What's new

bnc connectors instead of rca?? (1 Viewer)

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen articles that say bnc connectors are way better that rca. Is this true? I'm going to build my component cables using 1694a belden cable. Does anybody know what crimping tool I would use for a bnc connector? THX DIY

Arthur_King

Stunt Coordinator
and what are you planning on hooking those BNC connectors TO? My Cable box(HD), DVD player, and TV have 3 RCA's for Component. how are you planning on plugging BNC connectors into your TV, or your DVD player or your Cable box or Satellite box?

Just Curious. It seems to me that there are 20 other things that you can do to improve your performance before the "type" of connector makes a difference. Maybe you've done all those things already and need that extra 1% of performance. *shrug*

Daffy Arthur King
with the brain of a duck

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
I was planning on using them on my projector and dvd player.
Is it a way different kind of connector? I mean I could use the rca but I just read something on them(BNC) Is there a cheaper crimper and die I can use on canare connectors. Any suggestions? THX King

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

Theta's David II has BNC outputs. I seem to recall seeing at least one other one. Also, a lot of people with projectors will purchase scalers or line doublers which use BNC outputs. All that said, unless you are going to purchase all top of the line equipment I don't know that you'll see the advantage of using BNC connectors.

- Dan Hine

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
My projector, a Sony VPL-W400Q, and Extron Sync-Combiner both use BNC connectors. But as stated these are commercial/industrial devices.

If the whole world used BNC's it would be great. They're MUCH, MUCH, better than RCA's.

There are a couple of benefits, one they are positive locking, so they never fall out. Second they can be 'hot swapped' given how they break the ground when they're unplugged.

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
As far as crimping tools go, you can use the Canare TC-1 crimping frame, TC-D-35C crimping die, and the BCP-C53 BNC plugs.

CJ

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
On the Belden web site there is/was a connector cross-reference chart that will tell which BNC connectors fit the dimensions of the 1694A coax. Once you pick the connector, then go to the vendors web-site or information packet. There they will tell you:

- dimensions for the cable stripping to fit
- crimp dimensions

Then you buy a generic crimp-frame (Ratchet style is nice for about $24 from Parts Express). Then you buy a set of crimp-dies that match the crimp dimensions for the connector. (about $25)

Here is a link to Chris White's A really easy way to make your own high quality cables site that has inspired many of us to build our own cables.

Yes, BNC connectors run about $0.39-$0.54 each which is cheaper than the $2 Canare RCA plugs. But when you start to invest in the tools you realize that the tool cost far outweighs the connector cost difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks