What's new

Black Friday - 2016 (1 Viewer)

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
A thread to post TV on DVD and Blu-Ray discounted deals as you see them on Black Friday or the days leading up to it...

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Corporate greed RUINED Black Friday. :angry:I'll recreate what a Detroit, Michigan TV station did on the day after Thanksgiving when I was a kid. At 9:00AM I'll watch The Man Called Flintstone. When the movie ends I'll watch a bunch of cartoon series until about 4:00 in the afternoon. when I'll watch Hey There, It's Yogi Bear.. I( LOVE recreating my childhood, one of the many things you can do with home video.:D Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone.:cheers:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I've stared at all the ads, read all the "Must Have BF Deals!!" articles, and when all was said and done, there was/isn't ONE thing on these "amazing deals!" lists that I have any desire to own. Nor do I need to get for any fam members for Xmas.

I too will ignore BF yet again without an ounce of regret. :)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Corporate greed RUINED Black Friday. :angry:I'll recreate what a Detroit, Michigan TV station did on the day after Thanksgiving when I was a kid. At 9:00AM I'll watch The Man Called Flintstone. When the movie ends I'll watch a bunch of cartoon series until about 4:00 in the afternoon. when I'll watch Hey There, It's Yogi Bear.. I( LOVE recreating my childhood, one of the many things you can do with home video.:D Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone.:cheers:

I'm skipping Black Friday as well. Nothing really exciting. It's mostly the same stuff from 2015 rehashed.

I agree about reliving your childhood day after Thanksgiving. Good idea! Time to break out the Atari 2600 and fill it in with some Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck after a round of Asteroids...

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I loved watching stuff like that and famous classic tales cartoons around the holidays.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I loved watching stuff like that and famous classic tales cartoons around the holidays.

I have a boatload of "Specials" that were made for the Holiday Season. Tonight is my "Thanksgiving Eve" programming. I'll watch The Hideaways followed by The Greatest Show on Earth. Back when I was a Teenager both of these movies were broadcast on the night before Thanksgiving. Tomorrow (After the Dinner ends) I will watch Molly's Pilgrim, Cricket on the Hearth and the movie Plymouth Adventure. From that point until 1/6/2017 I will be watching an TV Show's Christmas-themed episode followed by a Holiday Movie. :D Enjoy the Holidays! :cheers:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^I'm not holding my breath on that one... For my money, BF has been a big bust based on media sales. I placed a order this morning from BB since their stuff was available online. Amazon *still* hasn't posted a "Deals Calendar" or done anything media-wise other than PM a *few* titles from BB/Target/WM. That BB order was for ~$75 worth of titles, several of which are for the grandkids. BB actually beat the Amazon price by several $$ on a couple of titles I'd already ordered so those got cancelled and purchased from BB instead.

When it's all done, I'll have spent more at Amazon UK than from Amazon US this year. That's mainly been for some R2 TVonDVD titles the suits haven't seen fit to release in R1 but also a few region free BR sets which are less than half the cost of the same sets in the US.

On the plus side - I'll not be checking sale times/prices on the computer the next couple of days and will just watch movies and play games with the grandkids. :)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The ongoing Criterion Blu-Ray sale at B&N is the only thing I've taken advantage of this month for media sales. Got 1944's 'The Uninvited' on the way, which is the best ghost movie they ever made. And thanks to 50% off, it was only $15. :)

I might brave a Wal-Mart this evening for some videogames. I thought I could order them at their website 11 hours ago, but they're apparently mostly in-store only offers in their ad. There's one in particular that I want that normally goes for $50-$60, but they have it for $25.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I've stared at all the ads, read all the "Must Have BF Deals!!" articles, and when all was said and done, there was/isn't ONE thing on these "amazing deals!" lists that I have any desire to own.

Is it because all the offers that were listed were of new and current series, or were there any older series that did not look that appealing to you?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I had price watches set for Person of Interest: Season 5 and Arrow: Season 4 on Blu-Ray which were both triggered today. Got the former for $14.96 and the latter for $19.95. Also picked up Crimson Peak for $6.96. I'm still holding out hope for a good a price on the Twin Peaks Blu-Ray set.

The only other TV title on my wishlist is The 100: Season 3 on Blu-Ray. But that's a Warner Archive release, so I'm not holding my breath for a great sale price.

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
picked up Godzilla 3D for $4. Well with amazon card reward points of about $10. VERY happy. Planning trip to Walmart and biglots tomorrow. That's about it.

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
^ When it's all done, I'll have spent more at Amazon UK than from Amazon US this year. That's mainly been for some R2 TVonDVD titles the suits haven't seen fit to release in R1 but also a few region free BR sets which are less than half the cost of the same sets in the US.:)

For me in the UK this year due to the changes in the $:£ exchange rate this has meant I would incur customs fees above the £15 free threshold for $ prices that wouldn't have last year.

These have been useful, several different display options under each;

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?sortby=day&category=tvshows

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/sales.cfm?Discount=55&MinSavings=0&MaxPrice=1000&Genre=0&Sort=8

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Amazon's lack of a "Deals Calendar" meant I spent more money elsewhere. Best Buy got the bulk since their media deals were online early and they offered free shipping. I got a few from Target that I'll pick up today (but it's raining here - blech - making pickup a bit of a pain but likely better than a BF weekend visit). Toys R Us got my video game purchases (Skylanders for a grandson). Walmart got zilch as they didn't put up what I wanted online for store pickup and didn't reduce their outrageous "free" shipping minimum. I spent less at Amazon this year than in any year since I started BF purchases online. It's all because they didn't have a "Deals Calendar" and were often *very* late matching other B&M prices.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Another very dissapointing black Friday and cyber Monday. Much like last year I am spending nothing. Only deals are on a few mediocre new movies they are trying to dump. 23 blu ray in my amazon cart and not one of them discounted since Friday. No sale amazon

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have to slightly amend my purchases. I read on another forum that someone picked up The 100 S3 from WM online and some stores had copies. I happened to go to WM this evening with my daughter, found the BF media display, and sitting on top was the *sole* copy of The 100 S3! It went home with me - ~$7, which is a bargain when you consider it's not been below ~$25 at Amazon since its release.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Another very dissapointing black Friday and cyber Monday. Much like last year I am spending nothing. Only deals are on a few mediocre new movies they are trying to dump. 23 blu ray in my amazon cart and not one of them discounted since Friday. No sale amazon

If you were expecting Black Friday Deal discounts to be reflected on items in your shopping cart, I'm almost 100% certain Amazon's BF deals don't work that way. Although you will see a reduced price if you look for it through the Black Friday Deals interface, they don't actually reduce the purchase price on the 'normal' item. When you go to check out, it will appear at "full" price on your invoice, but will have a "promotional discount" reflected below the subtotal. No idea what you had in your cart, but it's quite possible you might have missed a deal if that was the only way you were tracking the items you wanted.

That method works great on a normal basis, but doesn't work at all on Black Friday, in my experience.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I checked the items in a search a few times to make sure and none were on sale. It was just like last year it wasn't a real sale like in the past were nearly every item is on sale. Its just a way for them to dump mostly new titles that they are stuck with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks