What's new

Blu-rays With the Worst Cover Art (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by DellaStMedia
I don't disagree, but that's not an excuse to have bad art. Having no clue how they design these things, it just seems lazy to have such bad art work. Surely grabbing peoples attention doesn't mean they have to use bad art to do so.

Agreed. You really shouldn't have to use bad art period. I get that the DVD and Blu Ray jump out at you. They also miss-represent the film. It makes the movie look like a wacky comedy where some guy shrinks in size.

As a reference, here's the original VHS art.I don't see why this wouldn't work on a store shelf.
36f174a3_140.jpg

tiny art, it's the best I could find on google but you get the idea. Get rid of the border and it's a decent, eye catching cover using the original art (mostly) and looks good.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Russell G said:
  Agreed. You really shouldn't have to use bad art period. I get that the DVD and Blu Ray jump out at you. They also miss-represent the film. It makes the movie look like a wacky comedy where some guy shrinks in size. As a reference, here's the original VHS art.I don't see why this wouldn't work on a store shelf.
36f174a3_140.jpg
  tiny art, it's the best I could find on google but you get the idea. Get rid of the border and it's a decent, eye catching cover using the original art (mostly) and looks good.  
Well to be fair, Better Off Dead IS a wacky movie! :DBut if I saw that box the way I'm seeing it here, I would have no idea what movie that was. It doesn't say, here is that movie with John Cusak.And it isn't a matter of laziness, they really do put a lot of work and thought into these things.I used to work for a market research company in the Los Angeles area. I video taped the focus groups from behind the two way mirror. At the time we tested CD covers and VHS box covers (among other things). They would literally show them to people at different distances and ask them to score them. Then they would talk with them about why they scored the way they did. They would ask things like, which cover did you like best? Which cover did you look at first, etc. The cover they liked best wasn't always the cover that they looked at first. But the cover they looked at first was always the preference of the marketing people when they would talk about it after.Doug

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Beautiful Girls. The lead actor is incorrect (it should be Timothy Hutton) and nice touch with embedding the gold star "sticker."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks