What's new

Blue fringe following moving figures when showing b/w movie on new LED TV (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
After having a Vizio M55-D0 for about 10 days and deciding I couldn't stand the judder of 60hz and realizing I wasn't yet ready for 4K (it made DVDs literally look like VHS), I traded it in for a 1080P LED set. I got a Sony KDL60W630B/2 that RTNGS spoke fairly high of. Everything looks fine, except when playing the new restored blu-ray of Frankenstein I noticed a slight blue fringing around dark objects in fast movement. The blue seems to follow close behind the moving figure. Kinda distracting. Does anybody know any way to eliminate this? This certainly isn't a top-of-the line TV, but coming from a 36" HD flat screen CRT, it's a step up for me.

Could this maybe be a problem with the gamma setting?

Oh, I've done just a basic calibration using this page: http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/calibration-guide/sony-kdl48w600b-copy.html Hope to go more in depth the next couple days.

Last edited:

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Adjusting the gamma setting didn't appear to make much difference. I adjusted the backlight down which *I think* did lessen the effect. Watched the Criterion ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and pretty much only noticed it on fast pans through the jungle, on the black trees.

Can't believe no one else has had to deal with this on a backlit LED set...

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Okay, let me ask another question: is there any way to go into the service menu and turn chroma completely off, so I'm just getting the b/w portion of the picture? Anybody know?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks