together and had a satisfying ending to the last two books, particularly, and Ender's story generally.

The Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman. I listened to this on audiobook during this week's vacation driving. It is a perfect audiobook! The book is not read, but performed, and the "performer" is marvelous. The voices for all main characters are distinct, suit the personalities and draw out an extra richness from the book. The story itself is great fun. I was anxious when I checked it out from the library. I read American Gods and it was intellectually interesting, but emotionally distant, and was a dark, complicated book. I was afraid I'd have a book hard to listen to and offputting to my wife. In contrast, Anansi Boys is pure joy. It is a Coraline for adults, but more whimsical. The story is convoluted, but simple. And to me it pays homage to Douglas Adams throughout with its ironic and absurd analogies he was prone to (hung there the way bricks don't). I'm sure the book proper is a good read. But I cannot recommend this highly enough as an audiobook for your next road trip. I was disappointed when a drive would only be 10 minutes and not give me time to listen to another chunk.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Two books about movies: Citizen Kane - The 50th Annivesary Album and The Godfather Legacy, both by Harlan Lebo. Checked both out of the local library last week after watching my copy of Kane followed by The Godfather Trilogy on Blu Ray. Both were interesting reads, but also had distinct flaws. The Kane book is the better of the two. There are a few new nuggets among the well-known stories about the film, and Lebo makes a better case for the film not being largely about William Randolph Hearst than I've seen in other books. (Most of the ones I've read just take if for granted that Kane was Hearst and think Welles simply lied about the connection to avoid a libel suit.) In fact, he argues that Hearst himself may not have been personally involved in the effort to destroy Kane, but that his loyal minions may have acted on their own, like Henry II's knights in killing Beckett.

The main value is the "album" portion, which features tons of reproduction material including clippings of original reviews, programs from the premiere and behind-the-scenes photos. (One of the reviews actually revealed the mystery of "Rosebud" in its closing paragraph. I guess they didn't use spoiler alerts back then.) The book also has strange elipses in the story-telling, devoting almost no space to Mankiewicz and his contribution and completely omitting the alleged origin of the name "Rosebud", which apochryphal or not is widely believed to have been the real cause of Hearst's ire. If you're going to deny that Hearst had a personal vendetta against Welles and Kane you pretty much have to deal with this story and Lebo doesn't.

The Godfather book devotes most of its space to the first film, a bit to the second and as little as possible to the third (despite the author's having a generally more favorable view of the film than most movie-goers.) Again, it is mostly the familiar anecdotes, with curious omissions and - in some cases - contradictions to on-the-record accounts of events from Coppola and others that I've encountered elsewhere. (The famous story about the "Leave the cannoli" line is totally botched.) I got a lot more out of the commentary and bonus material on the Coppola Restoration Blu Ray than from the book.

Regards,

Joe

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Finished Sahara by Clive Cussler awhile ago. Not too bad, but sometimes it felt like too many incidences of "serendipity" were used to drive the story.

Also finished The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman a few days ago. This is supposedly a "children's story", but it certainly doesn't read like one. I actually think that this story had better writing than Cussler's "Sahara". The structure doesn't show as much and it seemed less predictable.

Almost finished The Subtle Knife by Pullman. It amazes me that the filmmakers thought an adaptation of this series could have had the anti-religion aspects pulled out. This series, basically, is one big polemic against religion. It especially feels like it takes particular aim at Catholicism. I can see why a lot of religious types would see this series as blasphemous. It essentially puts forward the notion that Satan's side was actually the right side in the "war in heaven" as described in the bible. Of course, Pullman is savvy enough never to refer to or mention Satan. He merely refers to the first war in heaven while one of his characters plans to finish the job against "The Creator" by launching war in heaven number 2. Outside of its obvious anti-religious underpinnings, it is a well-written page turner.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

Finished Sahara by Clive Cussler awhile ago. Not too bad, but sometimes it felt like too many incidences of "serendipity" were used to drive the story.
Sahara....I recall that being one of my favorite CC novels :) His stories have lots of serendipity, including the visit from the Man himself, to save our heroes.

finished King of Torts, by John Grisham, on audiobook. I've not read a Grishman novel in a number of years. He seemed to have written all he ready had in him and plummet in quality a while back. So I got this for the vacation drive with a bit of trepidation. But it was rather enjoyable. It tells the story of the rise and fall of a young lawyer in the class-action, or mass tort law, profession. It starts in an unexpected direction, involves some very intriguing and odd conspiricies that ultimately go nowhere, slows as it teaches the reader more than they wanted to know about mass torts, rallies itself in the climatic chapters, and then fizzles out as it slumps off to a meager conclusion that requires something of a lesser deus ex machina and a "I'm out of ideas so lets quit now" closer.

The audiobook performance is quite good, approaching that of Anansi Boys. A good listen for a long drive. Might be less interesting to read for fun in otherwise useful time.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I just read Zero Cool by John Lange. Lange is actually Michael Crichton under an early pseudonym. This was okay. Crichton seems like he's going for a Hitchcockian North by Northwest flavor with a regular guy protagonist vacationing in Spain and caught up in an inscrutable war between rival factions, trying to float his way through it with a lot of witty banter. It's not quite as amusing as it's trying to be but at least it reads really fast and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Then I read Thuvia, Maid of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Trying to refresh myself before the Disney movie comes out in a couple of years :) Not quite as good as the initial John Carter trilogy but it's entertaining enough. The usual Burroughs style.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Few comments on the above:

Dave: Yeah, Children of the Mind is a tricky one. First time I read it, I really really hated it. I've read it several times since then, and it has really grown on me. I will say, I mostly tell people considering it and Xenocide to grab the unabridged audiobook instead, because the dialog really comes alive and it makes it into a completely different experience. One of the best audiobook renditions ever, IMHO. (And yes, Quarra is absolutely revolting in it, especially after the accusation speech, and the way the actress plays those sequences is great great stuff)

In regards to "King of Torts" I love that Grisham book, it's a great one for me. I dislike how it ended, but it gives a look at a side of the law I have always wondered about.. roping in huge amounts of defendants, settling, and then keeping 40% while everyone else divides up the rest. As they start to run the numbers, it's just mind boggling in that book.

Edwin: I found "Golden Compass" to be very good, "Subtle Knife" to be less so, but still very good.. and I admit, despite all the absolute praise, I found "Amber Spyglass" to be annoying, contradictory, and just bad. But that's me. Nothing to do with the religious elements, just too many "gotcha!" moments that undercut the story.

I just finished the Percy Jackson 5 book series. As childrens lit, it's "OK" but too many pop culture references (brandnames, etc.) will date it, and it completely changes gear in the last book. I'd call it a very poor-man's Harry Potter series.

Since last post, I took time to read Adele Park's "Young Wives Tales".. it's a decent chick lit book, but it has something happen in the last third that was just floor-me shocking. And the way it was treated by a female author just really bothered me. (A woman gets plastered, drunk out of her mind, and is left to get home by her own vices, someone takes advantage of her after she is collapsed in a room, and she spends time hiding it from her husband). I emailed the author and pointed out that maybe in the UK it doesn't work this way, but here in the US, that's rape. And the fact that everyone was ready to throw her down the bus was crazy offensive to me. The author actually answered her own email and commented on how much more liberal and forward laws are in the US, and that she wished more people thought that way.. but then again the woman went to the party tipsy and she made the choice to keep drinking. Somehow, I couldn't get passed the point that taking advantage of someone who's blackout drunk is just.. wrong, and while she may be at fault for drinking herself there, it certainly didn't change the read of the book for me.

I'm glad you like Anansi Boys.. I just grabbed that from Audible for travel .. I'm looking forward to it

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'm about halfway through Go Down Together: The True, Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde by Jeff Guinn. Definitely the best stuff about the pair that I've come across, and I've read several books that were entirely about them or covered them as part of the broader story of the "motorized bandits" of the early 30s. (Including Public Enemies, a very good book made into a not-very-good-or-accurate movie.) I got on topic after watching my recently acquired Blu Ray of the movie. (Amazon had the digibook for $15.99 - less than the regular packaging, so I grabbed it.) I thought I knew a fair amount about the famous outlaws and their friends, but Guinn had access to unpublished memoirs written by family members of both outlaws as well as others involved with the pair that were not available to earlier biographers. He also conducted his own interviews with witnesses to or participants in their crimes who still survive, and descendants of those who don't.

Guinn doesn't make excuses for the pair, but he does put them squarely in context of their time and place, and helps explain some of the factors that made them who they were. There's the substance of a very interesting movie here, completely unlike the Hollywood fantasy of Warren Beatty and Arthur Penn. (Which was a very good fantasy on its own terms, but less historical than Hamlet or The Scottish Play.) BTW, when I saw Guinn talking about his book on C-SPAN2, he mentioned that someone was doing a remake of Bonnie and Clyde, and that someone from the production had contacted him for background information. The same person also told him that the new film would have "a surprise ending". Nice to know some things never change.

Regards,

Joe

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Halfway though Justin Cronin's "The Passage".

I won't try to describe it, several folks have done a swell job of that at Amazon.

My prediction is that in a couple of years there will be some very excited posts at HTF about the movie version of this book.

Of course, well before then this thread will have been archived.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just finished the first two books in the Sookie Stackhouse mystery series.. (True Blood is based on them) wrapped up "Dead in Dallas". I tend to like the books more; though it amazes me how well the show does with the concept laid out. Two huge differences: Lafyette and Tara.. and in those points, I wish the show was much more true to the book.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Afghan, by John Forsythe, is a modern military fiction. It's another "puzzle" book with more concern on the construct than the character, but well down as such. The notion is this: tear apart recent history with Afghanistan, insert a fictional character into that history in a believable way, then imagine a new and terrible terrorist attack, and then work out how to defeat it.

The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman, is, according to the book press and the foreword, one of the greatest military sci-fi books ever. It was written in 1974. Somehow, despite being a reputed great, neither I nor any of my friends had ever heard about it. But we weren't that savvy about the classics. So I read it, at the recommendation of a coworker. It's a very good book. I'm not sure I can consider it one of the best ever, but perhaps if I better understood it in it's original context, I'd feel differently. But to construct my own context, and create a mini-reading list, it goes like this:

1984 (George Orwell) begets The Forever War (Joe Haldeman) begets Old Man's War (John Scalzi).

Having buried the lede, The Forever War is about men being sent out to fight a war of dubious value, far off in space, and being cut off from their homeland because of the effects of relativity. The treatment of the effects of relativity are interesting. The consideration of a Forever War and the ebb of slow of society is intriguing and provocative. The view of war's impact on the individual is sympathetic, if not groundbreaking from the vantage of 2010.

I recommend it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't see how Orwell's 1984 begets Haldeman's The Forever War. Please explain your reasoning for the connection. To me, the Vietnam war was a more direct influence on the themes of pointless war and alienation present in TFW.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I finished reading the Takeshi Kovacs "trilogy" (Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Furies) by Richard Morgan. Kind of like film-noir SF. Not bad! The science wasn't the best but the writing is pretty gnarly and entertaining!

Now I'm reading "The Incorporated Man" - another SF novel, where in the future everyone has to incorporate themselves. It's nothing special so far.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Max-

Good read on those. I really liked "Altered Carbon" but really didn't so much get into Broken Angels or Woken Furies, which I didn't think had the snappy middle that "Altered Carbon" did.

If you like that, and want to go a totally different direction try "The Traveler" "Dark River" etc.. almost the polar opposite from a SciFi perspective from "Altered Carbon"

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I have been reading different things over the last several years but my oldest son just reached an age where we can read the same books and discuss them. I have read all the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" books and several SF books that he got from school. However over the last year the two books that have stood out the most are "Hunger Games" and "Catching Fire". I absolutely loved these books and we both really enjoyed reading and talking about them each day. The last book in the trilogy does not come out until the end of this month so is there anything anyone can recommend that we both might enjoy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hunger Games still on my bookshelf, waiting to be read (Adam's recommendation, I think it was). I can't link to it right now, but there's a new Hunger Games boardgame.

My wife and I are back to Inkheart. The beginning was a slog, with far too many words. It's picking up now that we're into the thick of the story.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DaveF

Hunger Games still on my bookshelf, waiting to be read (Adam's recommendation, I think it was).

Yes it was. Haven't kept up with this thread, but I've been doing a good deal of reading this year. Right now I'm breezing through Clancy's Ryanverse books (in chronological rather than publication order) to kill time until my favorite authors start coming out with stuff. I'm super-psyched for the third Hunger Games novel at the end of the month.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt I'm super-psyched for the third Hunger Games novel at the end of the month.

Adam,

Since you like the Hunger Games is there anything else that you can recommend for my son and I?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks