What's new

Hello... my first new post in a long time.... although I doubt anyone I used to know is still here? (1 Viewer)

govtdog

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Morris
I too got mine at our local Walmart for $688. I got there 2 hours before they went on sale at 10p and I was 9th in line. The store ended up having 45 of these TVs in stock so I had no problem getting one. Now that I have it, I wish I had more money since I should have bought two of them.
First, a little history. I am one of the early adopters of HDTV from back in the days when you had to use a Chinese adapter(DC-DA1) in order to view your line doubling DVD player in 1080i on your non-HDMI compliant HDTV. Eventually, in those early years, I ended up with only HDTVs in the house, 4 of them. Two of them were huge rear projection, CRT based HDTVs, one of which(50" RCA) I got at a Walmart Black Friday sale for $588. That remains our gaming room HDTV and gets used primarily for XBox360 and secondary sports viewing. My primary movie/serious TV and family room TV was my beloved Pioneer 64HD5 set which had been ISF calibrated. As the years went by and LCD models replaced CRT based units, I bought a high end Sony LCD TV for our bedroom to replace a tube SDTV and ended up returning it within the first week. I just couldn't bear watching it with all the blurring every time someone moved quickly. Sports was unwatchable, IMO. The solution at the time was a Samsung 42" DLP, which is still serving bedroom duty now.
That brings us to this Visio LED HDTV. The Pioneer set had been giving us trouble for the last couple of years and after replacing the convergence chips and re-soldering one of the boards it is blowing the middle board's middle fuse once again. This time, I decided to get modern and figured that for $688 for a 60"er, I couldn't go wrong.
Set up the Visio and connected it via inputs as follows:
HDMI 1 - DTVPal HD-DVR (OTA only)
HDMI 2 - $38 LG Blu-Ray Player bought at Walmart's Black Friday sale
Component - JVC DVHS Player
Coax In - DTVPal TV Out
Connected Digital Audio outputs on source components and Visio TV to Digital Audio Switcher Box(AA 1177) set on Auto Select.
Digital Audio Box to Krell HTS 7.1 via 25" RG6 cable used as digital coax cable.
Turned it on and Out of the box, it was horrid looking unless used for gaming(which you know is not supposed to look real). Changed to Movie mode/home setup and it was much better. Black levels not bad for a non-CRT TV. Still can see some fast action blurring but it is bearable and I see it less and less every day. No lip sync problems noted with any input or via onboard ATSC tuner. Onboard SPEAKERS SUCK BIG TIME so I seldom use them, even for nightly TV viewing.
Watched Promethius Blu-Ray and was WOWED... not by the movie but by the images.
Looking to do a self calibration on this set but never have done one on an LED/LCD based HDTV and even wonder if there are Blu-Ray/DVDs designed to walk you through doing one?
Haven't yet tried the recommended setup seen on Page 19 of this thread, but wonder if I will like the VIVID setting since my video taste leans more toward filmlike and less like PC gaming.
So far... this is the best $700 I have spent on anything in a long, long, long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks