What's new

bi-amp or not to bi-am (1 Viewer)

ELSock

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
ok i was wondering if it is possible to bi-amp my mains for 2ch stereo listening and not lose my 7.1. my mains are polk audio rm50t's, and my reciever is a pioneer elite 81txv.
so i want them bi-amp'ed when listenin in 2ch mode, and not bi-amp'ed when watching a movie, unless the bi-amp'ing isn't going to effect the movie surround.

also is it a bad idea to add an amp to my speakers ontop of the receiver amp, or should i add an actual amp as well?

thx
~ELSock~

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Well, that sounds like a train wreck just about to happen....not puttin' ya down, but I doubt that the receiver is designed to handle such a configuration.

You could get separate amplifiers just for your mains, and always bi-amp them, but seriously you wouldn't gain much. Are the speakers designed for bi-amping? If not, then you can't do so anyway.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
In order to bi-amp, most speakers have you disconnect a bridge between the two sets of terminals. Also, bi-amping requires wiring through crossovers that aren't really easy to bypass once they are wired in. So switching from 2-channel to 7.1 channel would require reconnecting the bridge and getting the crossovers out of the equation somehow - pretty time consuming if you ask me.

Have you thought of purchasing seperate amps so you can bi-amp the fronts at all times? This would be the most practical (and typical) setup and I see no reason why the benefits of bi-amping your fronts for stereo would adversely effect the fronts for 7.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks