What's new

Blender Mag Lists the 500 Greatest Songs Since 1980 (2 Viewers)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
As far as I can see, there are three logical ways to create a 'best of' list.

The first is by popularity.

The second is by historical importance.

The third is by critical acclaim.

Which one is this poll based on?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Shows just how weak the past 25 years of popular music is!

Any top 500 list of the 80's that skips "The Dead Milkmen" is totally out to lunch. Everyone with any taste knows that they turned into the premier pop/punk outfit of the 80's!

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
Only one Tom Petty song? Really?

I counted 6 songs I like. The 2 Van Halen, the 1 Tom Petty, 1 Rush, 1 Yes, and 1 Soundgarden.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I actually like a number of songs on here. Some people only like 5-10 of the 500. I like these (it's pretty obvious I love 80's music by this).

135/500 isn't so bad. There's quite a few good songs on this list IMO.

Mike<R

Agent
How can you have a best 500 greatest songs since 1980 and have TWO metal song on the list? That is like having the best zombie films since 1968 and leaving out Romero.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, that crappy list is probably the most music-related thing Blender magazine has ever done (Its a gossip rag really). :D

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor

What??? "Rough Boys" is only twelve spots vetter than "Sex Style???" What a travesty!!!!!!111111oneoneoneone

Seriously. "Top 500 anything" is by definition a stupid list.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
definately a weak list, i mean In Da Club at number 10? its obvious who the magazine appeals to and thats who they are trying to please with this list. how can a song like the pumpkins Tonight, Tonight not be on here? theres way too many songs from the past like 2 or 3 years, notably like all hip hip songs.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
This is a very strange list the more I look at it the more it sucks.
1 Clash & Ramones song each, no Bowie, no stones, i wierd Dylan song.
I thought I had everything Husker Du & X did except the songs they mentioned I never heard of.

I think they used a random song generator to do this list

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
It was compiled by 18 year olds for 18 year olds. I didn't go down the list line by line (after the first 50, you realize it's going to be a list of whoever has had a radio single the past two years) but I didn't see any Boyz II Men or Tears For Fears and only one Bright Eyes. Yes, indeed, the list sucks.

Bruce

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Come on....Billie Jean is a pretty damn catchy song to this day.

But, I think everyone will be pissed of by this list. Hip Hop, Metal, Grunge, etc. Any Biggie fan would have Juicy or One More Chance WAYYYYY before Hypnotize. Someone should burn down Blender's headquarters.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

I'd complain that it's so far down, but since there are NO Peter Gabriel songs on the list at all, I'm shocked that someone at the magazine even heard this song, let alone remembered and included it.

I can't comment on what's included otherwise, since I've probably heard less than 50 of the songs (well, I've only heard 15 of the top 100, which is where I quit counting).

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

Whoops.

Blame that one on me, not Blender.

I made a typo--it may or may not have been intentional, I don't know.

At any rate, no disrespect intended toward Bob Mould.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Eclectic and strange list. While "Crosseyed And Painless" is indeed an incredible song, I'd think "Burning Down The House" would rate higher for it's pop appeal and sales. It's not even there.

Lots of guilty pleasures here for me. "Borderline" is one of my favotite songs ever by anyone.

This list is Mentally HipHop Smoothed Out On The R&B-Tip With A Pop Feel Appeal To It.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

just because an artist is a one hit wonder doesn't mean the one shining moment wasn't memorable. I thought "Crush" was a better late 90's teen-pop song than anything Britney, Christina or Jessica Simpson ever recorded. "All The Things She Said" was great too (as a FYI, TATU just released a new cd and the first single is climbing the dance charts, so don't automatically dismiss them), kinda had the vocal harmonies of an ABBA song.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Hurt by Johnny Cash should've been higher on the list. All I know is that Blender since they've been in exsistance has created some really crappy lists anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks