What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Blu-rays With the Worst Cover Art (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
c0ce6c63_1980-the-shining-poster1.jpg

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Dang, why can't I ever get on one of these focus groups to tell them how bad their new ideas look? I also do not agree that in most cases this has anything to do with legal issues or release forms. I truly believe the studios think these "new" covers sell more. If that's actually true, then people's attention spans have indeed gone off the cliff. I find it hard to be that cynical.

I don't even mind if the poster art isn't used as long as what is used is interesting and appealing and actually has something to do with the movie in the box. Is that too much to ask? The big faces in most cases is the wrong way to go. Having Wesley Snipes or Woody Harrelson looking at me will not make me buy "Money Train." The poster might; it looks a lot more exciting to me and I've never seen it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
On that City Slickers BD cover, they promote the names of Billy Crystal, Daniel Stern and Bruno Kirby...but show the floating heads of Jack Palance, Billy Crystal and Bruno Kirby.

Clearly, that makes a lot of sense.

==========

I'm just stopping by to let you fellas know I agree with most of what's being said here. My thought is that it's just not something that is considered all that important by the studios and that a certain amount of laziness/sameness has been brought into the equation.

It sure would be nice if original poster art were incorporated into disc covers. It seems like this is an issue which has plagued the hobby since its inception.

And then there's inserts with chapter lists... Remember them?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I don't think I can agree with that. There are some specific examples of movies that have gotten really terrible Blu-ray covers after having a perfectly fine DVD cover, but terrible, floating-head, photoshop hackjobs have been around since the beginning of DVD. Remember the original Hollow Man DVD?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Much as I agree that the cover art has gotten really bad, I must say that the posters for new movies really aren't much better. The demise of poster "art", as in a painted image, in my opinion has been a very sad thing.
Doug

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
There must be a contest in Hollywood for ugliest blu ray cover and it must be for big $$$$

I hope the UK cover isn't used in the states. It's a bastardization of Saul Bass's original art work

MGM/UA since you are the biggest offender (I, as a paying costumer) hope you replace you art director

747faa12_wss25082_front.jpg

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
it's kinda sad, I actually like my cover better - and my cover was a joke on the cheesy, exploitative and violent nature of recent blu-ray covers

4d0e97d3_wssbluu.jpg

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Cinescott
I don't even mind if the poster art isn't used as long as what is used is interesting and appealing and actually has something to do with the movie in the box. Is that too much to ask? The big faces in most cases is the wrong way to go. Having Wesley Snipes or Woody Harrelson looking at me will not make me buy "Money Train." The poster might; it looks a lot more exciting to me and I've never seen it.
I have seen it, and the greatest cover ever designed wouldn't get me to sit through that turkey again.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I've been wondering that about several UK covers referenced in the last couple of days. WTF's up with that, anyway?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Cinescott
How cool would it have been had they used this for the West Side Story cover?

acee4869_west-side-story.jpg
It sure makes more sense to have those dancing characters dancing on a representation of a fire escape than on skyscraper tops...

That UK cover is mighty bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks