What's new

Blade Runner Replacement Disc...is it worth calling WHV? (1 Viewer)

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill. :)
Hello you fine folks!

I apologize if this thread is erroneous or out of place. I did a quick search to see where other discussions of this topic might be and all I found was the main BR appreciation thread. I felt that this would be out of place there, but if there's somewhere else it needs to be please let me know.

Anyway, due to my ending up with an extra copy of Chuck Season 2 (since my original had not come with the promised 3D episode), I returned it to Best Buy only to find the return date had passed. They were very nice and offered me store credit, so I decided it might be time to upgrade my Blade Runner set to BD. Long story short, I seem to have the same problem others have had where my Disc 1 is actually a copy of Disc 5 (ergo, I have no Final Cut disc).

Since I have bought the set so long after the fact, do you guys think it's worth it for me to try and contact WHV for a replacement, or should I bring it back to Best Buy and cross my fingers that one of their other copies is correct?

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I'd try another Best Buy copy first, simply for the convenience. If that fails, you can always contact Warner.

I must say, my experience with their customer service was lousy; during the format war, Warner issued a Limited Edition tin of Forbidden Planet, with a Robby the Robot figure, and other tchotchkes. This was made available in DVD & HD DVD versions. Although I bought the HD DVD version, which was clearly labelled, inside was the DVD package. As I bought it online, I got a replacement and it was identical. I returned this second copy for a refund.

I tried another vendor, and exactly the same thing happened. I called Warner and explained the situation, and was told that I had to write to a certain department. I asked if they simply had a phone number and was told no - I had to do it in writing.

I wrote to them, and - surprise! - they never replied.

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill. :)
Okay, thanks guys. Shame that all this stuff keeps happening...sounds to me more and more that WHV needs to hire some more quality control people.

Haden

Supporting Actor
I recently purchased the 5-disc Blu Ray release of Blade Runner via Amazon.com and just discovered that Disc 1 (the Final Cut) is actually identical to Dic 5 (The Workprint). I'm quite pissed about it and want to figure out the best way to get this mislabeled disc replaced without having to return the entire set to Amazon. Does WB offer a disc exchange program where I can just send Disc 1 to them and get it individually replaced?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
This is a known issue, though it's pretty distressing that problematic sets are still being sold after more than two years.

According to Blade Runner's entry in the Blu-ray Glitch List, "Warner has a replacement program available," so I'd get in touch with them for a replacement disc.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info. I got this set for a sale price thru Amazon over Christmas and they are currently out of stock of the item. They offered to let me return the whole set and refund me the money so I could repurchase it elsewhere, but I seriously doubt I'd be able to find it again for the same price. Glad to know WB will replace it.

However... looking thru that other thread, I'm not seeing any details on how to contact WB for the replacement program. It simply states that there IS a replacement program. What's the phone number?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I don't actually have the disc myself, but I found the following note on a few different sites after a bit of Googling:

Quote:NOTE: A small number of Blade Runner 5-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition briefcase gift sets and Blade Runner 5-Disc Complete Collector's Editions in the Blu-ray format may contain an incorrect disc #5 labeled The Work Print. In some cases disc #5 does not have the work print content but rather the content of Blade Runner: The Final Cut, which is already included in the collector's set as disc #1. The only way to recognize the error is to play disc #5 and go to the Special Features page. If you see one commentary track by Paul M. Sammon, the disc is correct. If you see three commentary tracks, then they have an incorrect disc.
To receive a correct replacement Blu-ray disc #5, please call Warner Home Video at 1-800-553-6937.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Yup, I found that too. However, that's the exact opposite of my issue. My Disc 5 is fine. It's Disc 1 that needs to be replaced because it has Disc 5's Workprint but is incorrectly labeled as Disc 1. I need the REAL Disc 1 with the Final Cut on it, not another replacement Disc 5 as the program quoted above describes.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
That's strange, I wonder if this is actually unrelated to the previous issue, then, and just a coincidentally similar problem. Anyway, surely there should be some contact information on Warner's web site. Why not start there?

Haden

Supporting Actor
Well the glitch list link you posted before correctly describes the problem, so I assumed info was available for the WB replacement program that relates to it. However the only details I found about any WB replacement program for the BR discs (which you quoted above) is for the opposite issue. So it seems that they f'd up both ways on this -- some disc 1's mislabeled as disc 5, and some disc 5's mislabled as disc 1. Ugh...

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I purchased this from DD and I ended up with a disc 1 that actually had the workprint. I called the WB customer service # that is listed above and explained my problem. The customer service rep took my info and said a replacement would be in the mail soon. I called on the 8th of March and received my replacement Final Cut disc on the 12th. Kudos to the WB customer service department. Call them as soon as you can and you should get a replacement relatively quickly.

Doug

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I just checked that Glitch List again and noticed that both versions of this problem are listed. Having two Final Cuts and no Workprint is apparently a "past incident," whereas having two Workprints and no Final Cut (your problem, Haden) is a "current problem."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks