What's new

Biamping idea? Way off base? (1 Viewer)

Amit Singla

Auditioning
I have a pair of Mission 775's for my front speakers and am using a Yamaha RX-795 for my receiver.

My missions support bi-amping. My theory was to run the HF wires from the speakers to the inputs for Speaker Set 'A' on my receiver. Then run the wires from LF to Speaker Set 'B' on my receiver. Finally, I would just enable Speaker 'B' on my receiver so it would seem to the receiver that I have to sets of speakers running (A nd B).

Is there a benefit to this? I was thinking that separating the LF and the HF might produce better sound.

Amit Singla

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You'd be better off with separate amps powering the 2 sections of each speaker if you want to try bi-amping.

Using the receiver's A and B speaker connections doesn't really accompligh bi-amping.

Amit Singla

Auditioning
Thanks for that. Even though it doesn't accomplish bi-amping, would separating the LF and the HF the way I set it up produce better sound?

The reason I ask is that when listening to pink noise with speaker set B (HF) on and off, I get 2 entirely different sounds. I just can't tell if its the "right" sound. It just sounds different.

Amit Singla

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Well, if you're turning ON and OFF the tweater, this will absolutely result in a vastly different sound. You're turing off the HF of the tone!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
To be totally 100% clear, what's been said is correct, but running A and B off a receiver is biwiring.

Biamping requires separate amps, two for each speakers. SOME high-end receivers have like 7 or channels, designed to be used in a 7.1 system, but the extra two can be assigned to a second zone. Using these, as TRUE zone two B outputs would give you biamping instead, as you'd have different amp circuits driving both portions. However, they'd still be using the same power supply, so you could do better biamping by using monaural amps, or separate stereo amps, likely.

Also click the FAQ link in vince's signature, it explains biwiring versus biamping, and the different kinds of biamping (pretty well too, if i recall). The benefits of biwiring are very dubious at best. The only real thing you're doing is running two sets of wire to the same place, and moving the split from at the speaker, to at the amp. You'd have to beleive very highly that speaker wires make a significant difference in SQ, something that I do not beleive, at least in my setup.

Biamping, however, can provide significant benefits, and very understandably, as you can dedicate amps for much more power, and separate heavlily drawn down amps (for bass) from distorting the sound to the highs, for instance, or keep both channels very much completely independant, or even use different amps for each section of the speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks