What's new

Bewitched Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Rutgar

Second Unit
It's too bad they didn't just put both the B&W and Color episodes in a single package.

I must admit though, that although I have vivid childhood memories of Bewitched in B&W (our TV was B&W as well), If I buy one of the sets, it most likely will be the Color edition.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
We'll be lucky to get anything that resembles the opening credits from 1964. Usually, the credits from later seasons are used, with the color turned down.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

We'll be lucky to get anything that resembles the opening credits from 1964. Usually, the credits from later seasons are used, with the color turned down.

You will be able to tell because there is a copyright
notice in the opening credits when the title "Bewitched"
comes up. If the titles are the original it will say 1964 in roman numerials. I would think the colorized set would just use a later season for the titles. The opening stayed the same until the second Darrin Why pay money to colorize a title that already exists in color.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
And also, the original syndicated openings (similar to the original primetime openings, but without the sponsor logos) had much more elaborate animation backgrounds on the 2 black & white seasons (more stars, different buildings, etc.) and the opening theme was played somewhat differently each season up thru season 4. It was always cool to see/hear the difference as I watched the reruns in the mid-1970's.

If anyone has the Columbia House tapes, they can see the difference in the B&W animation on the episode "Follow That Witch Pt. 2" which was from an older print. Compare it to the opening on "Follow That Witch Pt. 1" and you can see the changes.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Hopefully, if we can't have the sponsor openings, they'll at least give us the pleasure of having the syndicated 1st season openings.

I remember when I first saw those it was on Nick-at-Nite in the early 90s. I thought it was so cool! Especially the more stars in the sky and the door and cabinets in the kitchen.

But, dammit, I want sponsor openings!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Considering that most of the sponsors are still around and going strong, it would have been interesting to see if they would have been interested in ponying up a small amount toward the restoration of the credits in exchange for what would be a bunch of built-in commercials. Ah well, a pipe dream to be sure, but a delightful one anyway. I can just imagine sticking in the new DVDs and seeing pristine, gorgeous original primetime openings with the Chevy logo, or Quaker Oats. But I have a feeling we all know what credits we'll be seeing on the DVDS. (But I'll treasure them anyway.)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

I had been thinking the same thing. You would think those sponsors would love having the free advertising, even if it might be for products no longer around.

I even went looking on the Chevy and Quaker Oats sites to see if they might say something about this...but of course their was nothing.

And like you said at the end, I'll treasure them anyway.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
All though I'm more than pleased and excited and happy about BW coming to DVD, I really wish Sony had chose first season pictures to adorn the cover of the box. So I made up what I think they should've done. Now, I don't have fancy schmancy art programs on this dinosaur computer but you get the general idea.

But of course, it's not what's on the packaging, it's what's on the inside that counts:)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

"Ditto" for me :emoji_thumbsup:

It's strange that Sony didn't go with a similar cover art that's actually from S1. Oh well, since we TV/DVD collectors have to take what we get, I'm just happy it's finally getting released on DVD. I was beginning to wonder how long we were going to wait before this series made it to DVD.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Thanks guys!

Sony should just take my idea and then when Season 4 rolls around they can use their original cover and not have to worry about it.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Everywhere I look this is listed as Black & White or Colorized but I'm sure I read on a forum the the Color version was how it was originally film but just never shown in color due to the lack of color TVs.

Can anyone confirm this or shatter my hopes?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The first and second seasons were shot and broadcast in black and white. The series went color in the third year.

The DVDs are being offered in both the original black and white as well as colorized versions.

The color versions are about the best colorized material I've ever seen, but many fans will still want the unaltered versions.

I DREAM OF JEANNIE was shot in B/W the first year also, and those episodes were also colorized in recent years. I'd expect Sony will offer both versions of that season as well.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Sony has created a small website for the DVDs which you can access by clicking here.

Also trailers for the DVDs can be seen on the Partridge Family s.1 and the most recent Dawson's Creek release.

I can't believe that in just about one month I will FINALLY, after so long, be able to watch BW on DVD!!!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I thought I would ask which of the first season episodes (besides the obvious answer of ALL) you are most looking forward to?

Here is a list (courtesy of Harpies Bizarre) with a brief description:

1. I, Darrin, Take This Witch, Samantha - Darrin and Samantha meet and get married.

2. Be It Ever So Mortgaged - The newlyweds go house hunting.

3. Mother Meets What’s-His-Name - Darrin meets Endora.

4. It Shouldn’t Happen to a Dog - Samantha turns a client into a dog.

5. Help, Help, Don’t Save Me - Darrin thinks Samantha uses witchcraft to help him.

6. Little Pitchers Have Big Fears - Samantha helps a boy overcome an overprotective mother.

7. The Witches Are Out - Samantha teaches a client about witches.

8. The Girl Reporter - A teen age reporter flips over Darrin.

9. Witch or Wife - Endora and Samantha are off to Paris.

10. Just One Happy Family - Darrin meets Samantha's father, Maurice.

11. It Takes One to Know One - Endora tests Darrin's fidelity.

12. …And Something Makes Three - Larry thinks it is Samantha, not Louise, who is pregnant.

13. Love Is Blind - Samantha plays matchmaker for Kermit and Gertrude.

14. Samantha Meets the Folks - Darrin's parents come to visit for the first time.

15. A Vision of Sugar Plums - Samantha teaches an orphan the real meaning of Christmas.

16. It’s Magic - Samantha finds an entertainer for the hospital benefit.

17. A Is For Aardvark - Darrin has a taste of being able to do magic.

18. The Cat’s Meow - The head of a cosmetics firm pursues Darrin, but he's chasing her cat because he thinks it is Samantha.

19. A Nice Dinner Party - Endora meets Frank and Phyllis Stephens, and Phyllis gets a sick headache when she fears her marriage is over.

20. Your Witch Is Showing - Samantha deals with Darrin's aggressive new assistant.

21. Ling Ling - Samantha provides a model for an ad campaign.

22. Eye of the Beholder - Darrin wonders just how old Samantha really is.

23. Red Light, Green Light - Samantha helps to get a new stop light for Morning Glory Circle.

24. Which Witch Is Which? - Endora impersonates Samantha and dates Darrin's friend.

25. Pleasure O’Reilly - The Stephens' have a new neighbor, Pleasure O'Reilly.

26. Driving Is the Only Way To Fly - Samantha takes driving lessons.

27. There’s No Witch Like an Old Witch - Aunt Clara suffers from power failure and becomes a baby sitter.

28. Open the Door Witchcraft - The Stephens' get an electric garage door opener and it causes conflict.

29. Abner Kadabra - Gladys believes that she is the one with magical powers after she catches Samantha using witchcraft.

30. George, the Warlock - Endora enlists warlock George to break up Samantha's marriage.

31. That Was My Wife - The Tates suspect Darrin is having an affair when Samantha sports a dark wig.

32. Illegal Separation - Samantha reunites the Kravitzes after they have a fight.

33. A Change of Face - Endora and Samantha redo Darrin's face while he sleeps.

34. Remember the Main - Samantha and Darrin get involved in a political campaign.

35. Eat at Mario’s - Endora and Samantha make their favorite restaurant a success.

36. Cousin Edgar - Cousin Edgar makes life miserable for Darrin.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter

David,
Do you have a list of the episodes from the first season that weren't released on video via Columbia House.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I was actually going to answer my own question right after I posted but I got distracted...but Ron, here is the answer to your question, which was going to be the answer to my question:)

2. Be It Ever So Mortgaged - The newlyweds go house hunting.

5. Help, Help, Don’t Save Me - Darrin thinks Samantha uses witchcraft to help him.

8. The Girl Reporter - A teen age reporter flips over Darrin.

12. …And Something Makes Three - Larry thinks it is Samantha, not Louise, who is pregnant.

13. Love Is Blind - Samantha plays matchmaker for Kermit and Gertrude.

26. Driving Is the Only Way To Fly - Samantha takes driving lessons.

28. Open the Door Witchcraft - The Stephens' get an electric garage door opener and it causes conflict.

30. George, the Warlock - Endora enlists warlock George to break up Samantha's marriage.

33. A Change of Face - Endora and Samantha redo Darrin's face while he sleeps.

34. Remember the Main - Samantha and Darrin get involved in a political campaign.

36. Cousin Edgar - Cousin Edgar makes life miserable for Darrin.

Of course I took out the holiday ones that were released on their own videos, presumably unedited.

It's going to be so awesome seeing the episodes listed above in their entirety! For me especially "George, the Warlock". It's one of my favorite episodes and it's butchered all to heck when seen on TV.

Now "A is for Aardvark" another I'm excited for though I do have a full version of that...but it'll be cool to have a nice crisp version...not only of that but of all of them!

Only THREE MORE WEEKS!!!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Ditto :emoji_thumbsup:

Ok, since you're obviously one of the "fanatic" BW fans out there :) , I have to ask: Are you getting the Black/White one or the Colorized one? (I'm a Black/White buyer all the way)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks