What's new

Blue Tinted Image from DVR Receiver (1 Viewer)

tfromnj

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
I had a Direct TV installation on Saturday and had checked the images and they all seemed fine. Then I realized later that day that the images from one receiver were blue toned (watching blue college basketball is not fun). I think I was watching one of those night vision shows and the blueish image looked fine then. Next time, I will turn the channels when I get an installation.

Here is how it is set up now (by installer):
Direct TV R15 is sending the image (S Video Cable and Audio Video Cables for both audio and video) to Bose Lifestyle 38 in the Satellite/Cable feed. This is then sent to a In Focus 5700 Projection Screen TV.

The image comes through clearly but has a blue tint (signifcant). I tried to disconnect the Audio Video Cable since that seemed to duplicate the work of the S Video Cable but then I get no image. I disconnected the S Video Cable (leaving the AV Cables) and get just a black and white image of what is on the channel.

In all of these cases, I used the same input and output from the Bose system (i.e., S Video in and out, then tried AV Cables in and out only).

I played a DVD on the Bose and it shows up fine on the Projection Screen TV.

I have gone through all of the menus (twice) for the DVR, the Lifestyle 38, and the Infocus and nothing is helping me get a normal image.

I connected the DVR directly to the Projection TV and have the same issue (in terms of blue tint on image).

I carried a TV from upstairs that was working with another DVR and brought it down to test it. The image through the downstairs DVR looks fine on the TV from upstairs (but only had the Video connection and not the S Video Cable connection because there was no S Video connection on the TV).

The S Video Cable and Audio Cable output is converted to a component output (red, green, and blue) shortly after the Bose system. I am guessing that the conversion to the component output is causing the problems I having. Unfortunately, the wiring goes behind the walls shortly after the coversion to a component output occurs.

Thanks for any help in figuring this out

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Usually a blue/green/red tint points to an incorrect, loose or defective component cable/input. Check you component connections for proper connections (red->red, blue->blue, etc) and make sure they are tight.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I think the DVR is set to a low grade output and not to the S-video output. When the monitor is expecting a high grade signal but receives a low grade signal you see blue. (Although it doesn't explain why the picture goes from bluish to B&W when you detach the S-video; so now I'm not so certain.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks